VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Ok this bugs me from time to time. I usually here people use the term "download" for everything. Like I'll download it to the computer or something. When in some instances it really should be "uploading".

For instance - isn't everytime a user posts a file on the internet really "uploading"??? Because you are going from your source - your computer - to an online server. Isn't that truly "uploading"?? I mean obviously taking a file off a website is true downloading.

But how about putting say pictures from a camera onto your computer. Is that uploading or downloading? When is it proper to treat one direction as the "receiving" device????

I guess what I'm getting at is when are you TRULY UPLOADING something?? It seems like downloading is overused and uploading is underused correctly.

Anybody have definitive real world answers?? (or are they truly interchangeable and its all a matter of perception? Like whether or not the glass is half full or half empty??)
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It seems to depend on which end you are on. If you are sending a file, you are uploading it. The person that receives it, downloads it. Not to say that most of us don't the terms interchangeably at times.

Maybe it comes from the mysterious 'Ethernet' that our files disappear up into and usually come back down to us from those 'ether regions'.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    From the pc is uploading. To the pc is downloading.
    Jagabo, please do not reply to this post. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    But how about putting say pictures from a camera onto your computer. Is that uploading or downloading?
    You would be uploading to your PC, downloading from the camera.

As redwudz said, it all depends on which end you're on - sending or receiving.

So saying "I'm going to download the pictures" could be correct, because you would be downloading them from the camera. And saying "I'm going to upload the pictures" could be correct too, because you would be uploading them to the computer. Just depends on how you're using the it in the sentence

But I know what you mean, you hear the word "download" used alot more than "upload", and it's usually used incorrectly - like "I'm going to download that to the server", when it should be upload because they are on the sending side.
    "Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgment."
    Zefram Cochrane
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Depends on where the PC fits in your personal hierarchy. Capture from a cable box or camcorder would be a download, even if it was a DV or MPeg2_TS transfer. Would an ISO burn to a DVD writer be an upload? I doubt it.

I think it just means data coming down from a server or up to a server. I guess this means the server outranks the PC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. That kinda makes sense. It is interchangeable in terms of which hardware is on the receiving end. I just know that the terms just don't seem to be used equally enough in my opinion.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    Ok. That kinda makes sense. It is interchangeable in terms of which hardware is on the receiving end. I just know that the terms just don't seem to be used equally enough in my opinion.
    If the camcorder is considered a server I guess a DV transfer to a camcorder would be an upload.
    Quote Quote  
  8. The terms upload and download describe the same action, but from opposite perspectives. Uploading means it is going away, downloading means that it is coming to you.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gadgetguy
    The terms upload and download describe the same action, but from opposite perspectives. Uploading means it is going away, downloading means that it is coming to you.
    But do you ever hear about a server uploading to a PC?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by edDV
    Sure, servers often upload forced updates to PCs in private networks.
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gadgetguy
    Originally Posted by edDV
    Sure, servers often upload forced updates to PCs in private networks.
    Would that be the same as the windows update feature if you have it on automatic updates??
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by yoda313
    Would that be the same as the windows update feature if you have it on automatic updates??
    No, because the PC initiates the download for windows updates. Forced updates uploaded on a network are initiated by the server when the user logs in.

(Edited for clarity.)
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm. I think "to" vs. "from" or "send" vs. "request" might be better terms.

"up" and "down" denotes hierarchy.

When considering the word "denote" vs "connote" I consulted thefreedictionary.com

"Connote" returned
    con·note (k-nt)
    tr.v. con·not·ed, con·not·ing, con·notes
    1. To suggest or imply in addition to literal meaning: "The term 'liberal arts' connotes a certain elevation above utilitarian concerns" George F. Will. See Usage Note at denote.
    2. To have as a related or attendant condition: For a political leader, hesitation is apt to connote weakness.
    After reading that "connote" #1 seems to imply a false hierarchy. So to me "denote" seemed right.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by edDV
    Hmm. I think "to" vs. "from" or "send" vs. "request" might be better terms.

"up" and "down" denotes hierarchy.

When considering the word "denote" vs "connote" I consulted thefreedictionary.com

"Connote" returned
    con·note (k-nt)
    tr.v. con·not·ed, con·not·ing, con·notes
    1. To suggest or imply in addition to literal meaning: "The term 'liberal arts' connotes a certain elevation above utilitarian concerns" George F. Will. See Usage Note at denote.
    2. To have as a related or attendant condition: For a political leader, hesitation is apt to connote weakness.
    After reading that "connote" #1 seems to imply a false hierarchy. So to me "denote" seemed right.
    Yeah, but that doesn't really answer the original question.
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "to be or not to be" that is the question

Jeez I didn't think it was this complex of a question but then I guess it's been pointed out it all depends on which device you treat as the receiving device.
    Quote Quote