VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone, this is my first post here and im new to the forum. I tried looking up this issue before making an unecessary thread or new topic but didnt quite find exactly the answer i was looking for.

What im trying to do to be clear is upload some of my DVD recordable media to my PC and then share that file online with friends.

My first step was using Xilisoft to convert DVD to AVI, I was looking to be able to do it directly to a 700 MB size file but looks like it is not possible. I tried using the SPLIT 700 MB setting but i got 4 files at 700 MB each one for a 2 HR DVD. needless to say that is too many and not what i was looking for. So i then found out I could convert that 2hr DVD to a SINGLE .AVI file and then compress it.

So again using Xilisoft i got an AVI file for that 2HR dvd of 1.73 GB in size.
    I am now trying to compress it to a 700 MB size file and I first tried AUTOGK but on my first attempt I got some type of error message. I then downloaded VIRTUALDUB and tried that but right before SAVING TO AVI, after all other settings had been set I got an AUDIO ERROR message and then a VIDEO ERROR message as well. The second time I tried i got a 786 MB file in size but when playing it on WMP it was playing back with no audio and it was a very fast paced image. it reminded me of that PLAY x2 button some VCRS used to have back in the day where they would play back at double the normal speed.

Now it wont even OPEN the avi file onto the Virtualdub window, i also tried draging the AVI file to Virtualdub and that also didnt work.

Do you guys know of a good program for compressing, or the better and easiest way to do thos entire process? ANY suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank yoU in advance !!!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try FairUse wizard......
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nucklhead24

My first step was using Xilisoft to convert DVD to AVI, I was looking to be able to do it directly to a 700 MB size file but looks like it is not possible.
    This certainly IS possible to do, very easily in fact, but since I know nothing about Xilisoft, that is certainly where your problem is. You can use other programs such as AutoGK to do this very thing. You'll just need to calculate the bitrate to finish with a 700 MB file. A bit rate of about 650 Kbps should do the trick if you make sure to keep the audio at 224 Kbps MP3 or less. Dr. Divx could also easily do this and Dr. Divx is free, but the Divx codec it uses isn't. However, Dr. Divx is incredibly easy to use and AutoGK is not. You'll need to find some guides on using AutoGK.
    http://www.doom9.net
    is one place to look for guides on it.

I suppose I should warn you that if what you want to share is copies of commercial DVDs, I really don't advise doing this. The MPAA does pay a company to monitor P2P networks for piracy and if they happen to get interested in you because of what you are sharing, you're not going to be real happy if they take you to court.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for your quick response everyone, i will try the autoGK option first since i already have that program installed, if that doesnt work then i will try Fairuse wizard. BTW thanks for the advice Jman98, it makes alot of sense but i notice its almost free for everyone to do this out there on various sites. I mean its not like theyre trying to even hide anything, it makes me wonder why this would be allowed. I ve also seen copyrighted material being sold on yahoo auctions and you would think authorities would be tracking down on that specially right?

anyways i mainly want to do this as an experiment and see it as a challenge, that is the main rason i want to do this.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by t0nee1
    Try FairUse wizard......
    WOW ! this program is EXCELLENT and did just what I needed, i was able to convert my 2hr DVD straight to a 697 MB file in excellent quality as well!!! I am so glad I found this forum and I was able to get the help I needed right away.

Thank you all so much again and I would recomment FairUse Wizard to any newbee out there and use this tutorial to go along with it http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/160/59/

[/url]
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jman98
    You can use other programs such as AutoGK to do this very thing. You'll just need to calculate the bitrate to finish with a 700 MB file...However, Dr. Divx is incredibly easy to use and AutoGK is not. You'll need to find some guides on using AutoGK.
    http://www.doom9.net
    is one place to look for guides on it.
    Just for the record; when using AutoGK, you never see anything about bitrate. It's all about the final size. In fact, 700 MB is one of the choices in the "Predefined Size" dropdown box, while 2 CD (1400 MB) is the default. And I would dispute that it's not easy to use. It was developed for beginners, and while there are a number of guides available, the best one being included with the program:

http://www.autogk.me.uk/modules.php?name=TutorialEN

and while I usually recommend reading a guide or 2 to learn all its ins and outs, the program is so easy to use that it's not really necessary.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey nucklhead, as much as I love AutoGK, FairUse is pretty awesome...IMO....can never have too many tools!!!
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote