VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Everyone,

I am using Adobe Audition 2.0 for all my audio editing and what not. For my films, I mix 6 channel audio (L,R,C,RR,LF,LFE). I end up exporting out my 6 channel audio to a 6 channel wav file through audition (ive tried all the available options, 16bit, 24 bit, 32bit float, etc).

I tried using BeSweet and the tutorial here on videohelp.com, and I kept getting errors when trying to export these files to AC3. It errors that it doesn't know what kind of files the wav's are.

My question is, do you guys know how to get these 6 channel wav files to AC3, as well as DTS? Is it the codec that Adobe Audition uses that causes BeSweet not to work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Click Here

Edit: Sorry, it must be bedtime. I just realized you asked about a single 6 channel wav not 6 wavs for the channels. Still, it won't hurt to look at the link above. Also, I think that AC3 and DTS carry the channels in a different order so if your 6 channel wav has the tracks in the wrong order it might cause problems with audio encoders.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well if you're set on using besweet here is a link on how to do it. You have to export from audition as separate wav files then using notepad copy the file paths....then save as a .mux extension. Then besweet should be able to import and convert to 6 channels AC3.

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic299673.html#1511341

The link above is from an old thread I posted in. Now personally I use softencode for 6 channel AC3 conversions. You can also try out other apps like aften although I've never tried it for 6 channels.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I went ahead and tried what pinStrip23 mentioned by making a .mux file. This worked and didnt work. It made the AC3 file for a change and it plays! so thats a good start. The only thing is the files sound kind of scratchy. I did 448 kbps 5.1 ac3 file, 48khz. It doesn't come out very clear and what not, any ideas?

The original wav files by themselves are clear.
    Eric T. Edwards
    eric@ecpfilms.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Aften and EncWav2AC3 will encode a 6 channel wav file to AC3, and is much better than besweet IMO.

I haven't used a freeware DTS encoder, but Surcode (commercial) prefers 6 mono wav files.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kerpal
    The only thing is the files sound kind of scratchy. I did 448 kbps 5.1 ac3 file, 48khz. It doesn't come out very clear and what not, any ideas?

The original wav files by themselves are clear.
    As in distortion? Did you make a psuedo surround sound? If the problem is distortion try and reduce the amplitude of each wav file. I usually find the Center channel the loudest. The Front Left and Front Right channels are slightly lower in amplitude. The Surround Right and Left channels are generally low except for maybe bursts of loudness in certain parts. And the LFE is the lowest.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I went ahead and tried Aften and EncWav2AC3, and tried a 6 channel wav to AC3, it ended up working, but still some distortion, but most of the channels were fine, it was just the Front Left and Front Right, I think maybe I had them up to high, so that is probably why. Anyhow, im on the right path and i'll go ahead and just keep testing it. Thanks guys for the help.
    Eric T. Edwards
    eric@ecpfilms.com
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have had success creating dts files using Minetonka DTS Surcode and wavewizard.
    Wavewizard splits the pcm according to channel mapping and feeds these tracks into Surcode which in turn creates a dts file
    Powerdvd or MPC plays dts files ok I don't know about stand alone players though. I like to find out which ones in Australia play dts and ac3 files on their own.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    guns1inger's post is right on target. As far as distortion goes both programs do an excellent job provided the levels are set correctly. I just wish I could get my hands on some of the original master tapes and show these so called engineers how to mix...lol
    Quote Quote