VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, Ive read a few thread on here that were similar to my problem but I haven't been able to come up with a solution. The video file was converted to a avi(Xvid) and already came subtitled but also includes the .srt as well. I converted it to .mp4 to view on my psp but when I converted it, the subtitles werent there. So I tried to mux the .mp4 file and the .srt file but when I watched it their were still no subtitles. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    THe psp doesn't support switchable subs muxed in the mp4. You have to make permanent subs when converting to mp4. How are you converting now?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know how a PSP handles subtitles, but with Xvids, the .srt subs are in the same folder as the video and have the same name, such as movie.avi and movie.srt. Some PC players like VLC will find and play them automatically, while others need to have a program like VOBSub installed.

Or you can use VirtualDub Mod and hard sub them. (Burn them into the video). Look to the 'Stickies' at the top of this forum for how to do that.

When you say the 'movie already came subtitled', do you mean subtitles burned into the video itself

And welcome to our forums.

EDIT: I deleted your 'delete' post.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks

Im using pspvideo9 for conversion. Ah I see, that would make perfect sense. When I said it came subtitled I meant that when you pay the video their already there but I didnt realize that players use the .srt along with the avi file. I thought they were seperate just in case you needed the .srt file for some reason. I'll go read the sticky on harding the subs into the video thanks a lot!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried asking in the sticky but I guess people dont visit it too much but How do you add the TextSub After Video>Filters?
    Quote Quote  
  6. i think, just like iPod, PSP can not play mp4 video with external subtitle file, so you have to embed subtitles into video stream when converting the video from .AVI to .MP4

if you have already installed VOBSub(VSFilter), then just use a video converting software which can automatically activate VSFliter (to embed subtitles onto video) during video conversion. i use sothink psp video converter for example.

before conversion, remember to put the subtitle file at the same folder with the video file (using same file name)

i found this tutorial that might be helpful, though it is not for PSP:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Subtitle-Video-for-Ipod
    Quote Quote