VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Now this is ridiculous!!!

I'm watching Leno on Canadian cable. The NBC feed is retransmitted by a local station "A-Channel". So what happens?. The A-channel logo is in the lower right hand corner as usual but now there is also the NBC peacock logo in the lower left corner.

Come on you NBC guys get with it!!!! You have 2 more corners to go so I can switch to CBS and watch Letterman instead.

NBC has lost so many viewers with their poor programming you'd think they'd be embarrassed and instead hide their network id or put a large one right in the middle where it really belongs.

btw) This may be something they are trying because I'm sure I saw a double overlapped logo (US Network and Can. Local) on the lower right for a short time last week.

EDIT:
    Forgot to ask this. To those in the USA, did NBC move their logo to the lower left recently?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Nothing new to me, the local stations frequently do that where I live. Usually in sync with the big network logo. Can 't say I'd complain about it because it's broadcast TV, it's not as if i'm paying anything for it. My only gripe is when it covers up subtitles, the local PBS station has a very large solid logo they display which seems to have the uncanny ability to pop up when I'm watching soemthing like Frontline and some dude speaking a foreign language is speaking.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I checked the CBS Letterman show and the station (on a Canadian re-feed) only had the CBS logo on the lower right as is the norm. As soon as The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson (also on CBS) came on the signal switched the usual CBS logo was still on the lower right but now there was also a big CH with a crescent moon on the upper right. These were static and stayed through the whole show . On top of that at some point there was a show text logo/graphic in the lower left corner that showed up for a short time while they were playing a clip for someone plugging a movie or such. I've seen these types on ET and other shows periodically but they are a more recent phenomena

The upper logo was covering part of Craig's head all through the interviews. Very distracting!!!

I checked another feed I get on a cable time shift of the NBC Tonight show and this station "ASN" moved their station logo to the lower left to cover the NBC peacock so we didn't end up with 2 logos on that station.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Within the past month or so, I noticed NBC had moved their "bug" logo to the lower left corner.

I've also noticed that Spike, I think, has moved their large bug from the lower right to the upper right corner. It's distracting and covers the head of people sometimes.

Also, VH1 Classic, in addition to their lower right bug, now has some sort of sponsor animated bug called "urge" in the upper left corner.

I know they're trying to break through the clutter, but when it breaks or defies the lower third standard, it's distracting and covers action that isn't meant to be hidden.
    RobertUSM
    Digital Memories - Video Transfer to DVD
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They are trying to eliminate free TV without giving up any broadcast spectrum. Avoid basic cable as an alternative by filling it with network programming.

First runs of network shows on basic cable. Reruns of last years network shows on basic cable. Promos for the website on the screen while the program runs.

All of this in the absence of creative programming or even first run programming.

Drive the viewers away and you drive the advertisers away. The advertisers are now adding video commercials to various free content provider's sites. On the machines I use to do useful work, I have had to remove the flash viewer to avoid some of these commericals, but some of these adorable beasts download their own viewers, and the video starts befire the real content loads.

I'm going to have to pirate video to amuse myself. We need a modern equivalent to border or pirate radio to program what people want to see. Instead of the networks and their little robots who clutter youtube with reality tv bites, and mtv videos.

Anyone remember the promise of narrowcasting. I see little that remains of it on cable, and precious little of it on the web.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is the logo bug on the NBC network feed. What are you seeing?

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Corrected aspect ratio

The logo in the black space in your upper picture was put on locally. The original feed was HD 16:9. That feed was letterboxed and the logo was added after that. CH is CH TV up in Ontario. Call their chief engineer and bitch to him.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    This is the logo bug on the NBC network feed. What are you seeing?

I see the same NBC bug less (HD) but it used to be on the right and on most Canadian feeds it was covered up by a local logo on the lower right. Now we get both logos but it depends on the show. As I said I found one station that moved their logo to the left also to overwrite the NBC peacock bug and save us having to see 2 of them but they are the only one I found so far who were smart enough so far to think of the viewer.

The worst ones are those who shifted to the upper part of the screen to uncover the original network one as in my "CH" example above.

The problem with the local cover-up logos is they tend to be larger and more solid than the logo they are covering up. The original network logos are often more transparent but I think they come with the signal so the Canadian re-distributor can't remove them. When NBC moved to the left, I guess some Canadian stations just didn't bother adjusting because they may use feeds from all the major American networks and would have to adjust based on signal source. That doesn't explain why CH moved to the top of the screen instead of where they used to have the logo on the lower right.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is what the current 4:3 SD feed logo looks like.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    Corrected aspect ratio

The logo in the black space in your upper picture was put on locally. The original feed was HD 16:9. That feed was letterboxed and the logo was added after that. CH is CH TV up in Ontario. Call their chief engineer and bitch to him.

I figured that and I know CH is out of Hamilton Ontario but CH are not the only one's doing it. Although I especially hate the size and position of their logo. When there are multiple Canadian stations feeding the same American network signal of the same show it's the cable operators who decide which one we will see.

Since this change is recent I'm wondering if it's at the request (read command) of the American Networks who as rightful distributors want to guarantee that their logo is displayed on the videos.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A quick scan through broadcast channels shows the source of the program seems to own the lower left and the local rebroadcaster uses the lower right. Cable channels are putting their logs in the lower right or sometimes in the upper right.

Exception is the PBS national HD channel where PBS uses upper left and the local channel uses the lower right.

These guys hold meetings and send memos on this stuff. Call that CHTV Chief Engineer.
    Quote Quote