VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I cannot find a conversion tool for a relatively rare Real Media player file called RMVB.

The file will record and play from cd media in a dvd recorder.

Is there a conversion tool that is free ware for RMVB to .avi?

I have seen a number of unhelpful products but no click and go
    solution to this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    RMVB isn't rare, but it is difficult to get good conversions from it. SUPER is about the only free one that seems to work a reasonable amount of the time. MediaCoder might also do it - it is based on the same encoders as SUPER.

There are a number of commercial encoders, but I can't tell you what's good and what isn't as I have never found anything encoded with real that had enough quality to want to convert it.

If you go to the Tools page (menu on your left) you can search for tools by conversion type, so you can select Real to AVI and get a list of tools with ratings.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The RMVB format can be one of the more difficult ones to convert. Have you tried SUPER?

And this is a VCD/SVCD forum. Moving you to Newbie Conversion Forum.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You can use virtualdub+avisynth+realalternative to convert rmvb to avi. Other programs which also works but not free are
    WinAvi: it's fast and simple
    AVS videoconvertor: speed is average
    EO video: slow speed but I use this only to extract the audiostream
    Rmvb isn't popular in the west but it's very popular in China/Taiwan.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    WinAVI Video Converter will work but its for trial version.
    http://www.absolutevisionvideo.com

BLUE SKY, BLACK DEATH!!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Marvingj
    WinAVI Video Converter will work but its for trial version.
    It's apparently popular with Greg Palast fans.

Thanks for all the replies here.

Super seems the way to go for this and a recommendation came up for it
    on a previous post.

I had Virtual Dub going but then there was a machine crash and...

So is there a guide to using Super?

I'm as far as having gotten the download.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I wrote a a very basic guide a while back : https://www.videohelp.com/guides?howtoselect=4;43#942

But it is a pretty straight forward program to use. Drag your source into the appropriate filed, set an output container and codec for video and audio, and press the encode button.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes, it's all very easy until you try to do it-- without visible radio buttons.

Maybe it's just the latest build but no radio 'encode' buttons are viisble on the
    download I have... honest.

Over at AD there's a screen shot of what is supposed to be in the window
    and it's not there on my program.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/502944#3052931

I made the output container folder and highlighted that as well, but
    still nothing.

Is there an older build I can try?

What is the location?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To see the entire SUPER window, your desktop has to be at a resolution higher than 800x600, or so. Set it to at least 1024x768 and reboot (important).
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by loninappleton
    Yes, it's all very easy until you try to do it-- without visible radio buttons.

Maybe it's just the latest build but no radio 'encode' buttons are viisble on the
    download I have... honest.

Is there an older build I can try?

What is the location?

Quite often this isn't the version of their program you have, but that they are compiling or running with an older version of software. One of the main programs I use is missing radio buttons on XP, looks fine on one of my old laptops with 98. The author's code/compiler are set up for an older version of one of the control dlls, and likely giving wrong parameters to the newer dll on my system.

Not worth down grading your OS to get a few buttons back. If you can figure out the dll it's using, you may be able to get away with just running an old version of the dll. If so, try putting the old dll into the program's folder, many will use the dll from there before going to the system folder and still have the new DLL in the system folder for everything else.

Whatever the cause, it's very likely not the version of the program you're running. Won't hurt to try, but likely it's a mismatch with something else OS related but outside the program's files..

Of course this is assuming that it's not that you have the screen on low resolution, and they're simply off screen.

Alan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have run that version of SUPER under XP and Vista, and the buttons are there. But it does run top to bottom of a 1024 x 768 screen.

Win98 may well be the problem, and will only become more so over time as less and less software supports it.

Try mediaCoder instead. It uses many of the same backend tools as SUPER, but has a more traditional frontend.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by guns1inger
    I have run that version of SUPER under XP and Vista, and the buttons are there. But it does run top to bottom of a 1024 x 768 screen.

Win98 may well be the problem, and will only become more so over time as less and less software supports it.

Try mediaCoder instead. It uses many of the same backend tools as SUPER, but has a more traditional frontend.

Ok, to clarify: the OS here is Windows 2000pro SP4.

I tried raising the rez and still no buttons. Is Super backwards compatible with Win2kpro?

Is anybody here (or that you know) using Win2k with this program and what's the version number?

I'm not really sure I can mess with dlls with any success.
    What are the chances of this bug being fixed?

I'll check out the media coder as well.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by guns1inger

Ok, to clarify: the OS here is Windows 2000pro SP4.

I tried raising the rez and still no buttons. Is Super backwards compatible with Win2kpro?

Is anybody here (or that you know) using Win2k with this program and what's the version number?

I'm not really sure I can mess with dlls with any success.
    What are the chances of this bug being fixed?

I'll check out the media coder as well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Winavi has a plugin for this but winavi is a buggy piece of crap in my opinion. Your better of searching for a copy of the file you have in avi format.
    Quote Quote  
  15. The other buggy piece of crap is media coder... dll errors when loading I have no idea how
    to fix.

does anyone test this stuff first?

I know this free stuff but even free stuff should work once in a while.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have no major problems with either of these programs under XP or Vista. Both convert reasonably well. Personally, I'm starting to wonder about your machine.

On a side note, I got the OS from your computer specs. If they are wrong, it would help if they were changed. If they are right and you are working on a different computer, it would help if you told us that at the outset.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I am glad to respond to this to get problems solved.

Here is the system:

Machspeed X-caliber main board
    512k mem
    Pny Geforce Verto 5400
    Celeron D processor
    various mass storage

I cannot cope with monkeying with the registry and whatnot.

A lot of what I see centers around dll 32 or something.

The OS is Win2kpro. Perhaps there is a backward compatibility problem.
    This I cannot speak to.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Real7ime Converter is a freeware which can convert rmvb to avi fairly easily. It can use many video codecs, like xvid, Helix, etc. I have used Helix successfully. You will get Helix codec if you install Real Basic Producer.
    Quote Quote