VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For the love of God, please help! I received an LG LRA-750 DVD recorder (standalone) for X-mas, and I have been trying for months now to get some basic information and determine if my recorder is functioning properly, or is defective. I have read the massive manual that came with it, contacted technical support, gone back to both local Futureshop outlets (it was purchased at one of them) and asked every employee I could find for help, and spent countless hours using Google, ASK.com, and forums looking for the answer to what should be a simple question.

My LG recorder is a standalone multi-format recorder. In other words, it supports all formats of disc until you get into high-def of blu-ray. I am used to creating and burning movies on my computer, but have never owned a stand-alone dvd recorder before.

I know that there are +/-R/RW and DL discs. No problem there. The difference between + and - formats are simply that they are different formats, similar to VHS and BETA, only they both stuck around. +/-R discs signify that the discs are write once or multiple times, but no erasure after finalization. +/-RW mean the discs are rewritable and can be used again and again. +/- R DL mean double or dual layer (8.5 GB discs), although the LG only supports +R DL recording.

I trust I have shown that I have a basic understanding of the most popular DVD media, just so you know I'm not a complete idiot. Again, I have read the manual, but find it doesn't explain adequately, technical support didn't seem to know the answers themselves, and almost everyone at Futureshop claims that they don't own standalone DVD recorders.

My problem is this. Having been used to recording using a home computer, using a standalone recorder introduced two new recording terms: "video" mode recording, and "VR" mode recording. I know that "video" mode is meant to emulate a store bought movie, while "VR" mode is supposed to be more versatile for editing, since no real editing is possible in "video" mode.

DVD-R discs are automatically initialized in "Video" mode. DVD-RW Discs have the option of choosing either "video" or "-VR" recording mode and finalizing when done. My problem is when I get to DVD+RW discs. My LG recorder will only allow me to initialize these discs in "+VR" mode. Likewise, I cannot finalize the discs. Also, while I have not used a single layer +R disc, I tried a double layer +R disc, and it initialized it as a "+VR" mode disc, with no option to initialize in "Video" mode instead. The recorder did allow me to finalize the +R DL disc, although it still comes up as a disc with a movie recorded, followed by a title containing any blank space remaining.

Using Nero Vision to record a movie, I have no problem recording +RW and +R DL discs in video mode, and obviously finalizing them. So all I really want to know is do stand-alone DVD recorders allow DVD+RW and +R/+R DL discs to be initialized in "video" mode, or are you stuck with always using "+VR" as your recording mode? Also, shouldn't I be able to finalize a DVD+RW disc to maximize compatability with DVD players? My LG will not allow it, and as a result I end up having some problems playing it back on my Samsung Player (model DVD-P242). For instance, the Samsung has the feature to jump to a specific time on a DVD. This doesn't work with the DVD+RW discs, although I have no problem when entering a specific title or chapter to skip to, just a specific time. Before anyone asks, yes the Samsung does support both + and - R and RW playback, and I have no problem using the time index skip feature on a finalized DVD-RW disc.

Can anyone please answer these questions for me? I would really like to know if I have a defective recorder. Two of LG's technical support members both thought that I should be able to initialize a DVD+RW disc in "Video" mode, and should be able to finalize it later, but neither seemed certain. One sent me a firmware upgrade which was the same version I already have. The other suggested buying a different brand of +RW discs while saying that -RW discs are recommended as being preferred. I am using Memorex, Vakoss, and Fuji brands. The LG DVD-RW disc that came with the recorder will only play on the LG recorder, and yes, that's after being finalized. I don't know anyone else with a standalone DVD recorder. You would think I was living in a third world country, instead of Canada. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I do not own your recorder, but on my Sony GX7 recorder you do not finalize a DVD+RW. I can play a DVD+RW create with my recorder on my LG, Cyberhome, and computer.
    I can also record in the Video or VR modes on a DVD+RW.
    Why not exchange it for a new one and see if you get the same results?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I just finished testing an LG RC797T combo unit. Your unit behaves exactly like this one so I do not believe it to be defective. The only difference I can think of is that the +DL disk just said it was "initializing". I do not recall it saying +VR mode. It did the best job I have ever seen in recording to +DL. There was no glitch at the layer change discernible at all.

While LG supports recording to +rw media, it simply does not support it as well as it does -rw mode. For example, this RC797T cannot edit out commercials with +rw but it can with -rw. In +rw mode, it can divide titles and combine chapters. The edit menus are completely different for -rw versus +rw.

+VR mode is not as compatible as video mode but some recorders like some Liteon's only record in +VR mode even to -r/-rw with the same compatibility issues you are having.

My opinion is that this is a choice of what LG decided to support but there is nothing wrong with the recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First of all, thanks to both of the above for replying. So if I follow, what you are saying is that it is possible to record a DVD+RW in "video" mode instead of "+VR" mode. Also, trhouse says that the +DL discs should have been initialized in "video" mode. The catch is that there is no standardization when it comes to different DVD Recorder features, and I may not be able to initialize my discs in "video" mode unless I am using a -R/RW disc simply because some moron decided he preferred designing recorders that use VR mode as often as possible, even though this causes compatability issues when playing back on other recorders or players.

By the way, as pinetop suggested, I cannot simply exchange the recorder for another and see what happens because X-mas was five months ago, and Futureshop only gives people 30 days or until Jan 05/2007 to return X-mas purchases. Really classy.

I do have an extended warranty, but the Futureshop employee who sold it to us told us that the warranty meant the unit would be replaced if found defective. Now they tell me they send it out for repairs, and can keep the recorder for up to sixty (s-i-x-t-y!) days before offering a replacement.

So it really boils down to whether or not the technicians at LG are correct that I should be able to initialize +R/RW discs in video mode and finalize them. Everyone at the Futureshop where the recorder was purchased claims not to own one. I guess it is a good thing I kept the two emails from the LG Technician.

Again, thanks. If anyone has anything else helpful to add, please feel free. Otherwise I'm stuck with a "maybe it works fine and maybe it doesn't" answer to my question.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I haven't heard of a recorder than can record to +R/RW discs in anything other than +VR.

The format itself is very close to DVD-Video, though. Just take a look at the directory listing. There's a VIDEO_TS directory, and inside it are the usual .vob, ifo, buf files. There's also a VIDEO_RM directory, which I think is used to hold temporary information.

My *guess* for a +RW is that when it finishes recording a session or when you eject the disc (depending on the recorder), it writes the necessary ifo file so that it can be read by any DVD player that can recognize +R/RW discs. That's why it doesn't require finalization because it automatically does it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    From what I am reading, it seems as though people agree that a DVD+RW only utilizes +VR mode recording. This is consistent with some of what I have read online, particularly on wikipedia. However, I do know for a fact that if you burn a movie onto a DVD+RW using Nero on a PC, you end up with a video mode DVD+RW, which is finalized and plays perfectly.

Also, I managed to find some people in Futureshop who own recorders and say that you should be able to record +RW discs in Video mode, and finalize them. This is also consistent with what the LG technicians told me, and for the most part, what the manual either says or implies. This couldn't be any more frustrating because of the constant contradictions.

One thing that does seem concrete is that recording on a DVD+R (DL) disc should be possible using video mode. In fact, my manual specifically states that the default initialization mode for DVD+R discs is "video" mode, not VR mode, and while it says that DVD +/-RW, and RAM discs can be reformatted to VR or Video mode under the start menu, but not DVD +/-R discs. That's pretty concrete. The only explanation I have heard is that the recorder may not like the Memorex Discs I prefer. I have also used Vakoss, Fuji, and Maxell. I get the best picture with Memorex and Vakoss.

I am currently trying to record the last month of Relic Hunter episodes to DVD, and then I think I will return my unit along with some problem discs to see what Futureshop does. From my experience so far, I don't think I will be buying any more LG drives, and certainly not from Futureshop.

Perhaps a Samsung from Sears with an extended warranty, but again, I will wait a month until I record the last season of Relic Hunter off Space, and then try to get some service.

My situation so far stands as: 1.) DVD+RW and +R DL discs will only record in +VR mode 2.) When using the brands of discs recommended in the user manual, I get poor video quality 3.) The fast forward does not seem to work well. I have to press the fast forward button about four times to get it to skip forward in three second increments; pressing once more makes it skip forward by almost a minute each frame. That's nearly a factor of 20 increase in speed, and useless for scanning forward or back unless you need to search half an hour away. 4.) Discs recorded on DVD+RW in +VR mode do not allow me to use a time index search on my Samsung player. 5.) The actual LG brand Disc that came free with the unit plays perfectly on the LG, but will not playback on other units even though it is finalized.

It doesn't sound unreasonable to me to have this unit checked out, and if possible, replaced with a different brand. Otherwise, my extended warranty was a real rip-off.

I'm just counting the days now.
    Quote Quote