VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could someone tell me where I can get a H.264/MPEG-4 AVC codec. Preferably a single codec download. (For Vista)

As long as it doesn't have anything DivX related.

I would REALLY appreciate it. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would also say Quicktime as it's free but I don't know how well it works within Vista yet.
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ffdshow also has h.264/avc-decoding and it's free!
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, ffdshow is enough for most h264/avc but Coreavc is the best for HD h264/avc...and it's only $10....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Coreavc i understand may have some issues with vista - but maybe not ... they dont list it anyway --- prob on support forum would be answer
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hey oh

Ok, I will say, I have apple quicktime installed. I have ffdshow installed. I have enabled, one at a time, all settings for mp4 in ffdshow with no effect on playback too. There is no working download link on the coreavc webstite. H.264/MPEG-4 AVC encoded (or any mp4 videos really) will not play on my computer. GSpot reports various reasons from unknown codec, missing codec, Codec Status Undetermined etc. for mp4 files.

What other option is there for playing H.264/MPEG-4 AVC encoded videos then?

Oh and yes, just this week I uninstalled ffdshow and quicktime and fresh downloaded and installed them JUST to be sure I hadn't missed out on an update.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by BJ_M
    http://www.leadcodecs.com/Codecs/LEAD-H264.htm

http://www.elecard.com/
    Ahh the 25 dollar solution, that wasn't a solution. With it my mp4 files will only play in Gspot's viewer when I force it to play with their codec. They will not play in any other player on my comp.

The 30 dollar solution failed outright.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Possibly you might need Haali's Matroska Splitter as is also can demux MP4-H264/AVC-files and feed it to either ffdshow, CoreAVC or Elecards H264/AVC-decoder. I use all three of them with no issues. PowerDVD also has H264/AVC-decoding abilities but its not free like ffdshow, which on the other hand still has problems with some CABAC- and or PAFF-encoded H264/AVC-videos like they are transmitted by some satellite HDTV-channels.

Good luck with your quest

Schmendrick
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    could one of you gurus explain what this really means?:]

Because both the MOV and MP4 containers can use the same MPEG-4 codecs, they are mostly interchangeable in a QuickTime-only environment. However, MP4, being an international standard, has more support. This is especially true on hardware devices, such as the Sony PSP and various DVD players; on the software side, most DirectShow / Video for Windows codec packs include an MP4 parser, but not one for MOV.

In QuickTime Pro's MPEG-4 Export dialog, an option called "Passthrough" allows a clean export to MP4 without affecting the audio or video streams. One recent discrepancy ushered in by QuickTime 7 is that the MOV file format now supports multichannel audio (used, for example, in the high-definition trailers on Apple's site[10]), while QuickTime's support for audio in the MP4 container is limited to stereo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QuickTime
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MP4 also can include multichannel audio like AAC-multichannel audio. Dolby-digital AC3-audio cannot be used directly. Someone on this or an other forum mentioned that AC3-audio can be multiplexed into MP4 as "private data stream", but I have not found a multiplexer/program capable to do this.
    Quote Quote