VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi - I just installed ffmpegx, I downloaded the 3 other components and installed them from within ffmpegx. I then dlownloaded the "reallib" folder and put it in the app support/ffmpegx folder. Now when I open a real media file (which I previously downloaded), the video and audio windows say "none" and when I hit the play or the encode button, I get an error pop up saying "Applescript Error. Can't get text item 2 of 'Binary file (standard input) matches'. (-1728)"

I'm a ffmpegx newbie, but I'm 99% sure I installed everything correctly. Are there any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Downloading a sample.rm file with Safari may result in the file wrongfully being renamed to sample.rm.ram.
    Mplayer, the ffmpegX decoder for Real files, treats .rm files different from .ram files: .rm files should be self-contained media files, while .ram files should be small locater files, containing only an URL.
    If this has happened, rename your file to reflect its true status and try again to see if ffmpegX recognizes it better then.
    The (512 KB) linked file above with just the .rm suffix is well recognised and played by ffmpegX's mplayer on my system. If it does so on your system too, then reallib is installed correctly. The Play button in ffmpegX should confirm it.
    If mplayer can handle some of your Real files but not others, then you may be out of luck, as not every variant of Real media out there is supported by (the current version of) mplayer+reallib.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like you did everything correctly.

Try creating a symbolic link to the real codecs (which should be the same as putting them in the app-support folder).

Use "terminal" app and type:

ln -s /Applications/RealPlayer.app/Contents/Frameworks/HXClientKit.framework/HelixPlugins/Codecs \
    /Library/Application\ Support/ffmpegX/reallib

(See http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050130184054216 for converting realaudio files to mp3 files, the logic is the same for video).

Hope this helps
    Selims
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've got a similar problem. I've installed everything correctly, but rm and rmvb-files won't be accepted. Also, when I want to open an rm file in ffmpegX, the program literally freezes. When I mark the file and click on 'open' nothing works anymore except immediate exit.

I'm kind of desperated right now because I searched and searched and couldn't find an alternative video converter for Mac which can convert rm and rmvb files.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Problem solved.

I followed the instructions in this topic: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic322562.html#1659446.
    The reallib packet downloaded with the link on the ffmpegX site is not compatibel with Intel Macs.

Now its fine.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just installed ffmpegx and all the necessary add ons. I'm trying to encode a realplayer movie for ipod. Everytime I run the program it finishes in less than a minute and gives me this error message:

FFmpeg version CVS, Copyright (c) 2000-2004 Fabrice Bellard
    Mon Jul 23 22:19:34 EDT 2007
    Mac OSX universal build for ffmpegX
    libavutil version: 49.0.0
    libavcodec version: 51.9.0
    libavformat version: 50.4.0
    [NULL @ 0x45a630]Unsupported video codec
    Input #0, rm, from '/Volumes/SCULLY/Videos/Cowboy Bebop The Movie.rm':
    Duration: 01:45:19.5, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 226 kb/s
    Stream #0.0, 12.00 fps(r): Video: RV40 / 0x30345652, 384x216, 188 kb/s
    Stream #0.1: Audio: cook, 44100 Hz, stereo, 32 kb/s
    Stream #0.2: Data: 0x0000
    Output #0, mp4, to '/Users/cherylnichols/Desktop/cowboybebop.mp4':
    Stream #0.0, 29.97 fps(c): Video: xvid, 320x240, q=3-9, pass 1, 300 kb/s
    Stream #0.1: Audio: aac, 24000 Hz, stereo, 32 kb/s
    Stream mapping:
    Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
    Stream #0.1 -> #0.1
    Unsupported codec (id=72) for input stream #0.0

What step am I missing in the process? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by gabrielle7372
    I just installed ffmpegx and all the necessary add ons. I'm trying to encode a realplayer movie for ipod. Everytime I run the program it finishes in less than a minute and gives me this error message:

FFmpeg version CVS, Copyright (c) 2000-2004 Fabrice Bellard
    [...]
    Unsupported codec (id=72) for input stream #0.0

What step am I missing in the process? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    You're using an ffmpeg based setting (perhaps one of ffmpegX iPod presets). Only mencoder based settings can convert RealMedia files.
    At this time, ffmpegX doesn't allow "MPEG4 in .mp4 with mencoder", so you 'll have to :
    - either make an H264 in .mp4 mencoder conversion
    - either do the conversion in two steps (.rm -> XVID in .avi with mencoder -> MPEG4 in .mp4 for iPod with ffmpeg)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does that mean if I want to convert a RMVB file to Divx, I need to do it in two stages using memcoder?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by fustyler
    Does that mean if I want to convert a RMVB file to Divx, I need to do it in two stages using mencoder?
    No, you just have to do a one step conversion to MPEG4 [.avi] (mencoder) or XVID [.avi] (mencoder). Both are equivalent to Divx 4/5.
    Quote Quote