VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A few months ago I was doing the video for an event where the audio guy had a digital soundboard that could record the audio for the entire presentation to a flash drive. I'd very much like to have something like that. I'm not one to know about audio equipment, and I don't even know what to call what I'm looking for. The soundboard I saw was huge... I'd prefer something inexpensive and very portable. I really don't need more than 2 mic inputs. The key is recording to a flash drive. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Quote Quote  
  2. A good place to check out audio recording equipment is www.musiciansfriend.com, they've got stacks of gear. Here's a link to their field recorder page, these all use flash memory:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/rec/navigation/recording-two-track-stereo-mastering-dig...=100001+304756

Most field recorders I've seen are pretty simple, maybe one or two inputs, which seems to be what you're most looking for; the mixing board recorders tend to be designed more for studio or club use.

EDIT: "Inexpensive" is a bit relative, but the Edirol ($399) is a great deal and it records 48khz, so if you want to use this as a soundtrack recorder for later mixing into your DV editing, it'll do nicely.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm, thanks for the link! I like the look of the Marantz one, it's $499. It has two XLR inputs, which would be handy for working with sound guys and their soundboards... our cameras' 8th inch inputs sometimes cause trouble.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Glad I could help! Yeah, the Marantz is a great deal for what does, especially with XLR inputs. Have fun out there!
    Quote Quote