VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    A family member has the wireless highspeed net thing down, using one of those bulky and large external devices that the service provider gave.

I just recently attempted to get high-speed for the first time, by buying an Edimax USB 802.11g wireless Lan adapter. After quite a bit of messing around, i got the USB adapter to establish a wireless connection. It is not great but looks solid and appears to be connecting properly.

Ok, now how the hell do i get this thing to use the internet? I tried clicking on firefox browser and clicking stuff but i get nothing. How the heck does this stuff work?

Please help out a wireless/network internet newbie
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You need a high speed cable or DSL connection (with that bulky box the Provider supplies). It needs to be connected to a wireless router via an Ethernet or USB connection. Then the USB connector can connect to the router, and you can connect to the internet.

Needless to say you need to follow the instructions in the wireless router's manual to configure the router. The cable installer or you, have to configure the modem. The USB adaptor has to be properly installed and configured, and you have to configure the network connections in your operating system.

Either you are miles from being up and running or you have left out a lot of information about your configuration and what you have done.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah my family member has the DSL service and the bulky box they provide. I bought the USB wireless LAN so i could communicate with that box and get internet access through it. I was able to figure out how to connect with it on my own but no idea how to access the internet through it.

I decided to just call the DSL provider's customer service to see if i could get a walkthrough, and wow! I could have never figured out this stuff on my own. I had to make little corrections here & there on my comp, that i had to access the online dsl customer profile and input some other stuff, etc.

Ok now its up and running! Pretty nice too seeing as how my USB wireless adapter was only $15, and seems to be getting an effective signal. I did not expect it to work that well for a dirt cheap wireless solution

My speed is around 24Mbps-to-36Mbps. Not sure how fast that is but i can now do stuff i could not before, like watch videos on youtube without waiting forever for the dial-up speeds to load it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Considering your admitted lack of knowledge, the best thing you can do is call an ISP (Internet Service Provider) and ask them, "Ok, now how the hell do i get this thing to use the internet?" They will tell you what to do and if you appear too helpless, they will even send someone out to help you (for a charge).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Bravo

You called people who are paid to help their customers and they were able to help you. Amazing huh.

Good for them, good for you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oldandinthe way
    Bravo

You called people who are paid to help their customers and they were able to help you. Amazing huh.

Good for them, good for you.
    Yes and this is the first time in my 9 years on the internet, that i have ever had my own high-speed connection. Until now i just used dial-up only.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just got a PCMCIA wireless adapter for a notebook which is only $10 after $10 rebate, and it has better range than a PCI adapter in a PC I have. Your speed is more than is needed for internet use since high speed internet is in the 1.5 mbps to 3 mbps generally, and those are max speeds with actual speeds usually less. The only time you might want more speed is for file sharing or sharing printers or other devices wirelesly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bevills1
    Your speed is more than is needed for internet use since high speed internet is in the 1.5 mbps to 3 mbps generally, and those are max speeds with actual speeds usually less. The only time you might want more speed is for file sharing or sharing printers or other devices wirelesly.
    Yeah when checking out my speed just now, which is currently at 24Mbps btw, it says my signal strength is: Low.

Low? I think not. I can load up plenty of stuff like vids on youtube pretty quick :P

All this from a cheap $15 USB adap from newegg too. All the Wireless USB adapters i'd looked at from places like circuit city and target previously, were in the $35-$60 price range! Absurd.

On top of that the DSL box that my USB is communicating with to use the net, is about 300 feet away on the other side of the house. Impressive.
    Quote Quote