VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I know this issue has been beat to death. But I want to try to find out if their are any updates to DVD's being copy right protected?

Is it possible to add copy protection to a burnt DVD?

At the local high school I work at, we have a non-profit program that gives money back to the schools. Plays, high school football games we sell to students and family members.

Unfortuantely, as of late we have had an issue with bootleggers.

Please any help.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Somebody asked the same question yesterday - https://forum.videohelp.com/topic329548.html
    He's a liar and a murderer, and I say that with all due respect.
    Quote Quote  
  4. If it can be played, it can be copied.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    We've seen this kind of question before. It always has the same answer. If you can't sell your product at a price cheap enough to discourage illegal copying then you need to get into another line of business.

The best you can do is add Macrovision and CSS to your DVDs. Usually you have to pay someone to press them for you to have this. I am not aware of any DVD authoring programs available to the general public that can add these that don't cost thousands of dollars. And even if you do pay for somebody to press your DVDs, it won't stop kids from copying them. It might stop their parents from copying them in some "dumbass" way like hooking up a DVD player to a DVD recorder or using the "DVD Copy" option on Nero (this only works on discs without Macrovision and CSS), but the kids will be smart enough to know how to rip the DVD and copy it anyway. If you are paying for someone to press these for you, you might see if they can add ARCCOS protection to it, which does make it even harder to rip, but again, a really smart kid will know the way around ARCCOS. Paying for pressing will increase your costs, which means you'll probably have to charge more, which means more people will be interested in copying your discs rather than paying for them.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Those who would buy the bootlegs most likely would never have bought the original anyways. But you might try making an appeal to people's better nature on your DVD. Tell them of the damage it may cause to the program they care about. Ask them not to buy bootlegs or support anybody making bootlegs. People who care, and maybe even the bootleggers too, will stop supporting that.

If you do make an appeal, please, please don't exaggerate the possible damage bootlegging may cause. People see right through bullshit. Don't become the MPAA/RIAA.

Darryl
    Quote Quote