VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys I got some videos I wanted to put on a DVD but I can only fit 3 on which makes no sense because the DVD is 4.7 GB. I want it to be high quality. I would like to fit at least 14 videos on it. Im using Nero StartSmart as a burning program, I tried putting 14 videos on it, then I hit "Automatic (fit to disc)" which makes it fit to disc and it changes the quality and other settings around so it fits. It WAS 720 x 480 (CCIR-601 D1) on high quality, thats when i can only fit 3 videos on it. Then it went to 352 x 240 (1/4 D1) when I made it fit to disc automaticly and that was when I could fit 14 videos on it. Is there a way I can play around with the video settings myself and make it so it still comes out good quality? - Thanks!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I hesitate to ask, but just how long are these videos?

If I were you, I wouldn't use a Nero product for anything except maybe burning to disc. And that's a big "maybe".
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You might want to look into using a bitrate calculator. Take the running time of all your videos and input that. If you see a bitrate of 5000kbps or more, that's good quality. If you see a bitrate between 5000 and 3000, marginal. If you see a bitrate between 2000 and 3000, consider 1/2 D1 format. If you see a bitrate lower than 2000, consider MPEG-1 and the VCD format. These are all generalizations, but may give you somewhere to start, no matter which MPEG encoder you use.

The VideoHelp Bitrate calculator does a fair job.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks! I got my resolution set to: 352 x 480 (Half D1)
    Bit Rate: 1691 kbit/s
    Video Format: MPEG-2
    Should that do it?
    And what other burning program should I use rather then nero?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    You might want to look into using a bitrate calculator. Take the running time of all your videos and input that. If you see a bitrate of 5000kbps or more, that's good quality. If you see a bitrate between 5000 and 3000, marginal. If you see a bitrate between 2000 and 3000, consider 1/2 D1 format. If you see a bitrate lower than 2000, consider MPEG-1 and the VCD format. These are all generalizations, but may give you somewhere to start, no matter which MPEG encoder you use.

The VideoHelp Bitrate calculator does a fair job.

And welcome to our forums.
    Thanks! I got my resolution set to: 352 x 480 (Half D1)
    Bit Rate: 1691 kbit/s
    Video Format: MPEG-2
    Should that do it?
    And what other burning program should I use rather then nero?
    Oh yeah the file type is .AVI

AHHH! Sorry guys didnt mean to double post.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, that's more like 'bumping' than a double post. But you're new here, no problem.

If you are using 1/2 D1, then you have most of it figured out. You can only do so much compression with the MPEG format. More compression and you might think about a Xvid/Divx format and a set top player that can accept them.

Nero is fine for just burning. Where it has problems is with encoding and authoring. It tries to do everything and ends up doing none of it very well.

To graduate from Nero, you need to do a bit of study. I use TMPGEnc encoder and TMPGEnc DVD Author most of the time because they are easy. But there are very good freeware equivalents. HC for an encoder and GUI for dvdauthor are both good. But a little harder to learn.

The procedure is simple enough, CAPTURE>EDIT>ENCODE>AUTHOR>BURN I use ImgBurn to burn to DVD most times.

Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use more discs.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote