VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a samsung dvd-r130 with the firewre input in the front. I;m using avid express, but when i go to the dv of my player it says there's no devices connected. is there some setting that i'm missing for me not to get this working. my cam works fine, but i wanna record videos in real time from my computer
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by beatz2005
    I have a samsung dvd-r130 with the firewre input in the front. I;m using avid express, but when i go to the dv of my player it says there's no devices connected. is there some setting that i'm missing for me not to get this working. my cam works fine, but i wanna record videos in real time from my computer
    Some DVD recorders require camcorder device control protocol (e.g. preroll confirmation, cue to timecode handsakes). These won't work.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    but usually they should have all of that stuff in avid
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by beatz2005
    but usually they should have all of that stuff in avid
    No device protocol on NLE DV unless you try "print to tape" but that usually assumes a camcorder at the other end. The DVD recorder won't respond to camcorder control commands. It's the same problem in reverse.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It all depends on your DVD recorder.

Some with FireWire input are recognized by Windows as valid DV devices, others aren't.

A number of users of our software have reported successfully sending DV videos to external DVD recorders via FireWire.

You might like to try it - see if your DVD recorder shows up in the list of connected devices. Some show up in our software but not in others (probably because of the way we detect attached DV devices).

As edDV points out, device control will most likely not work, though.

EDIT: Please see this thread: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic317654.html
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    It all depends on your DVD recorder.

Some with FireWire input are recognized by Windows as valid DV devices, others aren't.

A number of users of our software have reported successfully sending DV videos to external DVD recorders via FireWire.

You might like to try it - see if your DVD recorder shows up in the list of connected devices. Some show up in our software but not in others (probably because of the way we detect attached DV devices).

As edDV points out, device control will most likely not work, though.

EDIT: Please see this thread: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic317654.html
    To clarify, the main reason some DVD recorders don't accept an NLE DV feed is they require DV camcorder device control dialog. No video is accepted until the the "camcoder" reports that is is cued to preroll point, etc. The NLE doesn't respond like a camcoder so the DVD recorder sits there waiting for dialog.

It was this very same issue that caused the Mainconcept standalone MPeg2 encoder to refuse a direct DV feed until version 1.5. Vegas and Premiere allow capture from Canopus ADVC devices only if you turn "DV device control" off in the preference settings.
    Quote Quote  
  7. There's also a very low level communication that has to occur before any software can send data to the external recorder. When the recorder is physically connected to a Windows-based PC via FireWire, the OS will attempt to obtain plug-and-play information and, if that is successful, try to communicate using the AV/C Protocol. If this fails, no software will be able to send data to the DVD recorder using the Microsoft drivers (that means pretty much any software that uses DirectShow). In other words, the external DVD recorder won't show up in the list of attached devices.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    There's also a very low level communication that has to occur before any software can send data to the external recorder. When the recorder is physically connected to a Windows-based PC via FireWire, the OS will attempt to obtain plug-and-play information and, if that is successful, try to communicate using the AV/C Protocol. If this fails, no software will be able to send data to the DVD recorder using the Microsoft drivers (that means pretty much any software that uses DirectShow). In other words, the external DVD recorder won't show up in the list of attached devices.
    I agree but of the few DVD IEEE-1394 input recorders I've connected to my DV camcorder, the camcorder reports a "DV in" connection but the PC doesn't see the recorder as a AV/C device.
    Quote Quote  
  9. It seems that some recorders implement the AV/C protocol and others don't. For camcorder-to-recorder connections, it doesn't appear to matter. For connections to a Windows-based PC, it does.

nlec posted this very interesting observation about hacking the Microsoft driver:

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic324477.html
    Quote Quote