VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey folks!!!

I'm new here, but have been lurking around for a while. Like most of everyone here, I have a TON of old tapes I want to start converting to DVD. But I'm not sure what equipment to buy. I've seen enough around the board to know it's not going to be cheap, and that's OK, I know I'll have to spend a bit of money to get a quality outcome. But, what I am a little confused about is, what are the current models of S-VHS players, TBC's and such that I would need to buy. Most of the guides posted on this site seem to be outdated, going back a few years, and I'm not sure they still apply today.

So any help you can give someone starting from scratch would be great. I'd basically like to know what I need to buy and where to buy it. What's good current model and what’s not, that kind of stuff. I know for sure starting from scratch I'm looking for the following: S-VHS, TBC, and Capture Card.

Thanks guys and girls!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    JVC SR-V101US is the "new" model, buy new at B&H. Or get a 7600 or higher, or 9600 or higher, or SR-V10U unit, refurbs or used.

JVC DR-M10 or DR-M100 DVD recorder, or Toshiba XS34or XS35 DVD recorder. Refurbs and used.

Or ATI All In Wonder Radeon AGP card, used. Hauppauge PVR250 might be okay, but the ATI is better.

AVT-8710 is cheaper $200 TBC, but DataVideo TBC-1000 is much better for only $100 more. New from B&H, both of them. Pricegrabberc.om and find them too.

Your comments about outdated guides does not apply. Really nothing has changed these past 4-5 years now, concerning the capture and preservation of VHS. The method is as good as it's going to get. We added some DVD recorders in 2004-2005, to replace capture cards, but that's about it. The only "new" tech is geared towards streaming, HD, and other stuff you don't need to know about, to create DVDs from VHS.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank Discs • Best TBCs • Best VCRs for capture • Restore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Clon3isNasty, welcome to VH.
    Consider a standalone DVD recorder. It may be cheaper and could be much easier with fewer components to buy.
    Just a thought.
    Good luck,
    NL
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I thought about a DVD Recorder, but I wasn't really sure about the quality I would get back on the DVD. I figure with a DVD Recorder, I'm basically just going to get a DVD that looks exactly like the VHS. None of my tapes are in need of major restoration, but some that are around 15 years old could use a little help that I was hoping something like a TBC could correct. Plus, I'd like to put some advanced menus on the DVD and such. One question though, Lordsmurf listed a few DVD Recorders, is there a reason I would need a standalone DVD Recorder, if I am going to capture it through the PC?

Also, how does the JVC SR-V101US compare to some of the older models mentioned. I'd like to buy new instead of used, just for the piece of mind that it's not going to stop working as soon as I get it, but if there are some significant benefits to some of the older models, I may consider searching around for one. I imagine the only place to find something like that on-line is eBay?

Also, I have a ATI AIW Radeon 9700 card on an old PC sitting in the basement, what do you think of that card? There is one problem however, My current motherboard does not have AGP slots, only PCI and PCIe. So I don't think I could use it, unless I used the old system for capturing.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Dvd recorders do more than just capture. They have input signal processing that can eliminate some kinds of tape roll and jitter and some have aggressive noise filters. Each brand's abillity is a bit different. You can also use hardware TBC's, color correctors, process amplifiers, etc. to correct problems before it is captured in the recorder.

I have been involved in a big family project converting VHS and VHS-C tapes for awhile now. Some of these tapes are older than yours. I use the recorder for all the non-problem tapes and use other means as required. The recorder saves a lot of time but if you go that route, get a more recent model. The newer ones have better support for the latest media. Hard drive models are the most flexible but are currently a bit hard to find.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I concur with Trhouse, heres a link on some DVD Recorder that were tested...

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=279460&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=dvd
    http://www.absolutevisionvideo.com

BLUE SKY, BLACK DEATH!!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Even if I use a stand alone DVD Recorder, I would still need a SVHS Player and TBC, right? I'd like the DVDs to come out as best as possible. I'm not trying to skirt around costs and save money, just looking for the best results. Now if I can get the best results for cheaper, well, then I'm all for that as well. But, with a DVD recorder, what kind of menu options would I get. I'm looking to do some advanced menus with this project. So, now I guess I'm confused more.

Also, I'm thinking now about taking that old system as using it strictly for capturing. I can't remember all the specs on it. I know it was a P4, I think it was a 2.2 or 2.4 GHz processor. Not really sure how much RAM was in it I know it was over 1GB PC2100. And an ATI Radeon AIW 9700 Capture card. That should be able to handle it? Correct?
    Quote Quote  
  8. The best results are achieved by professionals who may spend man years on restoration. What is more important is to determine the time you can devote to this. It will help you decide on the proper tools. For example, if you have 330 tapes and use tools that take three hours per tape, it will require nearly 1,000 hours which is equivalent to a full time job for six months.

Menu options depends on the recorder. Hard drive models again have the most options. Many people capture with the recorder and create the menus on the PC because it is efficient.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by trhouse
    The best results are achieved by professionals who may spend man years on restoration. What is more important is to determine the time you can devote to this. It will help you decide on the proper tools. For example, if you have 330 tapes and use tools that take three hours per tape, it will require nearly 1,000 hours which is equivalent to a full time job for six months.

Menu options depends on the recorder. Hard drive models again have the most options. Many people capture with the recorder and create the menus on the PC because it is efficient.
    How does that work getting a menu from the PC onto the DVD Recorder?
    Quote Quote  
  10. I think you may have misunderstood what I meant which is that many people capture the video with the recorder to re-recordable media and then transfer that media to the PC for menus and burn the final product with the PC to dvd-r or +r.

It is possible that there is a hard drive recorder that can upload your custom menus but I am not sure of the brand. It may be LG519

[edit]Toshiba's like the XS54 allow custom uploads of menu backgrounds.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think you may have misunderstood what I meant which is that many people capture the video with the recorder to re-recordable media and then transfer that media to the PC for menus and burn the final product with the PC to dvd-r or +r.

It is possible that there is a hard drive recorder that can upload your custom menus but I am not sure of the brand. It may be LG519
    Ahhh. Ok. Sorry, hehe. Well if I'm going to have to do that, I'm probably better off with a capture card, right? I'm really liking this idea of a dedicated capturing machine. With the machine I have just sitting collecting dust, I'd probably just need to throw a better DVD Burner in there. Any suggestions? Are there burners that burn Dual-Layer?
    Quote Quote  
  12. A recorder is a dedicated computer with firmware instead of software. I found recorders to be much more reliable. No sound out of sync with video issues, no finding the capture stopped for some unknown reason. The only time I have had a problem with a recorder is bad media or the power went out. Good media might have about a 2% failure to burn rate.

I have a Sony DRU-820 that burns DL very nicely.

Creating custom menus on the PC is reliable but capturing was a different story. I never resolved why one tape would suddenly stop capturing to a card at exactly one hour and ten minutes but captured perfectly on any recorder.

P.S. Burning on the PC is only necessary if you do not like the menus from the recorder. If you like the recorders menus then you are done. The learning curve for a card is longer. The biggest advantage of a card is more control and the opportunity to do two pass VBR but that all adds to the time it takes.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A recorder is a dedicated computer with firmware instead of software. I found recorders to be much more reliable. No sound out of sync with video issues, no finding the capture stopped for some unknown reason. The only time I have had a problem with a recorder is bad media or the power went out. Good media might have about a 2% failure to burn rate.

I have a Sony DRU-820 that burns DL very nicely.

Creating custom menus on the PC is reliable but capturing was a different story. I never resolved why one tape would suddenly stop capturing to a card at exactly one hour and ten minutes but captured perfectly on any recorder.

P.S. Burning on the PC is only necessary if you do not like the menus from the recorder. If you like the recorders menus then you are done. The learning curve for a card is longer. The biggest advantage of a card is more control and the opportunity to do two pass VBR but that all adds to the time it takes.
    I'm not at all opposed to this idea. Let me make sure I've got it though, I would run the tapes through a SVHS and TBC to a DVD Recorder with re recorable media, and then make a menu on the PC and re burn it on the final disk? I have had some exprience capturing and it could be a pain sometimes, so if you folks say this is the easier way to go, I'm definitely game.

I still think however, I need a new DVD Burner for my PC. Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD burner for computer = PIONEER 111 or 112
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    DVD burner for computer = PIONEER 111 or 112
    Whats the difference between DVR-xxx and DVR-xxxD models?

EDIT: I went ahead and bought a JVC DRM100S from eCost.com. It's a refurb, hope it gets to me in working order, hehe.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Check it out thoroughly. There have been reports of these units being damaged in shipment from eCost but they have a good exchange policy. You will need a process amplifier to correct the IRE error. The JVC expects IRE=0 but VHS is IRE=7.5.

If you got the $59 price, it is a bargain.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Check it out thoroughly. There have been reports of these units being damaged in shipment from eCost but they have a good exchange policy. You will need a process amplifier to correct the IRE error. The JVC expects IRE=0 but VHS is IRE=7.5.

If you got the $59 price, it is a bargain.
    I did get the $59 price, and uh, whats this you speak of a process amplifier's and IRE errors? I don't really know anything about it. What do I need? What do I do? hehe

Also, any suggestions on media to use?
    Quote Quote  
  18. There is a sticky about IRE setting. The JVC has no adjustment for it so you need an external device like a process amplifier to correct it. Not correcting it means the recordings will not produce a true black.

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic259098.html

Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim media are both very good.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Boy, this is getting more confusing then i ever wanted it to be, lol. So as I understand it, I have to add 7.5 IRE so the picture isn't recorded too dark. And to do that I need a process amplifier. I don't know what that is, and where I can get one, any suggestions?

Also, Thanks so much for being so kind as to help me through all this. I'm looking forward to working on this project, but wouldn't be able to do it without the help from fine folks like yourselves.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have never seen an IRE error on my JVC recordings. I have, however, seen IRE error on other folk's JVC recordings. I think it has more to do with source than it does with the LSI chipset itself. The LSI does have adjustable IRE (as seen by Apex DRX9000 behavior), so I can only guess some are set wrong?

I would not worry about it. It's the least of your concerns right now.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I disagree. Gshelley61 and I have independently tested three JVC DR-M10S's for this error and all three had the error. The results were posted to this sticky,

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic279460.html

The sources were checked with a scope so there is no source error. Both M10's tested behaved precisely the same with no measureable variance. Moreover, when tested with an IRE=0 source , the JVC reproduces the source perfectly. The Sony GX315 is another IRE=0 recorder.

The error is not caused by the chipset but by the recorder designer. The LG RC797T recorder I just tested uses an LSI chipset and does not have the error nor does the Polaroid 2001G which also has an LSI chipset.

There is a difference between knowing about an error and if it bothers you. Some people are not concerned about it. The error will cause VHS recordings to appear lighter not darker. With VHS, IRE=7.5 represents black. The JVC represents black as IRE=0, since VHS never goes down to IRE=0, the JVC will believe the tape never goes to black but a dark gray.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I guess I'll check out this IRE thing when I get going.

So far, I've purchased:
    JVC DRM100S DVD Recorder from eCost.
    JVC SR-V101US SHVHS Player from BH.
    TBC-1000 from eBay. Auction listed it as new. Is there really ay way to tell when I get it that it is working properly?

I'm still on the lookout for these Pioneer DVD Burners, I have seen 111D's and 112D's, I don't know if there is much differenct between the 111 and 111D, same for the 112 and the 122D, anyone know?

Also, cabling. Do I need Monster cable or anything?
    Quote Quote  
  23. No, you do not need Monster brand cables. Over-priced and I bet not any better to the eyes and ears than Radio Shack Gold series cables. You can find cables just as good or better for far less. Since your costs are adding up I wouldn't waste money on Monster cables.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My JVC DRM100S DVD Recorder arrived today. Everything seems OK, I recorded an hour long program off of Digital Cable for testing and it came out well. There is one problem however. It appears the rear inputs do not work. When I plugged my cable into the rear input I got nothing but a blank screen, no pic or sound. But when plugging it in the front inputs I got a perfect picture and sound. The nearest JVC Service Center is 50 miles away. Is it worth mailing and repairing if the front inputs work. Or I wonder if eCost would replace it. What do you think?

What about IRE and recording from cable. When playing the DVD back on a different DVD Player, the picture does seem brighter then the original source. Do I need to change some settings. Or need a process amplifier?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hello...
    was just reading this thread and had a question...if the JVC DR-M100s has IRE issues, and the toshiba is really expensive, can anyone reccomend a really good standalone dvd recorder (to use for vhs restoration) without IRE or other issues that is inexpensive? (preferably under $150, used or refurb). anyways, let me know. thanks!!
    ~adam
    Quote Quote  
  26. Why is the Toshiba too expensive? Both DR4's and DR5's are available on eBay at any number of places for a "buy it now" price of $99.
    Quote Quote  
  27. What about IRE and recording from cable. When playing the DVD back on a different DVD Player, the picture does seem brighter then the original source. Do I need to change some settings. Or need a process amplifier?
    There is an alternative. You can do what Lordsmurf has mentioned in the past. That is use a Panasonic DMR-ES10 recorder ahead of the M100S as a preprocessor. The ES10 can reduce certain kinds of jitter both horizontally and vertically. The ES10 also has input and output IRE adjustments so it can correctly accept an IRE=7.5 input and output at IRE=0 for the M100S. eBay "buy it now" prices for an ES10 are about $80.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Think strategically.

1. Mass transfer with DVD recorder. Save the tapes.

2. Review and log the gems.

3. Recapture the gem tape to a PC at max quality and personal labor.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hey...
    about the toshiba, i was reffering to the xs-35 or 34 which new go for $400-500. would the toshiba dr-4 and dr-5's be of similar quality to the xs34, except without the Hard Drive? do people have experience with these machines? anyhow, let me know. thanks!
    ~adam
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by adameep
    . would the toshiba dr-4 and dr-5's be of similar quality to the xs34, except without the Hard Drive?
    No.
    Quote Quote