VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Is there any difference in video quality between 1080i thru Component vs 1080i thru HDMI?
    What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity....
    Quote Quote  
  2. HDMI is a digital signal format, developed primarily as a platform for the implementation of HDCP (High Definition Content Protection) to prevent consumers from having complete access to the contents of high-definition digital recordings. As one might expect from a standard that was developed to serve the content provider industries, rather than the best interests of the consumer, HDMI is something of a mess. The signal is not robust over distance because it was designed to run balanced when it should have been run unbalanced (SDI, the commercial digital video standard, can be run hundreds of feet over a single coax without any performance issues); the HDMI cable is an unnecessarily-complicated rat's-nest arrangement involving nineteen conductors; switches, repeaters and distribution amplifiers, by virtue of this complicated scheme, are made unnecessarily expensive; and the HDMI plug is prone to falling out of the jack with little more than a light tug. As more and more manufacturers move to implement HDMI on more home theater devices, however, it falls to the consumer to try to make the best of this dubious and poorly-thought-out standard.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/dvi/index.htm
    Quote Quote  
  3. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Well that did nothing for me? I already have both HDMI and Componet cables both less then 6ft long. My question was, is there a difference in video quality for an outputted 1080i signal between Component or HDMI cables?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    not really -- depends on the display in real world comparison
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Where did you get a 1080i signal DD?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In theory, both can perform equally. Cheaper consumer equipment may have lower performance D/A, A/D components that might tip the balance to HDMI. Try both and see which looks better to you. The signal coming to your house probably passed through several D/A A/D conversions on it's way. The playback VCR's at the networks all play back 1440x1080i or 1280x720p (ABC, ESPN and FOX).

If and when all the copy protection schemes get implemented, the user is forced into an encrypted HDMI + HDCP connection to get 720p or 1080i. Analog and non-authenticated DVI/HDMI connections will be forced to drop resolution below 960x540 (quarter resolution).

True HD sources like BD/HD DVD eventually require HDMI. Current BD, HD discs have the encryption requirement turned off.
    Quote Quote  
  7. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The 1080i signal is from a comcast cable box, or my sony upconverting dvd player. My DLP has 2 hdmi inputs, but one is really for a pc hook-up(only has birhgtness, contrast tint for the settings, where as HDMI1 has settings to change individual colors, and other specs.) What I found out was that all 3 of my component can receive 1080i and have all the settings that the HDMI1 has. So that is the reasoning for this thread. Currently I am running the Comcast cable box on HDMI1, and the Sony on HDMI2. I think the picture looks fine on the sony in HDMI2, but was curious if changing it to Component and playing with the settings maybe the video would look even better after running a AVIA dvd.

I already own the HDMI cables as well as the component cables.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All I can say is try both and compare. Walmart sells double shielded 10 ft analog component cables for ~$19.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  9. On my 42" flat-panel TV, the difference was nothing short of dramatic. Nothing at all like digital to analog comparison on a PC monitor.

Outstanding improvement in quality. Almost like comparing an SD channel to an HD channel, for some of the poorer conversions using HDMI over component is a bigger improvement.

Even casually interested observers noticed an obvious improvement, everyone I know who did not have an HDMI cable yet and was wondering this same question immediately went out to get one. 3 or 4 people so far.

Wal-mart, the poor person's Wonderland, had a decent cable far cheaper than any other store.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Mileage varies. If the difference was like SD to HD something else was wrong. Either the cable box or the TV was lacking.

HDMI should set the standard. Analog component won't be better but should be close and below 42" there is little reason you should see much difference. For longer cable runs, well shielded analog component should do better. HDMI gets pixel timing jitters.
    Quote Quote  
  11. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've got a 52" DLP. So ed your saying that the 1080i signal would most likely look best through the HDMI, more so than the Component?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    depends on the display -- there is no magic equation
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Denvers Dawgs
    I've got a 52" DLP. So ed your saying that the 1080i signal would most likely look best through the HDMI, more so than the Component?
    They should look near equal. The YPbPr connection may be inferior for a particular TV or cable box. Borrow an HDMI cable and see if you see a difference. If you shop wisely, an HDMI cable doesn't need to be expensive.
    http://bluejeanscable.com/store/dvi/index.htm

Many have a single HDMI connection at the TV and need to use it for an upscaling DVD player (e.g. Oppo) or HD/BD DVD player. If the cable box looks OK with analog component, the HDMI port is freed for DVD. Otherwise you need an expensive HDMI switch.
    Quote Quote  
  14. You definitely want to keep that Sony up-converting DVD player hooked up to one of those HDMI inputs, otherwise you will not be able to benefit from the up-conversion feature (since it only works through the HDMI output). The DVD player likely has several picture adjustments built into it you could use for AVIA tweaking, so that second HDMI input on your DLP should be fine to use for the Sony. Still, I think I would run the player into the first HDMI input, the cable box into the second one. Every cable channel and individual programs vary quite a bit from each other, so you can go nuts trying to "dial in" the cable box picture.

As far as your cable box goes, try it both ways (HDMI and component video) to see if there are any differences you can detect. The HDMI connection may have a bit sharper picture, but it depends alot on the cable box itself and the quality of your cable signals (as well as your TV's handling of those signals).

Don't get suckered into buying expensive HDMI cables. It's a digital connection so fancy "upscale" cables make absolutley no difference at all. The basic HDMI cables from MonoPrice.com are excellent and cost less than $10.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In my opinion connection over hdmi is much better if the source signal is from hddvd or blueray in 1080p standard. But is source is from HDTV satellite broadcast much better result will be using component.
    It is because the quality of sat signal is different on each provider and channel. The component connection lets use digital processing in your tv and this way video result should be better if you compare it with hdmi connection where no digital processing is using for enhance the video result.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by edDV
    In theory, both can perform equally. Cheaper consumer equipment may have lower performance D/A, A/D components that might tip the balance to HDMI. Try both and see which looks better to you. The signal coming to your house probably passed through several D/A A/D conversions on it's way. The playback VCR's at the networks all play back 1440x1080i or 1280x720p (ABC, ESPN and FOX).

If and when all the copy protection schemes get implemented, the user is forced into an encrypted HDMI + HDCP connection to get 720p or 1080i. Analog and non-authenticated DVI/HDMI connections will be forced to drop resolution below 960x540 (quarter resolution).

True HD sources like BD/HD DVD eventually require HDMI. Current BD, HD discs have the encryption requirement turned off.
    Hi,got a question,can u help me?I've got up to 1080i trough components(no hdmi).I play a lot PS3 games on my LCD monitor.Can you tell me the differnce between 1080i trough the Official Ps3 Component and 1080i@hdmi using the official ps3 HDMI cables in %?Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Super_Saiyajin
    Originally Posted by edDV

Hi,got a question,can u help me?I've got up to 1080i trough components(no hdmi).I play a lot PS3 games on my LCD monitor.Can you tell me the differnce between 1080i trough the Official Ps3 Component and 1080i@hdmi using the official ps3 HDMI cables in %?Thanks in advance.
    For games expect no difference since they are much lower native resolution. If you are talking about playing Blu-Ray DVD on the PC3 I'd need to know the model number of the LCD TV.
    Quote Quote  
  18. For games expect no difference since they are much lower native resolution. If you are talking about playing Blu-Ray DVD on the PC3 I'd need to know the model number of the LCD TV.[/quote]

Ummm,I'm talking in general,but if you need know my model:Sony MFMHT75W 17"LCD multi functional monitor.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ummm,I'm talking in general,but if you need know my model:Sony MFMHT75W 17"LCD multi functional monitor.
    Your display resolution is only 1280 x 768 so Blu-Ray would be a waste. That is a good resolution for games and playing normal DVD.

From the PS3, HDMI and analog component should look similar.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by edDV
    Your display resolution is only 1280 x 768 so Blu-Ray would be a waste. That is a good resolution for games and playing normal DVD.

in %??Approx.,I know you can't really wrk out a percentage,but approximatly how much % would you say there is?Provided we compare the Official PS3 cables?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

in %??Approx.,I know you can't really wrk out a percentage,but approximatly how much % would you say there is?Provided we compare the Official PS3 cables?
    Zero % for that monitor and most others.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by edDV

wow,well what do you know...thanks man, I owe you one!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

wow,well what do you know...thanks man, I owe you one!
    Your TV specs.
    http://electronics.pricegrabber.com/plasma-lcd-televisions/m/7777066/details/
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by edDV
    The playback VCR's at the networks all play back 1440x1080i or 1280x720p (ABC, ESPN and FOX).
    I think you should preface that with, Stations that still use tape.
    BTW, VCRs?? Think you mean DVCPro's and 1 inch reals don't ya?
    Then again almost every station will up convert everything except what they get down the pipe from thier affiliate. then most of this is just set on a delay.
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by stiltman
    The playback VCR's at the networks all play back 1440x1080i or 1280x720p (ABC, ESPN and FOX).
    I think you should preface that with, Stations that still use tape.
    BTW, VCRs?? Think you mean DVCPro's and 1 inch reals don't ya?
    Then again almost every station will up convert everything except what they get down the pipe from thier affiliate. then most of this is just set on a delay.
    I'm talking about the HDCAM and DVCProHD tapes that are used for distribution and loading playout servers. HDCAM 1080i is 1440x1080, 720p is 1280x720. DVCProHD records 1280x1080i or 960x720p. If these get upconverted for distriblution at 1920x1080i and 1280x720p that doesn't raise the detail in the picture.

The broadcast people understand bit rate is more important than pixel resolution for picture quality. HDCAM records at 144 Mb/s and DVCProHD at 100 Mb/s. Network distribution is done ~25-45 Mb/s and broadcast is 12-19 Mb/s.
    Quote Quote  
  26. CBS is mostly 45
    Our main channel is currently constant at 17 (we have to subs)
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  27. for what it is worth . . .

I'm a recent convert to high definition TV - running a 46" Sharp 1080P LCD. My cable source is a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR - and also have a Sony upconverting dvd player. This TV has 2 hdmi ports - both apparently with equal capabilities - the dvd player plugged into 1 - and the dvr plugged into the other. I keep the TV set for "dot by dot" display when viewing anything coming over the hdmi cables.
    I played around with and experimented with component connections before settling on the hdmi connections. I am convinced that for me - the hdmi connections are the best choice because it seems to result in the best viewing experience as it seems to maintain the aspect ratio exactly of the originating signal/program while taking full advantage of the 1080 size of my tv screen. If I ever add a DVD recorder, it will be an upconverting model, and I plan to find a way to use a switch to also connect that to the tv via hdmi.
    I am not using expensive cables. I picked up cables locally when on sale for a very reasonable cost (under $10 each) and they work just fine. One of the cables was supplied by my cable company when I switched to high def.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd agree if you have a 1080p set HDMI is the best way to go but source (other than HD/BD DVD) will be 1080i or 720p and all TV sets overscan so there will be no pixel by pixel mapping. All pixels need to be processed from 1080i or 720p.

Most cable/sat distribution is 480i/1080i interlace so set top box 1080i makes most sense for a 1080p set. The TV still needs to process the inverse telecine or deinterlace to 1080p. A typical 1366x768 progressive TV should be tested with 1080i and 720p. For 1080i, the heavy processing load falls to the TV. A 720p setting places the heavy processing load on the set top box. A QAM tuner is best for getting true 720p/59.94 for sports from ABC/FOX.
    Quote Quote