VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I use the software called Mini- Stream Ripper to record streaming audio. I wanted to record a Windows Media stream, but the Mini Stream Ripper gave me a message that I need to first install
    Windows Media Library 9.5. (Please see http://www.mini-stream.net/product/downloads)
    This is a 5.5MB exe file that is called "wmfdist95.exe". After some reading, I found that apparently this exe is some kind of codec library file that comes from Microsoft. After downloading and installing the file, now I seem to be able to record the Windows Media Audio.
    However, as a matter of principle, I like to know what I am installing on my computer. After installing this 5.5MB file, I could not see it listed on the ADD/REMOVE program list. Also, when I did a search on my computer, I could not find where the files had gone. So, I don't know how to delete the software from my computer. (I want to know how to delete this software, even if I later decide to reinstall it.) I don't understand why this software has to be so big (5.5MB) and I don't really trust Microsoft. Can someone tell me where thes files have gone on my computer and what method I can use to find it and delete it? I am a newby and I really want to learn how to find and delete files.
    Quote Quote  
  2. My guess is it's in c:\Windows\System32. Unless you enable searching in hidden folders it wouldn't be found there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    5.5MB is very small. WMFDist95.exe installs a number of .dll files into windows32. Searching for wmfdist95.exe will only find the installer that you downloaded, not what it installed. Look for Windows Media Format in your add/remove, as well as Windows Media 9 VCM. However don't be surprised if you have playback or encoding issues with WMVs after removing them.

If you are honestly that paranoid about M$ that you have to remove these small video library files immediately, you should move to Linux sooner rather than later.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote