VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i want to copy some old VHS tapes to DVD, and in building my new computer i was told i needed the IEEE 1394 port added on or could i just hook up my vcr to my computer through some other already existing port/line.

i was also looking to get the Roxio Creator 9 Premier software for this job.

am i going in the right direction or is there something better i should use.

thanks for all your help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    IF your VCR has a firewire output, (which I doubt) that would be your best bet. Otherwise, NO, you cannot capture on existing ports unless you already have a video capture card. If not, you'll need one.

OR you could spend the money on a DVD recorder and do it that way.
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so is this IEEE 1394 port what i would need to hook up the vcr to my computer?

i am just trying to figure out what i would need to copy my vhs tapes to DVD. kind of like a recipe. would anyone be able to do that?
    Quote Quote  
  4. 1394(firewire) is for camcorders.You need one composite(RCA) or S-Video cable for video and two composite for audio.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK
    1394(firewire) is for camcorders.You need one composite(RCA) or S-Video cable for video and two composite for audio.
    so is there a specific 1 i should buy and is it a simple installation to my computer...also would it be installed internally or externally?

and what about this ROXIO software is it the right software to use?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Try these :

1. Do you have a digital camcorder ? If no, then you most likely don't need it now.

2. Roxio is a poor software to deal with DVD and firewire.

3. Nearly all the firewire add-on card are tha same. They all work with standard. A generics brand cost $29.00 will get you card, cable, and driver.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All firewire cards and interfaces are not equal. Some cameras and some cards do not work together, and there are also problems which come from cables.

If the motherboard on your machine does not have a built in firewire port, do not buy one until you have something that will use it. There's nothing worse than having a piece of equipment which has been in you hands too long after purchase to return when you discover it does not work with your new expensive camera.

Lots of people get good results with Windows Moviemaker which is free with XP. Roxio is not any better in my opinion. If you are building a machine, I recommend factoring whether a DVDburner comes with NERO express into my thinking. I find that when I can use Nero express on my movies (function of source file formats) I get better results than with freeware tools like DVDFlick.
    Quote Quote  
  8. My advice would be to stop right where you are and start doing some reading. There are far too many things you need to know before you start buying any hardware. You have not even asked about a TBC.

Best bet would probably be a DVD recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for everyone's help, but i am still having problems.

i am not a very technological person and the more i read up on this the more confused i get. which is not to say the act itself of turning my vhs tapes into dvd is beyond my reach, i will figure it out.

when i get sick, i go to the doctor he tells me to take medicine and rest and i do it, i want this process to go the same way, where someone tells me i need this, this, and this, to hook it up and then get this software and you can do it.

thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you considered a standalone DVD recorder? Why do you need the computer?
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorders
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i guess because i have a perfectly functioning dvd player, but i am in the market of buying a new computer so why not get all the bells and whistles put into the new computer instead.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by edDV
    Have you considered a standalone DVD recorder? Why do you need the computer?
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorders
    Do this.
    Quote Quote  
  13. This is pretty strait forward:

a. If all you are going to do is copy a VHS tape to DVD, buy a dvd recorder. It's easier and it won't tie up your computer.

b. If you plan on creating menus and edit the content, then you would need to use your computer.

Understand the process to encode on a computer will take the same amount of time as the length of the recording. Thus if you have a 2 hour program on your VHS tape, it will take 2 hours to encode. There's no way around that. Not too mention, depending on your encoding hardware and the condition of your source tape, the quality can be very poor.

Even with a DVD recorder the quality can be poor (depending on the condition of the source tape) and it will still take the same amount of time to record.

Honestly, if it's something you can get on DVD - get the DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes i want to also be able to edit and maybe add music and everything else. so i would need to use my computer to do that.

i am not completely against a dvd recorder though i knew it wasn't going to give the final product that i wanted.
    Quote Quote  
  15. ** Nearly all DVD recorders have IEEE1394 input port **

You should consider record to DVD recorder, and that get you a DVDR.

Your PC can reads that DVDR, and you can edit, add features...,

Direct capture to PC with USB, capture card, firewire, are mostly needed before the invention of DVD recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by SingSing
    You should consider record to DVD recorder, and that get you a DVDR.

Your PC can reads that DVDR, and you can edit, add features...,
    Make sure the DVD recorder can record in DVD+VR if you go that route,I have a BenQ 1640 and it cannot read DVD-VR.
    I recommend buying a camcorder with analog pass-through and transfer via firewire,they cost ~$300 but you can also use it for capturing those special moments and the quality is better(IMO) than capturecards.
    Quote Quote