VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello

I tried the search and nothing useful came up.

I have converted a file from RAM format to AVI using VirtualDub. The video quality is slightly blurry, and the audio has a lot of background noise. I need to remove the noise from the audio and make the video a bit sharp.

I imported the Avi to Vegas and when I double clicked, it only imported the audio track to the timeline, it left out the video. I tried it with another AVI file, with the same result. It does not show Video Preview.

Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    what video codec are you using when converting to avi? under video>compression in virtualdub.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Im using VirtualDub 1.6.0.0 Surround build 2560

Codec = Xvid MPEG-4 Codec

I tried the same file in ULead VideoStudio and MPEG Wizard DVD, they both of them displayed the video with no problems.

The only problem is with Vegas, it is displaying other files but not AVI.

The most odd thing is that I imported the same file to Sony Sound Forge 9 and it also displayed the Video at the top.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Vegas will work with Xvid and Divx, although it doesn't really like them as they are not good editing formats.

One of the best discussions on noise reduction is this post : https://forum.videohelp.com/topic309181.html which includes lots of good examples as well. It uses avisynth, which is a better tool for this type of work anyway.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. If it were me that had to have the cleanest video possible, I would do the following:
    1) Use VDub and extract each frame out as a BMP or some uncompressed picture file.
    2) Use a photo program (Photoshop, Photoimpact) and a plugin (Noiseninja, Neat Image) and run each frame of the video through one of these filters and whatever other filters (sharp, etc) I wanted to try. It may take a little longer, but in the long run I believe it would be quicker for you than learning avisynth and trying to decide what filter chain to use with it.
    Both mentioned programs have batch features which will let you automate your task on a particular folder.
    After they are done processing you can bring the entire batch of photos into vegas and recreate your video.

I have had problems getting Divx/Xvid files to load in Vegas. For some reason it doesn't like these types of files. Some folks can get them to load some can't. It may have something to do with having both codecs (Divx, XVid) on your system. You may want to remove one and then try loading Vegas with a file. It worked for me once, a long time ago. But since then, no go.
    Anyway, good luck with your video.
    Mark
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't expect stellar results. Garbage in, garbage out.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mwkurt
    If it were me that had to have the cleanest video possible, I would do the following:
    1) Use VDub and extract each frame out as a BMP or some uncompressed picture file.
    2) Use a photo program (Photoshop, Photoimpact) and a plugin (Noiseninja, Neat Image) and run each frame of the video through one of these filters and whatever other filters (sharp, etc) I wanted to try. It may take a little longer, but in the long run I believe it would be quicker for you than learning avisynth and trying to decide what filter chain to use with it.
    Both mentioned programs have batch features which will let you automate your task on a particular folder.
    After they are done processing you can bring the entire batch of photos into vegas and recreate your video.

I have had problems getting Divx/Xvid files to load in Vegas. For some reason it doesn't like these types of files. Some folks can get them to load some can't. It may have something to do with having both codecs (Divx, XVid) on your system. You may want to remove one and then try loading Vegas with a file. It worked for me once, a long time ago. But since then, no go.
    Anyway, good luck with your video.
    Mark
    Hello Mark

Is there a tutorial on the way you described.

Also, should the audio be edited by importing the avi video file into Soundforge or audition or does Vegas, Ulead Studio does audio editing as well ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The problem with the Photoshop approach for general noise removal is that the filters are not temporal. They concentrate only on a single frame at a time. Good noise removal filters look at the noise shift between previous frames, the current frames, and the following frames to make intelligent decisions about what is noise, and how best to remove it. Photoshop filters are designed for still image work. if you need to paint out a major object or do cable removal on a few frames then Photoshop is a good option. For video noise reduction is it completely the wrong tool.

The other problem with using Photoshop actions or batching is that it applies the same settings to every image. It is not adaptable. Video changes - constantly. Film in a room with a well lit window, and watch the noise patterns change dramatically if the sun goes behind a cloud for a few seconds. Good video noise filters will adjust and adapt to this change. Photoshop noise filters will not, so you will have fluctuating noise patterns through out your video.

Honestly, if you read through some of the posts on noise reduction and copy some of the example scripts then setting up avisynth to do this will take no longer than the Photoshop method, give you greater control, and far better results because you will be using the right tools for the job
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Xvid or Divx are poor choices for editing, as are most highly compressed formats. I would use DV or HuffyUV or similar if I had to do extensive editing. Or if your final product is Xvid, do the editing before encoding to Xvid. If at all possible, I do the editing in the original format, then encode.

Since I'm cheap , I use VD Mod for the video edits, then extract out the audio after editing as a WAV format and process that with Audacity. Then, if my final format is MPEG, I convert the audio to AC3 with ffmpeggui. If it's going to be converted to Xvid, I add it back into VDM, then convert to MP3 CBR with Lame MP3 while I do the Xvid encode.
    VD also has many filters available. While you can't really improve the quality, you may be able to make it look a bit better with some light filtering.

What bitrate and encoder settings did you encode with using VD? I usually do two pass, and set the bitrate to whatever size my media is. Or for just computer playback, about 1500 or so kbps.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    Xvid or Divx are poor choices for editing, as are most highly compressed formats. I would use DV or HuffyUV or similar if I had to do extensive editing. Or if your final product is Xvid, do the editing before encoding to Xvid. If at all possible, I do the editing in the original format, then encode.

Since I'm cheap , I use VD Mod for the video edits, then extract out the audio after editing as a WAV format and process that with Audacity. Then, if my final format is MPEG, I convert the audio to AC3 with ffmpeggui. If it's going to be converted to Xvid, I add it back into VDM, then convert to MP3 CBR with Lame MP3 while I do the Xvid encode.
    VD also has many filters available. While you can't really improve the quality, you may be able to make it look a bit better with some light filtering.

What bitrate and encoder settings did you encode with using VD? I usually do two pass, and set the bitrate to whatever size my media is. Or for just computer playback, about 1500 or so kbps.
    My original file was in RAM (Realmedia) Format. I converted it to AVI using the following guide

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic289872.html

Here is the screen shot for the Setting i had for Xvid and the Codec available through Virtual Dub

If I should not use Xvid, which codecs should I use. Is there any codec missing from the list.

Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @gunslinger, your post did make sense. So ill try and work through the guide posted at https://forum.videohelp.com/topic309181.html

I actually have no expeirence with avisynth.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I actually have no expeirence with avisynth
    At some point we were all where you are now, but you have to start somewhere.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Hello again,

No there is no tutorial that I know of for the photoshop method. Gunslinger could very well be right, hell, he probably is, but I have done that exact thing and the subsequent video came out much to my liking. As he says photoshop works only on one image at a time but that is what you would be feeding it, one image at a time. And as LordSmurf says, don't expect miracles on this video. What I know is that the two filter plugins that I mentioned are very good at what they do. You can figure out what amount of noise removal is good for you on one of the images and apply those settings to the rest of the images. Or you can use one of the various default settings. No matter what method you choose to use to clean up this video, there will be some trial and error involved and as I said avisynth has a pretty steep learning curve for the unitiated. Good luck!
    Mark
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AjnabiZ

My original file was in RAM (Realmedia) Format. I converted it to AVI using the following guide

So you actually have an experience with AviSynth, why not to use the script you opened RM with for your noise reduction task as well, by adding one more line to it? Download FFT3DFilter plugin, put it to 'plugins' folder in AviSynth directory (to make it loaded with any script), put external .dll (used with the plugin) to system directory and add a line:
    FFT3DFilter(sigma=3)
    Save the script and open it in Vdub for preview with current sigma value; when you are happy with the results, give the .avs to your encoding application. Save wav from .avs in VDub for audio track (if you want to process it separately).
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alex_ander

So you actually have an experience with AviSynth, why not to use the script you opened RM with for your noise reduction task as well, by adding one more line to it? Download FFT3DFilter plugin, put it to 'plugins' folder in AviSynth directory (to make it loaded with any script), put external .dll (used with the plugin) to system directory and add a line:
    FFT3DFilter(sigma=3)
    Save the script and open it in Vdub for preview with current sigma value; when you are happy with the results, give the .avs to your encoding application. Save wav from .avs in VDub for audio track (if you want to process it separately).
    First, i would like to thank all of the members who have replied to my post and tried to help me. It really is very appreciative.

I will learn Ayisynth.

@Alex_ander, I will do what you have said.

I have download FFTW library v3.2 alpha (http://www.fftw.org) and I have extracted the contents but how do i install.

Im on a Windows machine and the contents does not contain any setup file.

Can anyone direct me to a good basic Ayisynth tutorial. I think I should get my hands dirty, and see if I can take it.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    AjnabiZ, if I was planning on doing extensive editing, I would convert to DV or HuffyUV, as mentioned. Your Xvid settings appear to be the default ones. If you set the Quantizer at about 2, that will give you about the same quality as the original, but the file size with be bigger, probably double. Or set the passes to 2 if you wanted to keep about the same size using a Quantizer setting of 4. Either setup should improve the Xvid quality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

I have download FFTW library v3.2 alpha (http://www.fftw.org) and I have extracted the contents but how do i install.
    Im on a Windows machine and the contents does not contain any setup file.

Can anyone direct me to a good basic Ayisynth tutorial. I think I should get my hands dirty, and see if I can take it.
    You only need to copy FFTW3.DLL to Windows/system32 directory, other files from that package are not used. Filter itself is fft3dfilter.dll (other files can be source code etc.), copy it to AviSynth/plugins folder.
    Visit AVISynth.org for tutorials, there's something like 'your first script' to advanced topics. Reference information is installed with AviSynth (you'll find it in docs directory).
    There's a good free script editor AVSP with internal preview and floating prompts.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I download the fftw3win32mingw.zip file and it only included FFTW3.DLL. I have placed this file under windows/system32

I then downloaded fftw-3.2alpha2.tar.gz and it also does not contain fft3dfilter.dll

Where can i get fft3dfilter.dll
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AjnabiZ, if I was planning on doing extensive editing, I would convert to DV or HuffyUV, as mentioned. Your Xvid settings appear to be the default ones. If you set the Quantizer at about 2, that will give you about the same quality as the original, but the file size with be bigger, probably double. Or set the passes to 2 if you wanted to keep about the same size using a Quantizer setting of 4. Either setup should improve the Xvid quality.
    Hello Redwudz

I have downloade HuffyYuv v2.1.1 and installed it successfully. Now should I go through the same process of converting the original ram file but this time i select Huffy v.2.1.1 in the Video Compression dialog under VirtualDub.

Should I make any changes under configuration for Huffy.?

Also, you are right about the file size. I have the Xvid set to default and its 1 Pass and it converted the file to 120 MB. Original Size is 45 Mb.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hello

I am going through Ayisyth tutorial and its very interesting. I am using the AvsP editor and its really speeds up things.

Im very excited about Ayisynth, i hope i can learn it quickly.

Ayisynth is so powerful
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

http://avisynth.org.ru/fft3dfilter/fft3dfilter211.zip

Complete manual (it is possibly included in package) and d/l links are here:

http://avisynth.org.ru/fft3dfilter/fft3dfilter.html
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have just played a little

Here is the original version

Here is the edited version

Am i on the right track?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM

http://avisynth.org.ru/fft3dfilter/fft3dfilter211.zip

Complete manual (it is possibly included in package) and d/l links are here:

http://avisynth.org.ru/fft3dfilter/fft3dfilter.html
    Thanks Alex

I cant believe that i did not scroll till the bottom.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Don't expect stellar results. Garbage in, garbage out.
    I did not get your message the first time.

I think you meant me to check the Garbage in, garbage out thread.

I tried to convert ram to avi again using HuffyYUV(default options) and Audio (MPEG Audio Layer 3), and projected size came to 7 GB's
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your original video looks better , I'd avoid using sharpen: it makes blockiness visible. Maybe all can be done here is resizing and some color adjustment. Is that RM file still alive (you could open it directly by dragging to AVSP and writing its fps parameter in DirectShowSource)?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The comment 'Garbage in, Garbage out' is a computer term meaning if you have poor quality input you will have poor quality output. I may have said before that you can't improve quality, but you may be able to make it look a little better. Any format that uses highly compressed video, such as RM, Xvid, or similar will not produce DVD quality, no matter what you do with it. But you should be able to preserve the quality of the original format, though it will end up being much bigger most times. And some light filtering may clean up some 'noise'. Same quality but better looking.

HuffyUV or a similar low compression formats are good for editing or a in between format to preserve quality. But it does take up a lot of space. DV is about 13GB per hour of video, so not quite as much. But if you don't need to do a lot of editing on the video, you could just do your Xvid conversion with better settings directly from your source video.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your original video looks better , I'd avoid using sharpen: it makes blockiness visible. Maybe all can be done here is resizing and some color adjustment. Is that RM file still alive (you could open it directly by dragging to AVSP and writing its fps parameter in DirectShowSource)?

If you look at the original video while its playing, its not that good.

I do need to resize it since 320 is its original size.

Yes, I actually tried dropping ram into AvsP and it worked.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The comment 'Garbage in, Garbage out' is a computer term meaning if you have poor quality input you will have poor quality output. I may have said before that you can't improve quality, but you may be able to make it look a little better. Any format that uses highly compressed video, such as RM, Xvid, or similar will not produce DVD quality, no matter what you do with it. But you should be able to preserve the quality of the original format, though it will end up being much bigger most times. And some light filtering may clean up some 'noise'. Same quality but better looking.

HuffyUV or a similar low compression formats are good for editing or a in between format to preserve quality. But it does take up a lot of space. DV is about 13GB per hour of video, so not quite as much. But if you don't need to do a lot of editing on the video, you could just do your Xvid conversion with better settings directly from your source video.
    What settings should I use under Xvid ?

What about H264 ? Should I try converting with that codec.
    Quote Quote