VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have 23 old vhs video tapes full of various video clips of my family. The dates of the clips jump around, like there is a clip from 1986, then one from 1988, then one from 1987. I think my dad had more than one videocamera or just grabbed whatever tape was handy to record on. I would like to put all the clips in chronological order and then burn to them to dvds and give them to my sisters for Christmas.

I am using Showbiz DVD 2 program that can capture the video directly from my vcr to my hd in mpg format. Originally, I sat at the computer and watched the video and would start and stop the clips and save them as individual mpg files. Two problems with this. First since all the clips run together I end up not hitting stop at the right time and get part of the beginning of the next clip. I know I could edit this out but that leads me to my second issue. Doing it this way is VERY time consuming. Some of the clips are a few minutes long, some are 20 minutes long. I won't get it all done if I have to sit here and stop and start it all the time.

So then I thought I would just record the entire tape as one large mpg file and then split the clips. I can do that with no problem in Showbiz. So here is where I get stuck and need some help. I am able to split the clips within the one mpg and move them around or delete them but it doesn't save the split clips into individual mpg files. I have 23 vhs tapes that jump around so I really need to work with one tape at a time. Convert it to a large mpg file, split the clips and save the split clips by date as small individual mgp files. Once I get all the tapes done then I can sort all the mpg files, use Showbiz to author and burn them to dvds in chronological order.

What program will allow me to save these split clips as individual files to my hd? I would prefer a program that is freeware if possible.

Thanks for your help.

Oh, and if anyone has a better way to accomplish this project, please let me know!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MpegStreamClip........
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote