VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi im trying to rip/extract digital wav. files through the internal pc dvd rom drive from sources such as DVD-movie (mpeg2) as well as AVI/DIVX

i would rather not have to extract the whole 2 hour movie audio file to get a 5 secnd clip, so please suggest something that will let me do this for specific clips or at least chapters.

I DO NOT want something that does RE-SAMPLING (such as http://www.roemersoftware.com/ )
    cause these little programs simply record on the fly whatever comes out of your soundcard but unfortunately since they re-sample everything you also get the unwanted motherboard noise and all.

i really want an exact digital copy of the audio as it was recorded in the studio when movie was made.

thanx!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Virtualdubmod,
    Open video
    Select start/Mark in and stop/Mark out (the buttons at the bottom center)
    Last select Stream->streams list and select the audio track and click demux

Done.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="ted demen"]

i would rather not have to extract the whole 2 hour movie audio file to get a 5 secnd clip, so please suggest something that will let me do this for specific clips or at least chapters.

/quote]

This is not a realistic goal. Although it is possible with various DVD rippers to only rip specific chapters, it's not possible to do this with AVI/Divx. You also can't tell any program which specific time indexes to only rip the audio between. You will need an audio editor to extract short clips from individual chapters that you rip from DVD and in the case of AVI/Divx, you'll have to rip the whole thing and then edit out what you want.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanx Baldrick,
    seems like virtualdubmod is the one (although it doesnt preview avi files, and for some reason there is no sound when i load in a dvd, however after i save as wav, the sound is there)

oh and what about if i want to extract every chapter off a dvd, so i need to do it all at once or can i do all at the same time (i guess i can use dvd decrypter for that process in IFO mode?)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98

This is not a realistic goal. Although it is possible with various DVD rippers to only rip specific chapters, it's not possible to do this with AVI/Divx. You also can't tell any program which specific time indexes to only rip the audio between. You will need an audio editor to extract short clips from individual chapters that you rip from DVD and in the case of AVI/Divx, you'll have to rip the whole thing and then edit out what you want.
    i use sound forge as an editor.

on a side note, say i needed to rip the entire soundtrack off a dvd or avi...
    what would be the quickest one click solution for that?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For DVD I use Decrypter. For AVI, TMPGEnc Xpress will do the job, it wil also do DVD.
    With Xpress you can also cut short clips only.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tinker
    For DVD I use Decrypter. For AVI, TMPGEnc Xpress will do the job, it wil also do DVD.
    With Xpress you can also cut short clips only.
    some questions:

1. does it do short clips with just avi? or dvd (mpeg2) as well?

2. and does it re-sample through the soundcard converters? or is it a ripp/digital extraction?

3. and one last thing, if ripping off a dvd; can you do it in real time and straight from the drive by clip? (or do you first have to copy dvd to harddrive)

thanx
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    Vdubmod can rip the audio anywhere in the movie clip. You just have to set your markers.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ted demen

3. and one last thing, if ripping off a dvd; can you do it in real time and straight from the drive by clip? (or do you first have to copy dvd to harddrive)

thanx
    If it's it's unprotected you should be able to do it from the drive with a number of apps like pgcdemux, dgindex, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was gone for a while, that is why no answer.
    #1 Yes
    #2 No, Yes
    #3 If DVD not protected, than you can do it without copy to HD, but editing takes too long, not recommended. If DVD protected you have to rip it first.
    Quote Quote