VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is it particularly bad for my PC, monitor, and modem if I unplug them all after I shut off my computer?
    I hear that today's electronics eat a lot of electricity even when they are turned off. Can I get a confirmation?
    (I can testify that my Playstation 2 has the red light of doom whenever I shut it off. It's like it's saying "when are you going to get all the gold metals? And then buy the sequel to that game?")
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    i have my computer stuff all on one supply, and I just flick it off when its not in use.... any equipment on standby can use up power, there is also the school of thought that suggests all electrical equipment where possible, should be disconnected from the power supply at night for safety/fire reasons let alone the wasted energy. I even wired a switch in to my digi box power cable because it doesnt have a proper power off button, only a standby button and i refuse to leave stuff on standby.

http://www.paperstone.co.uk/News/2006/Offices_roasted_for_electrical_waste

http://www.domia.eu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=83&Itemid=88

quoted and pasted from domia.eu

Q: Do you have any figures relating to savings that can be made by turning off a computer rather than leaving it on standby?

A: According to the Carbon Trust, a typical PC (including monitor) left on for 24 hours each day can use £45 or more of energy per year. Turned off at night and weekends and by adopting energy management techniques, the same units will only use around £10 of energy per year.*

Q: How much energy can be saved by switching off appliances rather than leaving them on standby?

A: In standby mode some appliances can still use as much as 25 per cent of the energy they do when they are switched on. Switching all appliances off when not in use can save you £37 a year and help reduce carbon dioxide emissions. Research by the government-backed Energy-Saving Trust shows 62 million television sets used 8 per cent of their total average daily energy consumption while they were in standby mode. The average television set is left on standby for more than 17 hours a day while most set-top boxes and video recorders are never turned off.

Q: Which appliances are the main Standby offenders?

Dishwashers left "on" at the end of their cycle consume 70 per cent of the power used when they are running.
    The average television is left on standby for up to 17.5 hours a day. Last year Britain's 62 million television sets consumed about 8 per cent of their energy consumption in standby mode.
    Washing machines use just under 20 per cent of their normal electricity requirement on standby.
    Tumble-dryers can use 38 per cent of power while waiting at the end of a cycle.
    If lights were turned off when not in use it would prevent 375,000 tons of CO2 emissions and save £55m in bills.
    There is little difference between the power requirement of digital receivers when they are on and on standby.
    Experts say the total power used while an appliance is on standby can equal the electricity used during the time it is on.
    Other appliances with high standby power use are cordless telephones, radios and stereos
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    one suggestion:
    when plugging your computer back in, don't immediately turn it on. A few seconds is all it needs to charge up its capacitors, etc in the functions that are involved in the 'Always On' circuits.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You really should just use a power strip and flip it on or off rather than yanking plugs out to keep from wearing out how well they stay plugged in... also, if you do continue to yank out the cords, be sure you are yanking them where it matters -- i.e. at the wall, so as to be sure you aren't leaving a power brick plugged in, but just not attached to a device.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Will turning the switch off my power strip mean it no longer offers protection from surges? There are two lights on it, one for ground and one for surge that light up whenever it's plugged in and the switch is turned on.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    surges can only happen when the powerstrip is turned on
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So is this about the possibly $100 per year you could save if you turn off all of your electronic appliances or something else?
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you unplug your TV and cable box or radio? they are eating electricity too. So is most other electronic equipment. Most electronic stuff have built in tranformers that are always using some electricity even when they are switched off. I agree with the use of a power strip for switching off then pulling plugs.
    Quote Quote  
  9. If nothing else then, do this:
    (1) turn off all equipment (as much as possible)
    (2) turn off the power strip
    (3) unplug the power strip from the wall outlet

There's no need then to unplug every item from the strip if the strip isn't even plugged in.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Use a power strip as others have suggested. That will keep you from having to replace the power outlet.

Turning off the power strip will protect from surges getting into and frying power supplies. That is the only reason I turn mine off with a cheap power strip plugged into a UPS. Double protection.The amount of power consumed in standby by the computer is minimal. If curious get yourself a AC ampmeter.

Other devices can vary. Do you really want to have to reset the clock on your VCR and have to plug in a TV and then use the remote to turn it on? My Microwave has a clock that I use for a kitchen clock so yes it is consuming electricity. My tivo is always on unless I unplug it and wait for a few minutes for it to boot up again. My Dishnetwork DVRs are always on even in standby, they download guide data while turned off and data I've seen suggests that on or remote control powered off they draw the same.

Curious what something draws many home electronics have a on and standby power draw tag.
    Quote Quote