VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Have you upgraded to WIFI N yet?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    So does anybody have a wifi n network yet? I was looking at them earlier in the year but it would cost 200 to do an upgrade - 100 for the router and 100 for the usb adapter on the other computer. The data rate transmission speed looks excellent - what is it at about 300 mbps??

I currently have wifi G at 54mbs max. I like it a lot for my laptop and my new hp vista pc. However anything approaching a gig and higher takes a long time to wifi. Of course I can always burn a disc in a lot less time.

Does anybody use those powerline networks? I think I read they have a max transfer of 200mbps? How well does that work?

Or are you still running wired only? Speak up
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I am still using an old B but I'm going to trash it now that WEP can be cracked in under a minute. Have they standardized N yet? Or are they still all proprietary schemes? I'll probably just go with G when I get around to buying.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have gigabit LAN at home and 10/100 at work, all wired. Even my laptop isn't WI-FI. I don't mind stringing a few cables.
    Quote Quote  
  4. No. I'll be sticking with "G 54". 99.9% of my home network traffic is from the internet, so I really don't need it to be any faster. If really need to move large amounts of data from one computer to another at home, I either copy it to an external drive or set up a temporary IEEE-1394 network.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have my PCs on a gigabit subnet, hardwired to wireless 54g108 router.

I don't use the wireless much - other than a Tivo and a PDA.

I'll likely upgrade to N - once it becomes standard and not the "pre-N" it is now.

Then, HDTV will become interesting for me throughout my household.
    Whatever doesn't kill me, merely ticks me off. (Never again a Sony consumer.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    No. I'll be sticking with "G 54". 99.9% of my home network traffic is from the internet, so I really don't need it to be any faster.
    My thoughts exactly. No need for a faster LAN than WAN, as we don't sent much data around locally, and when we do, some removable mass storage device will do nicely.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  7. I use a Wired Network at 10 mbps with good old 3com Etherlink III cards.

Wifi is pure crap because it prevent wireless video transmitter to work. Damn neighborhood
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    wireless is not for me
    yet
    at this point the technology's development, I'm thoroughly umimpressed.
    When it's a fast as a wired network and has some more security, I'll look at it.
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
  9. Verizon just install the fIOS for me last month, the install guys said there is only 1 of the last 150 customer uses wireless-N on a Cisco router.
    Quote Quote  
  10. deleted
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use SneakerNet.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I use a Symbol CF card (802.11b) with my dell 8100 old laptop.11b is more than enough for surfing the net
    Quote Quote  
  13. I have to agree that wi-fi 11b is good enough. My office laptop only has a 11b, and it is just fine all the time. I only have to wire it to 100 base-T, once or twice a year, to transfer large folder.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    At home 54G wifi for laptops and print server. Gigabit for Desktop. I also use Gigabit with the laptop for large file transfer.

10/100 wired at work.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Soul sucking suburbia! But a different part since I last logged on.
    Search Comp PM
    N?
    I can't even get 54G working properly. Linksys junk... "from Cisco Labs" my arse, if this is the quality of product, then is it worth my while even considering CCNA once i've got A+ and N+ out of the way?

Still on 11B, solid (ish) and true.
    don't do much inter-PC file swapping (that's what USB drives are for!) and the interweb hookup to the house is about 3-4mbit, so it doesn't need to be any quicker to be honest. Really don't know what I'd use an N connection for. Even if I got my (six months old and never worked properly) NAS external drive box working properly, pretty much anything I'd stream to/from it would be far more than happy with a 5-6mbit transfer rate. Ditto the network connection into my all-in-one printing thing; USB 1.1 (12Mbit) with the old desktop PC already far outstripped it's (high) max printing and scanning speeds...

Also I live on a quiet suburban street, and know all my neighbours - those that are within the very meagre range of my router (and much better range of my laptop) either seemingly don't have wireless, or have their own default-settings router indicating they probably don't delve into wardriving much. If anyone was on the prowl for free interwebs from their car, they'd be making themselves conspicuous parked right outside my house for extended periods, or more likely on the driveway (in both cases the ground resonance would mean we'd know someone was there - odd house it is), waving the laptop about trying to get a reliable signal. And I don't have shared folders, my bank details on the PC, or really anything worth stealing, and could care less if someone's using my ISP in the idle times when I'm at work... it's an uncapped connection, and I can prove where I was at the time if they do something dodgy.

So I don't really bother even with WEP, let alone WPA. Though the MAC filter on the router IS active (assigned to pass the two laptops, one desktop, one XBox and one DS that regularly use it and none else) and it's login password is changed. I reckon that's good enough
    -= She sez there's ants in the carpet, dirty little monsters! =-
    Back after a long time away, mainly because I now need to start making up vidcapped DVDRs for work and I haven't a clue where to start any more!
    Quote Quote