VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have seen few VCDs that is being burn in a single CD that is of 120 minutes or more even though CDs dont allow more than 80 minutes!

How do I burn a movie which is about 120 minutes or more in a VCD format (.dat)? i searched but couldn't find anywhere! thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Possible ways to do this:
    Use a bit rate lower than the normal constant bit rate of 1150 Kbps. Lower bit rate = smaller video size
    Use 90 or 99 minute CD-Rs, if you can find them. These will allow you to burn more data to a CD-R.
    Use the very ugly KVCD format which uses various things, such as lower bit rates and non-standard GOP sizes, to squeeze more time onto a CD-R.
    Do understand that the more video you squeeze onto a single CD-R, the worse the quality will be.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And keep in mind that anything that deviates from the VCD standard (see "What is VCD" on the left) will not actually be a VCD, but an XVCD, and might not be playable in all set-top DVD players.
    "Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgment."
    Zefram Cochrane
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hackerzlab
    I have seen few VCDs that is being burn in a single CD that is of 120 minutes or more even though CDs dont allow more than 80 minutes!

How do I burn a movie which is about 120 minutes or more in a VCD format (.dat)? i searched but couldn't find anywhere! thank you.
    You can increase the playback time of a VCD considerably by using variable bitrate instead of contant bitrate but I think what you've seen are actually DivX or XviD discs which uses a different system altogether.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    To summarize:

2 possible setups...

#1-XVCD, using Lower bitrate, VBR, Longer(and OPEN)GOPlength, Modified Q-tables (like KVCD), possibly smaller framesizes/framerates, burned as Mode2 on possibly 90/99min CDs with Overburning also.

#2-DivX/Xvid/MP4/AVC with low enough bitrate (A+V), VBR, burned onto either standard CD-R or like above alternate CD burning strategies. Could, but probably shouldn't have to modify GOP, Q-Tables, framesize/framerate (as they're much better at compressing).

Or...

Just get a DVD burner and avoid all the hassle!

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. those replies were really not something i was expecting. but thanx anyways.

i downloaded some few movies and they come in iso and cue formats and they happen to be in VCD format and over 120 minutes long. i burn them in 80 minutes CD without any problems and so was wondering how they made those iso and cue files?

thanx anyways
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The ISO files are simply disc images. To make one you just create a CD, then use something like imgburn or even Nero to create the ISO or BIN/CUE files.

The content of the VCD itself is done using non-standard, probably non-compliant, encoding methods, as described above - the XVCD.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. but as we burn the iso file, its in vcd format andf the movies are usualy of 2 hours long!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's NOT VCD-compliant as people have been stating above. It's most likely XVCD which uses VBR encoding on the mpeg video to put more than 80 minutes on an 80 min CDR. You're probably just lucky and your player can play these non-compliant VCDs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.kvcd.net/portal/index.php

It's just for this. You'll have to encode it in TMPGEncPlus using custom MPEG matrices they offer for download.
    Quote Quote  
  11. You can also try burning in mpeg2 320x288 variable bitrate, 128k sound, which is non standard but can look quite nice. Will play on most dvd players, all computers with dvd playing software.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  12. i'm gonna play it on vcd. thats the trouble.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you have video cd player ? NOT a dvd player ?

i'm not familar with what is sold in India..

i'll give you an analogy

have you ever seen, a tiny little pocket dictionary or other book, with tiny little print ? some people have eyes good enough to read them some don't, but the publisher crammed all that 'data' into tiny little print

same IDEA for your video CD

when you burn the ISO, you are simpily making a hard copy of the work somebody ELSE already did

and what they did was CRAM a whole lot of data into a smaller space, some machines will play them some machines won't

the other posters were trying to explain to you HOW the guy who made that ISO did it.. HE created a NON-standard CD, that is crammed with 'data' by using different encoding techniques

you keep talking minutes

the minute rating only applies to WAV audio , the standard for RETAIL cd music, that is still about 650-700 mega bytes

by using extreme and oddball compression coding , the creator squeezed more VIDEO play time onto the disc ( into that 700 mega-bytes) than is standard

he then makes an 'image file' ISO of that diac and uploads it

another way would be to have a player that plays DviX files and put the video on that CD as 700 meg AVI in dvix encoding

then create the ISO, this would actully have nice quality, most internet downloads are in avi format, although mkv and kvcd are also available

the avi will look much beter than the kvcd but requires a player that is dvix / xvid capable
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by hackerzlab
    but as we burn the iso file, its in vcd format andf the movies are usualy of 2 hours long!
    Both VCD's and XVCD's are authored and burned as VCD's. The properties of the mpeg determines if you have authored and burned a VCD or a XVCD. The only way to have more than 80 min of playtime on a 80 min cd is to author and burn a XVCD by using a non VCD compliant mpeg.

i'm gonna play it on vcd. thats the trouble.
    The VCD format seems to be very popular in India so that's probably why it has to be a VCD.

vcd4ever.
    Quote Quote  
  15. may be i wasn't clear enough.

I have a DVD player cum VCD player. I dont wanna burn in DVD formats as it takes time converting and burning the movie.

thats why i want it in VCD format. but normally we end up burning a movie in 2 VCDs which is very inconvenient. anyways i'm tryin Ashampoo which seems to do what i want but it keeps hanging up! so still trying. thanx for the info guys. any software you recommend? tried nero, blaze pro.... they dont work out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can author VCD to DVD using something like TDA. All it will do is resample the audio to 48 kHz to make it compliant. VCD resolution is already compliant, so you don't have to re-encode the video. You can put 7 - 8 hours of VCD material on a single layer disc, so enough to have several movies.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a DVD player cum VCD player. I dont wanna burn in DVD formats as it takes time converting and burning the movie.

thats why i want it in VCD format. but normally we end up burning a movie in 2 VCDs which is very inconvenient.
    If you have a DVD burner, you can combine several VCD discs into one DVD.

I've had some VCD movies on three discs, I used VCDGear to extract the MPEG1 files. Then combine these in a MPEG editor (Womble MPEG-VCR, TMPGenc, eg) and save out MPEG1 video, save the audio with 48K sample rate and author as a DVD. The video is not reencoded so there is no loss of quality and this is pretty fast, basically the same speed as a file copy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    "Let's see...

I've got VCD material and want on 1 disc and don't want to spend too much time encoding.
    Which one should I do?...

1. Resample and reencode ONLY the audio and author a standard, compliant DVD that is playable just about everywhere and maintains whatever the original VCD visual quality was.

or

2. Reencode BOTH audio AND video to LOWER bitrates (with resulting LOWER quality) so it'll fit on a CD, using both NONSTANDARD VCD templates and NONSTANDARD burning/disc strategies to squeeze hopefully just enough so it'll play? on an XVCD (which is only partially compatible with DVD players).

What to do, what to do...Gee I don't know..."

The correct path seems clear enought to me.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  19. i got grey hair already tryin to figure out what went wrong!!! nothin's working.

I have this movie in .AVI format (699MB) and 1hr 26 minutes long. I've tried TMPGEnc but ends up without audio and when the audio comes, the video doesn't show up clearly (cant view). spoilt 3 CDs already. Please someone help me so that I could write this movie in ONE single CD in VideoCD Format to play in my VideoCD player. please help me. i'm so tired of this. 4 says, i've been downloading softwares and trying various things and i cant take this anymore. please/
    Quote Quote