VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey, I'm trying to back up one of my DVDs with DVD Decrypter. I'm ripping it in ISO Read mode, so I can get the MDS file with it. But after running for a little while, I get this message (or something similar, I took this from a different website because I cancelled mine out):

I/O Error!

Device: [1:0:0] MAD DOG MD-16DVD9A2 1.F3 (D (ATA)

ScsiStatus: 0x02
    Interpretation: Check Condition

CDB: 28 00 00 18 74 23 00 00 01 00
    Interpretation: Read (10) - Sector: 1602595

Sense Area: F0 00 03 00 18 74 23 0A 00 00 00 00 11 00 00 00 00 00
    Interpretation: Unrecovered Read Error

Abort Retry Cancel

This is the first time I have had trouble with DVD Decrypter 3.5.4. The disc is brand new and has absolutely no scratches. What should I do to back this up to my hard drive with the MDS file also? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does DVDFab Decrypter create a MDS file that indicates where the layer break is? Because I'm gonna be burning to Double Layer DVD+R, so I need that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just rip the files to your hard drive first by using DVDFAB DECRYPTER. Then use IMGBURN to burn your dual layer dvd+r media.

http://www.imgburn.com/
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz
    Just rip the files to your hard drive first by using DVDFAB DECRYPTER. Then use IMGBURN to burn your dual layer dvd+r media.

I need the MDS to tell where the layer break is, that's why I used DVD Decrypter in the first place.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hiimbored
    Originally Posted by budz

I need the MDS to tell where the layer break is, that's why I used DVD Decrypter in the first place.
    DVD DECRYPTER is no longer updated anymore which is why I suggested you use DVDFAB DECRYPTER then to burn your dual layer w/IMGBURN. IMGBURN was created by LightningUK who also created DVD DECRYPTER. Take a look at the IMGBURN forum and hopefully you'll learn a little from there. :P
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    I think if you look under Guides for PGCedit, you will find one detailing procedures for determining and placing the layer break. I followed this once or twice. I did not really understand much of the technical stuff being discussed, but could follow the steps, and it worked.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    1) Rip with DVDFabDecrypter because your problem is most likely a type of copy protection that DVD Decrypter doesn't understand. Development on DVD Decrypter was stopped quite some time ago because of legal threats.
    2) Read
    http://www.digital-digest.com/~blutach/pgcedit_guide/burning_with_pgcedit/burning_with...pgcedit_v2.htm
    and use PgcEdit to create your ISO file. You'll pick the break point yourself from some choices while PgcEdit is about to create the ISO file.
    3) Burn with ImgBurn.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So there is no other way to rip the ISO and get the MDS with it? I really do not want to choose where the layer break goes myself, I would like it to be where it was in the original DVD. There is not a different program that can help me do this?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I would imagine if you used Ripit4me in the wizrad mode and not the 1-click mode you can change the output from files to ISO when DVD Decrypter came up....

And it's not hard to use the PgcEdit way to set layer breaks as i do it all the time that way when i author DL dvd+r's.

There are some people that use stuff like anydvd running in the background for such task's, although i've nvere used it, but have tried DVDidle Pro, made by the creators of DVDFab Decrypter, which i prefer to support great guy's who give you free tool's for cracking new protections rather than those who just sell you their products.

They also have DVDFab Platinum which i believe will rip to an ISO, but i'm not sure about the control file as i've never used it to rip to an ISO.

A little effort goes a long way
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck
    I would imagine if you used Ripit4me in the wizrad mode and not the 1-click mode you can change the output from files to ISO when DVD Decrypter came up....

And it's not hard to use the PgcEdit way to set layer breaks as i do it all the time that way when i author DL dvd+r's.

There are some people that use stuff like anydvd running in the background for such task's, although i've nvere used it, but have tried DVDidle Pro, made by the creators of DVDFab Decrypter, which i prefer to support great guy's who give you free tool's for cracking new protections rather than those who just sell you their products.

They also have DVDFab Platinum which i believe will rip to an ISO, but i'm not sure about the control file as i've never used it to rip to an ISO.

A little effort goes a long way
    Yea I already tried Ripit4me and running AnyDVD in the background. Ripit4me made my computer crash because of ceekey.exe on my computer and AnyDVD didn't help when using DVD Decrypter.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Umm... you should not even have to run anydvd with Ripit4me

Ripit4me should take care of any protection on the disc.

I've never used anydvd because i have seen many post's about it messing up stuff, not working, ect. although i know a lot of people use it and recommend it...

I'd shut down anydvd and try Ripit4me alone and if there is still problem make sure you have the last version and maybe try a reinstall of it.

Man... i could have been done with it and reburned by now using Pgcedit to set the LB
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't run Ripit4me with AnyDVD in the background, I ran DVD Decryper with AnyDVD in the background. I ran Ripit4me by itself and it has some problem with ceekey.exe on my computer, so it makes my computer crash.

Seeker47 - is this the guide you're talking about? http://www.digital-digest.com/~blutach/dl_burn_guide2/dl_burning_with_pgcedit_v2.htm
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hiimbored,

If DvdDecrypter couldn't do it on it's own, the original disk must have any one of the many new copy protection methods. As Noahtuck suggests, you can use RipIt4Me to still get the ISO-MDS pair that you want ("One-Click" mode is the easiest way to do that), but there is no way for FixVTS to clean up the rip if everything has been tucked away in an ISO. That means your backup will likely contain a damaged dvd-video structure.

ISO-MDS is a holdover from kinder, gentler times. Currently, if you want to have a backup that is structurally correct, you need to not use an ISO, and let FixVTS do its' magic. Afterwards, just burn the resulting file structure using ImgBurn in "Build" mode, and bypass the whole ISO step. ImgBurn also ensures 32k gaps, and includes layer break selection/preview functions that are functionally the same as PgcEdit.

If you're not removing the previews, etc., the original layer break should still be available in ImgBurn. Just look for the "green star".

You should not be running AnyDvd in the background when you use RipIt4Me. It will interfere with the process RipIt4Me is using. Just use RipIt4Me on its' own.

ceEKey.exe is part of Toshiba's "E-Key Technology" (HotKey utility). If it won't let RipIt4Me run, disable it while you're ripping.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by VegasBud
    hiimbored,

If DvdDecrypter couldn't do it on it's own, the original disk must have any one of the many new copy protection methods. As Noahtuck suggests, you can use RipIt4Me to still get the ISO-MDS pair that you want ("One-Click" mode is the easiest way to do that), but there is no way for FixVTS to clean up the rip if everything has been tucked away in an ISO. That means your backup will likely contain a damaged dvd-video structure.

ISO-MDS is a holdover from kinder, gentler times. Currently, if you want to have a backup that is structurally correct, you need to not use an ISO, and let FixVTS do its' magic. Afterwards, just burn the resulting file structure using ImgBurn in "Build" mode, and bypass the whole ISO step. ImgBurn also ensures 32k gaps, and includes layer break selection/preview functions that are functionally the same as PgcEdit.

If you're not removing the previews, etc., the original layer break should still be available in ImgBurn. Just look for the "green star".

You should not be running AnyDvd in the background when you use RipIt4Me. It will interfere with the process RipIt4Me is using. Just use RipIt4Me on its' own.

ceEKey.exe is part of Toshiba's "E-Key Technology" (HotKey utility). If it won't let RipIt4Me run, disable it while you're ripping.
    So you're saying that all the times I used an ISO to back up my DVDs, I got a damaged DVD structure? I'm kind of confused about what you said with FixVTS, I had never heard of that before. I'll look into all of it, but I'm sure I'll have more questions. Thanks for your help, very informative post!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hiimbored,

If DvdDecrypter is all you've been using up until now, then your previous backups are fine. It's only some of the newer protection methods (designed specifically to defeat DvdDecrypter) that mess up the dvd-video structure when the original is ripped.

FixVTS functionality was built right into the last few versions of RipIt4Me. If you are using one of those versions, the structure will be repaired automatically as part of the ripping process. You don't have to learn how it works to get the benefit. Just let RipIt4Me take care of it for you.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hiimbored,

If DvdDecrypter is all you've been using up until now, then your previous backups are fine. It's only some of the newer protection methods (designed specifically to defeat DvdDecrypter) that mess up the dvd-video structure when the original is ripped.

FixVTS functionality was built right into the last few versions of RipIt4Me. If you are using one of those versions, the structure will be repaired automatically as part of the ripping process. You don't have to learn how it works to get the benefit. Just let RipIt4Me take care of it for you.
    Ok, I just used Ripit4me, and it looks like it worked. The only thing I'm curious about is the "Inserting Dummy Sectors" part, what does that mean? Here's the log:

I 16:07:03 DVD Decrypter Version 3.5.4.0 started!
    I 16:07:03 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)
    I 16:07:03 Initialising SPTI...
    I 16:07:03 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
    I 16:07:03 Found 1 DVD-RAM/±RW!
    W 16:07:06 Protected Sectors List Imported Successfully!
    W 16:07:06 46 areas have been marked as 'suspect'.
    W 16:07:06 Dummy sectors will be inserted where necessary.
    I 16:07:30 Operation Started!
    I 16:07:30 Source Device: [1:0:0] MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-841S 1.50 (D (ATA)
    I 16:07:30 Source Media Type: DVD-ROM
    I 16:07:31 Source Media Region Code: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8
    I 16:07:31 Source Media Copyright Protection System Type: CSS/CPPM
    I 16:07:31 Source Media Implementation Identifier: Apple Computer, Inc.
    I 16:07:31 Destination File: *****
    I 16:07:31 File Splitting: Auto
    I 16:07:31 Remove Structure Protection: No
    I 16:07:31 Bad Sector Removal Method: Normal
    I 16:07:31 Detect Mastering Errors: No
    I 16:07:31 Remove Macrovision Protection: Yes
    I 16:07:31 Extracting Sectors... (LBA: 0 - 3855839)
    I 16:07:31 Found IFO File: VIDEO_TS.IFO - (LBA: 311 - 320)
    I 16:07:31 Found VOB File: VIDEO_TS.VOB - (LBA: 321 - 377) - KEY: N/A
    I 16:07:32 Found BUP File: VIDEO_TS.BUP - (LBA: 378 - 387)
    I 16:07:32 Found IFO File: VTS_01_0.IFO - (LBA: 388 - 396)
    I 16:07:32 Found VOB File: VTS_01_0.VOB - (LBA: 397 - 453) - KEY: CA 36 1B 5C 5F
    I 16:07:32 Found VOB File: VTS_01_1.VOB - (LBA: 454 - 687) - KEY: CA 36 1B 5C 5F
    I 16:07:32 Found BUP File: VTS_01_0.BUP - (LBA: 688 - 696)
    I 16:07:32 Found IFO File: VTS_02_0.IFO - (LBA: 697 - 705)
    I 16:07:32 Found VOB File: VTS_02_0.VOB - (LBA: 706 - 762) - KEY: CB 4F 73 55 E4
    I 16:07:32 Found VOB File: VTS_02_1.VOB - (LBA: 763 - 6342) - KEY: CB 4F 73 55 E4
    I 16:07:37 Found BUP File: VTS_02_0.BUP - (LBA: 6343 - 6351)
    I 16:07:37 Found IFO File: VTS_03_0.IFO - (LBA: 6352 - 6360)
    I 16:07:37 Found VOB File: VTS_03_0.VOB - (LBA: 6361 - 6417) - KEY: D6 51 27 4A 66
    I 16:07:37 Found VOB File: VTS_03_1.VOB - (LBA: 6418 - 55198) - KEY: D6 51 27 4A 66
    I 16:08:18 Found BUP File: VTS_03_0.BUP - (LBA: 55199 - 55207)
    I 16:08:18 Found IFO File: VTS_04_0.IFO - (LBA: 55208 - 55257)
    I 16:08:18 Found VOB File: VTS_04_0.VOB - (LBA: 55258 - 125155) - KEY: CD EF 31 E1 65
    I 16:09:14 Found VOB File: VTS_04_1.VOB - (LBA: 125156 - 649357) - KEY: CD EF 31 E1 65
    I 16:14:48 Found VOB File: VTS_04_2.VOB - (LBA: 649358 - 1173559) - KEY: CD EF 31 E1 65
    I 16:19:07 Found VOB File: VTS_04_3.VOB - (LBA: 1173560 - 1697761) - KEY: CD EF 31 E1 65
    I 16:22:45 Found VOB File: VTS_04_4.VOB - (LBA: 1697762 - 2221963) - KEY: CD EF 31 E1 65
    I 16:26:02 Found VOB File: VTS_04_5.VOB - (LBA: 2221964 - 2746165) - KEY: CD EF 31 E1 65
    I 16:29:35 Found VOB File: VTS_04_6.VOB - (LBA: 2746166 - 3240104) - KEY: CD EF 31 E1 65
    W 16:33:08 Inserting Dummy Sectors... (LBA: 3190384 - 3240104)
    I 16:33:14 Extracting Sectors...
    I 16:33:14 Found BUP File: VTS_04_0.BUP - (LBA: 3240105 - 3240154)
    I 16:33:14 Found IFO File: VTS_05_0.IFO - (LBA: 3240155 - 3240173)
    I 16:33:14 Found VOB File: VTS_05_0.VOB - (LBA: 3240174 - 3270382) - KEY: D5 17 7F D9 45
    I 16:33:39 Found VOB File: VTS_05_1.VOB - (LBA: 3270383 - 3794584) - KEY: D5 17 7F D9 45
    I 16:42:04 Found VOB File: VTS_05_2.VOB - (LBA: 3794585 - 3855069) - KEY: D5 17 7F D9 45
    I 16:43:14 Found BUP File: VTS_05_0.BUP - (LBA: 3855070 - 3855088)
    I 16:43:15 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:35:44
    I 16:43:15 Average Read Rate: 3,596 KB/s (2.6x) - Maximum Read Rate: 11,312 KB/s (8.2x)
    I 16:43:15 Close Request Acknowledged
    I 16:43:15 Closing Down...
    I 16:43:15 Shutting down SPTI...
    I 16:43:15 DVD Decrypter closed!

See the part "W 16:33:08 Inserting Dummy Sectors... (LBA: 3190384 - 3240104)
    I 16:33:14 Extracting Sectors..." What does that mean? Should I burn it with IMGBurn now or is something wrong with it? Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, I just was looking through the DVD with VLC Media Player and the whole DVD didn't even get copied. The movie cuts off a couple minutes before it even ends. I'm just getting frustrated because of my lack of knowledge about this and all the different explanations I am getting for burning this. What I want to know is, how can I burn this so the layer break is in the original spot and it does not make the movie skip at the layer break? Should I use Pgcedit, fixvts, imgburn, or what? Sorry, I am just getting really confused.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hiimbored,

Breath slowly and deeply. The copy protection on the original dvd is supposed to make it hard to make a backup.

All you need to burn the ripped file structure to a disk is ImgBurn and this guide. Take your time and follow the guide step by step. It may seem hard, since this is your first time, but it really is a simple process. When you get to the layer break selection part, the original layer break should be listed, probably with a green star next to it. That's the one you want.

I'm not sure why the end of the movie is missing, having never encountered that. I'll do some research on that. It would be best to address that problem before burning, since the backup would likely also be missing the end of the movie, but it's up to you how you want to proceed.

Whichever way you want to go first, just take things one step at a time.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hiimbored,

Breath slowly and deeply. The copy protection on the original dvd is supposed to make it hard to make a backup.

All you need to burn the ripped file structure to a disk is ImgBurn and this guide. Take your time and follow the guide step by step. It may seem hard, since this is your first time, but it really is a simple process. When you get to the layer break selection part, the original layer break should be listed, probably with a green star next to it. That's the one you want.

I'm not sure why the end of the movie is missing, having never encountered that. I'll do some research on that. It would be best to address that problem before burning, since the backup would likely also be missing the end of the movie, but it's up to you how you want to proceed.

Whichever way you want to go first, just take things one step at a time.
    Well I just ripped the files with DVDFab, then went to the guide you suggested. But when I got to the part where you select the layer break, there was no green star, in fact there was only 2 options and both of them were white stars (which apparently is bad). Also, after ripping the files with DVDFab, the part where the movie cut off on the original DVD and on the ISO I got from Ripit4me, was just a very choppy and screwed up 5 seconds or so of video then it goes back to normal. However, when I play the original DVD on my standalone DVD player, it works fine, but I just hear my DVD player working harder and getting louder. Any other suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I just ripped the files with DVDFab, then went to the guide you suggested. But when I got to the part where you select the layer break, there was no green star, in fact there was only 2 options and both of them were white stars (which apparently is bad). Also, after ripping the files with DVDFab, the part where the movie cut off on the original DVD and on the ISO I got from Ripit4me, was just a very choppy and screwed up 5 seconds or so of video then it goes back to normal. However, when I play the original DVD on my standalone DVD player, it works fine, but I just hear my DVD player working harder and getting louder. Any other suggestions?
    Have you considered just backing up that movie on a single layer dvd media? You can use DVD REBUILDER which has excellent video quality because it uses a video encoder. They have a free version to use. If you don't have any video encoder software like mainconcept or cinema craft encoder DVD REBUILDER has built in video encoders. The faster the cpu the quicker the encoding will be done. I use DVD REBUILDER PRO to backup most of my dvd movie collection.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yea, I have considered just backing it up to single layer, but I would still have the same problems. The files would still be screwed up, wouldn't they? I use DVD-RB with CCE.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yea, I have considered just backing it up to single layer, but I would still have the same problems. The files would still be screwed up, wouldn't they? I use DVD-RB with CCE.
    Try ripping the disc again with DVDFAB DECRYPTER and make sure you have the latest version. Do not have ANYDVD running in the background. After the files have been ripped open up DVD SHRINK to preview the files. If they're okay then you can go ahead and use DVD REBUILDER.

Or you could try ripping the disc in another computer or drive as the last resort.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, that's the one. The color-coding thing makes it accessible and pretty straightforward, even if you don't understand the what and the why behind the procedures.

Side comment: I had thought that the 'Read ISO / Write ISO' method with DVDD should be able to replicate the whole sorry mess -- deliberately introduced structural errors, LB, and all. Or are there some protection methods now in use that just take DVDD out of the game, for any sort of use ?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hiimbored,

I have a couple observations after reading this:
    ...the part where the movie cut off on the original DVD and on the ISO I got from Ripit4me...
    If the end of the movie is missing on the original, did you check for scratches or debris on the original disk before ripping? Also, is the end missing on the original when it's played on a player, in the computer, or both?

If RipIt4Me gave you an ISO, then the "FixVTS-like-component" never got a chance to clean things up (as I mentioned earlier). You would be better off (with severe protection methods) by taking advantage of the full process available in RipIt4Me, which means not using ISO output.

If you feed an ISO into ImgBurn, you're limiting the layer break choices, and preventing ImgBurn from ensuring 32k gaps. If you use ImgBurn's "Build" mode with the dvd's AUDIO_TS - VIDEO_TS structure, padding can be added to ensure 32k gaps, and potentially produce better and/or more layer break choices.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Seeker47,

They (the bad people) figured out how to muck up DvdDecrypter (on its' own) quite a while back.

DvdDecrypter, when used from within RipIt4Me, is still functional, and will continue to be until the bad people analyze the source code for RitIt4Me (which we must assume they now have), and come up with a new protection method engineered specifically to screw up RipIt4Me. Even then, it's likely that DvdDecrypter will live on, using some new program to pre-process before the rip.

I can't really remember at what point in the "protection war" escalation that the use of FixVTS, or its' internal equivalent, came into the picture to repair damage after the ripping phase finished. I do remember being surprised at posts on the RipIt4Me forum by people who were still using the ISO output from RipIt4Me on dvds I wouldn't have thought would work that way. I guess it comes down to how much tolerance a given player has for deviation from the specifications.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They (the bad people) figured out how to muck up DvdDecrypter (on its' own) quite a while back.
    And that includes the ISO READ / ISO WRITE method, which for a rather long time was capable of scooping up all the flaws, errors, etc. and still recreating them, as is, 1:1 ?

With these reports of DVDFab not working on some current titles (and it must be using Fab Decrypter), the tide may be turning . . . in the wrong direction.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    This thread appears to be software related. Moving to DVD to DVDR / HDDVD & Blu-ray Backup Forum.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Just to summarize: There have been a couple of methods already suggested that should do the job for you.

DVDFabDecrypter -> Open rip in DVDShrink to verify the structure, No error message and you're good to go. Otherwise, run FixVTS and verify again.

RipIt4Me. Let it cleanup the VOBs and output to folder. Default settings should be okay.

Setting the layer break with PgcEdit will certainly work, but ImgBurn will do it automatically, so why not do it the easy way?

A couple side notes: I recently tested a Sony/Columbia release that pushed ARccOS to the limit (one of the infamous titles that some set-tops have trouble even playing). 99 titlesets, couldn't rip in ISO mode, couldn't create a PSL. Nevertheless, RipIt4Me and DVDFabDecrypter worked no problem. I found a workaround for the hell of it using an old version of DVDShrink, and Abond suggested an alternate method with DVDDecrypter in IFO mode. This entails identifying bad cells/chapters in the main movie and deselecting them before ripping.

I forget when FixVTS replaced VobBlanker as the tool of choice for performing a "cleanup". The first really nasty ARccOS disc I remember was "The Forgotten", crummy movie BTW. IIRC, the PSL2 plugin was released subsequently, and perhaps FixVTS around that time as well.

So long as you're using latest versions, it would be surprising if RipIt4Me and/or DVDFabDecrypter couldn't produce a clean rip.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the help guys, but I have just about given up on this. I tried Ripit4me in ISO mode (will try in "full dvd" mode in a little bit) and I tried DVDFab and the VTS_04_6.VOB file was still screwed up. I now am having a problem with burning DVDs. I don't know if it is from me trying to rip this DVD so many times (or if that is even possible), but now when trying to burn DL DVD+Rs in ImgBurn, I get this message: "Waiting for buffers to recover..." and then "Waiting for hard disk activity to reach threshold level..." Does anybody know what this means, how it happened, or what I can do to fix it? It seems like I always have more questions, lol. Thanks.
    Quote Quote