VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I want to keep it 720x576. Using a bitrate calcualtor, it says about 5000. I know 5000 @ 720x576 would look like shit. Would VBR be ok? What about encoding it at 9000kbps and letting TMPGenc transcode? What is the best way?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why would it look like shit ? There are many commercial DVDs encoded at similar bitrates. Yes, you should use 2 pass VBR encoding for this. Encoding to the correct bitrate first is always better than encoding too high and then transcoding afterwards.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. 5000k wouldn't look that bad to be honest, maybe you might get some minor blocking in action scenes. Use 2 pass vbr if you are that concerned about quality, but the encode would take twice as long.

If you are using the Athlon 1600 as in your system details, then with Tmpgenc, 2 times a 2 hour encode would be loooong.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    Why would it look like shit ? There are many commercial DVDs encoded at similar bitrates. Yes, you should use 2 pass VBR encoding for this. Encoding to the correct bitrate first is always better than encoding too high and then transcoding afterwards.
    I like you. You are usually the first to offer advice when I have problems on here. I thank you. Do you think 2 pass vbr at 5000kbps would be sufficiate for non video people. I mean, if I gave a copy to my friend, would he be like "this copy is crap!" ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. 5000k is right on the "should I CBR or VBR?" border. With me it would have to depend on the source.

If we are talking about 2 hours of people talking and such and then you would hardly notice the difference between 5000k and 9000k CBR.

If we are talking non-stop explosions and gunfights, then you would probably want to consider 2-pass otherwise you would probably notice a lot of "blocking".

If you can stand the long wait, then go with VBR just to be on the safe side.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Do you think 2 pass vbr at 5000kbps would be sufficiate for non video people.

Depends on the source. For some handheld DV stuff, maybe not. If the source is another DVD, then probably yes. If the source is an AVI, then certainly yes.

And go for VBR. It's the only way to do it properly. Of course, if you don't know what you're doing, then you can easily screw it up so that some more experienced people might complain.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Anakin
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    I like you. You are usually the first to offer advice when I have problems on here. I thank you. Do you think 2 pass vbr at 5000kbps would be sufficiate for non video people. I mean, if I gave a copy to my friend, would he be like "this copy is crap!" ?
    Depends. How picky is your friend?

No, seriously, like the other person said, you may have issues with scenes with fast motion, but that's the beautiful thing about VBR. It'll try to keep you at the bitrate you specify, but if you need more, it'll raise it.

Another thing to consider is the source material. The old "Garbage-in-garbage-out" rule applies here. I've been able to take 1080i HD material like "Heroes" and "ER" and cut it down to around 3500-5000 with no ill effects. I certainly would not go any lower than 3500 with any material, even HD material.

Try encoding a 1-minute portion of your material at different bitrates, and compare the results. But by all means, use multiple-pass VBR. I have never really trusted single-pass VBR, even though I used to use it a lot because it was relatively fast.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Anakin
    I want to keep it 720x576. Using a bitrate calcualtor, it says about 5000. I know 5000 @ 720x576 would look like shit. Would VBR be ok? What about encoding it at 9000kbps and letting TMPGenc transcode? What is the best way?
    In your situation - and I'm not being condescending - I would use Project Wizard mode in TMPGEnc, select 2-pass VBR and move the bitrate selector slider as far to the left as possible. That will give you the best compromise between picture quality and encode time. Even friends who think they are experts won't be able to tell the difference
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What's the point of coding at 9000 then reencoding? Can only take longer and give a worse result than doing it directly from source (what source?).

Unless you're going to watch it on a wall-size screen, 5000 should give excellent results. I use HCEnc, a two-pass VBR encoder. If you're bored you can watch the rate as it encodes, going down for slow dark scenes and up for action. That's the idea of VBR, put the bits where they'll do the most good. Even at very low rates, HC never goes blocky in fast-changing scenes.

Note also that the audio can take up a significant amount of space if uncompressed. Use AC3 at 224k (or higher if you're an audiophile) and you'll have CD quality.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Yeah, it looks great. Used the xDVD setting in TMPGEnc 3. Max 9200, min 0. Average 5000. So this is now my standard. 2 hours for a normal DVD and 4 hours for a DL Disc. Cheers guys
    Jagabo, please do not reply to this post. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  11. i'm curious of how that looks.Personally i wouldn't go under 6mbits but that's just my opinion
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TMPGEnc is not the best encoder.
    MainConcept would look better at the same bitrates.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Is it interlaced or progressive? Interlaced video generally requires a little bit higher bitrate then progressive video. Is it letterboxed? Letterboxed video generally requires less bitrate than full screen video.

Some progressive letterboxed video can look good at 3 mbit/s avreage bitrate and interlced video in full screen from a handheld camera can look bad at 6 mbit/s average bitrate. So it very much depends on the source.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Depends a lot on your source and depends also on your menus -- you can fit 2 hours of video at 5k bitrate on a single layer DVD if you've got no menus. You put much more than text menu and you're gonna need a few more megs and you'll probably need to drop to 4800, to squeeze it all in. But again depends on your menus.

And have you got a mono or stereo audio track? Might be able to gain -- or lose -- a bit of space there.

That being said, depending on your source, and a good encoder (mainconcept is excellent), and if you don't mind waiting for a 2-pass VBR, a 5k bitrate can look extremely good.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    Do you think 2 pass vbr at 5000kbps would be sufficiate for non video people.

Depends on the source. For some handheld DV stuff, maybe not.
    A lot of people don't realize how much impact hand held DV recording has on the encoder. When a camcorder is hand held, the camera motion means the encoder has to to treat the entire frame as a motion frame. If you are using a camcorder to record a scene of a talking person for example, the camera motion of a hand held camera means the full frame is moving rather than just the talking person. Much of the benefit of VBR is lost with hand held recording. It really is worth it to use a tripod whenever possible.
    Quote Quote