VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,
    I have two different version of Virtuadub and I pulled some footage from a DVD. The problem I am having is that one version shows the video at 23.976 FPS and the other at 29.97.

I used video redo plus to demux it and it says the file information for the file is also 29.97.....

which am I to believe, I would hate to get all the way done and go to remaster to DVD and it be messed up because I edited in 29.97 when the footage was really 23.976. Anyone have any tips?

Thanks.

-vodmare.
    Quote Quote  
  2. have two different version of Virtuadub
    Which versions?
    I think one version honored pulldon flags, the other didn't.
    If you want correct info use GSpot or DGIndex.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know of any version that will parse the pulldown flag. Anyway, VirtualDub reports the displayed FPS.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hey thanks for getting back to me.

I used the GSPOT program and it says that the pics/s are 23.976 and the frames/s are 29.97.

I assume that using 29.97 across the board for the entire of the project shouldn't mess anything up when I go to re-author to DVD.

As for the versions:

Virtuadub: 1.617. which shows them at 29.97
    Virtuadub: 1.615. which shows them at 23.976.

Thanks again.

-vodmare.
    Quote Quote  
  5. With 23.976 fps MPEG2 files with pulldown flags VirtualDubMPG2 will honor pulldown flags by default (there is an option to disable it), report 29.97 fps, and displays interlaced frames in the usual 3:2 pattern. VirtualDubMod ignores pulldown flags, reports 23.976 fps, and displays progressive frames. VirtualDub doesn't open MPEG2 files.
    Quote Quote  
  6. So what would best in this case, to import, convert and edit making sure that everything stayed at 23.976? Or is letting it get converted to 29.97 okay? I mean, what I would like to do is keep everything looking as smooth as it was on the DVD, I.E. Progressive. If I convert to 29.97 FPS it then goes to interlaced correct? And wouldn't it then not look as smooth?

Can I render everything at the end of the project back to 23.976?

-vodmare.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Keep your video at 23.976 fps progressive.

Be aware though that a single VOB or MPG file can be a mix of 23.976 with pulldown and 29.97 fps interlaced. If you run into a file like that you'll find that audio and video get out of sync with pulldown flags ignored.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Cool man, thanks. I went back and fixed the flag option and the .vob files go into and out of VDUB and then into my editor with no problems. Before with the flags on and the file getting up converted or read at 29fps would make it unreadable by my editor. (Premiere)

Thanks again.

-vodmare.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hi guys, been awhile but I'm on another project and I need some help.

I use virtuadub mpeg2 1.6.19 to convert my .vob files to .avi's to edit them. Is there a way to convert them in virtuadub at 23.976 frames and keep the audio in sync?

Turning the flag option on and letting it read and convert at 29.97 produces perfect sync. But I need to convert at 23.976

Any ideas?

Thanks.

-vodmare.
    Quote Quote