VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I downloaded a video and burned it onto a cd. I figured this would work because other videos I burned to cd also worked in my dvd player. I'm running windows XP. I'm not really sure what format it is in because when I check the file properties for my D drive in windows explorer it says avi and when I check file properties when I open DivX player 6.2 it says XVID Video. I actually burned 2 disks, one using the standard windows explorer interface and the other using the DivX players built in burner. It plays on my computer. I have a 1 year old cheapo dvd player. Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does your DVD player play the Divx/Xvid format?
    Quote Quote  
  3. As has already been asked, does your DVD player support DivX files? I own a JVC player that does. There have been instances where a DVD that was given to me with Xvid files on it would not play on my DVD player, however. In the end it came down to the audio. I can view Xvid files on my DivX certified player but if it's an Xvid file with AC3 audio then it will not play correctly and essentially be unviewable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you told us what DVD player you have, and load the trouble AVI in GSpot and post a screen shot of it here, maybe someone can be of more assistance than merely guessing...

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have a Magnasonic dvd/cd/mp3/wma player Model dvd802-2 B made in may 2004. If this file won't play on my dvd player what should I convert it to so it can?[/img]

Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by dvdnewbie64
    I have a Magnasonic dvd/cd/mp3/wma player Model dvd802-2 B made in may 2004. If this file won't play on my dvd player what should I convert it to so it can?
    Your DVD player is incapabale of playing DivX/Xvid files. A program like VSO ConvertXToDVD (shareware) or DVD Flick (open source) would be useful for converting the file[s] and creating a standard DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm using a cd. I didn't think it was possible to use the DVD standard with cd's.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dvdnewbie64
    I'm using a cd. I didn't think it was possible to use the DVD standard with cd's.
    IF you convert the file with one of the listed programs, it will be DVD files and too big to fit on a CD, you will need to burn to DVD, i have some +RW that is use over & over for TV shows i wish to watch but not keep permanet copies of
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by dvdnewbie64
    I'm using a cd. I didn't think it was possible to use the DVD standard with cd's.
    Sorry, I should have clarified my answer better. As theewizard said using a DVD+RW would allow you to re-use the disc. I initially would have suggested using a program to convert the file to VCD or SVCD but I can't find any info on the specs of the DVD player and since you didn't list it I assumed it cannot play such discs burned to a CD. This leaves you with the option of converting it and burning as a standard DVD. If you can, in fact, play VCD/SVCD then there is your solution but it'll still require converting the file.
    Quote Quote  
  10. What format will work on a CD?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by dvdnewbie64
    What format will work on a CD?
    VCD (MPEG-1) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VCD
    SVCD (MPEG-2) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SVCD

These are video formats for storing movies on CDs. However, your DVD player must support the formats for it to work. Not all older players support one or both. Check your manual.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Sorry for that last post, I missed your reply. Thanks for helping me out. I think I'll just get a DVD burner. By the way this is a great site, very helpful. 8)
    Quote Quote