VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just got a new Vizio P50HDTV and I would like to connect my PC's NVidia card's HDMi output to the Vizio RGB using Windows XP SP2. I set the Windows resolution to 1024x768 @ 60Hz refresh rate. When the PC boots up, you see the BIOs screen and then the Windows XP startup screen, but when Windows finally starts, the screen goes blank and I get a message that says "invalid mode".

It has to do with the refresh rate because I booted into safe mode with no problems. When I checked the screen resolution and it was at 1024x768, but the refresh rate was set to "Default for Monitor".

I don't know how to force this same "Default for Monitor" mode while in Windows. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It needs to be set for 60Hz.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I set the PC to 1024x768 at 60Hz refresh and it doesnt work, as stated above, it says it is an Invalid Mode. If I go into Safe Mode, Windows show the refresh rate as Monitor Default. When I was able to get this to work on a newer Visio 37in, the Monitor 5efault refresh rate was really 59.71, not 60 and I think this is tje problem, but I domt know how to force Windows to use Default Monitor Refresh Rate, not 60Hz.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. OK I have to ask are you using the computer in? That would be the standard 15 VGA plug. Blue area on the back of the panel.

The manual says 1024 by 768 at 60 Hz. Per page 32 of the online manual I looked at. This would the link to the manual I found.

http://www.vizio.com/media/products/pdfs/Manual_P50HDTV10A(1).pdf If that is the wrong model? Appologies.

I use a 32" Westinghouse LCD. Set to a higher resolution. It goes up to 1366 by 768. I don't know why your suggests 1024 by 768 but there it is. Anyway I use VGA from the computer and it has a jack the same size as the computers headphone jack for audio. I just need to get the cable.

Good Luck
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the info. Yes, this is the right model. I am running from the DVI output on my PC to the RGB input on the TV. The cable is a DVI to RGB. I got a RGB to RGB cable I will try tonight, but in the end, I still want to use the DVI output. I wish I had a DVI to HDMI cable, I think it would provide the best picture for playing video on the PC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MickeyMouse
    Thanks for the info. Yes, this is the right model. I am running from the DVI output on my PC to the RGB input on the TV. The cable is a DVI to RGB. I got a RGB to RGB cable I will try tonight, but in the end, I still want to use the DVI output. I wish I had a DVI to HDMI cable, I think it would provide the best picture for playing video on the PC.
    ??? "RGB cable" as in analog component? Analog component is YPbPr, not RGB.

Or DVI-I to VGA? VGA is RGB+HV sync. This is the cable Vizio wants you to use.

DVI-I to HDMI may or may not work. Consult your manual.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Personaly I'd go with the Computer input. Vizio shows adjustments for it that are most likely not accessible via the HDMI inputs.

Computer out to computer in = easiest way.
    Quote Quote  
  8. The solution was to use a straight through VGA cable. The DVI to VGA would not work, once I used a VGA to VGA cable, it worked great.

Thanks everyone for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MickeyMouse View Post
    I just got a new Vizio P50HDTV and I would like to connect my PC's NVidia card's HDMi output to the Vizio RGB using Windows XP SP2. I set the Windows resolution to 1024x768 @ 60Hz refresh rate. When the PC boots up, you see the BIOs screen and then the Windows XP startup screen, but when Windows finally starts, the screen goes blank and I get a message that says "invalid mode".

It has to do with the refresh rate because I booted into safe mode with no problems. When I checked the screen resolution and it was at 1024x768, but the refresh rate was set to "Default for Monitor".

I don't know how to force this same "Default for Monitor" mode while in Windows. Any ideas?
    the resolution is to high on XP pro. it will never work on this p50hdtv NEVER,it will open xp and then shut off or go into sleep mode right, you need to get new software and reformat your pc to widow 2000 pro. only,
    Last edited by bottel01; 7th Jul 2011 at 19:56. Reason: bad spelling
    Quote Quote