VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a JVC GR-D370 minidv camcorder. It is about 5 yrs old. I have just gotten around to trying to transfer the video from minidv into my computer. However, I found out that when I connect the firewire to the computer, I am able to transfer the video however the time/date stamp does not transfer. I looked in the manual and it does state outright that when transfering the video the time/date stamp will not transfer. I have begun to go down the road of trying to use a component output (ADS video xpress) to capture the video and that does work, however the picture is too grainy. My question is: with the newer MiniDV camcorders, when you transfer video via the firewire will they transfer the time/date stamp along with the video? And, secondly, if I put my old minidv tapes into a new camcorder will I also be able to transfer the video with the time/date stamp, considering the fact that the initial video was captured with an older minidv camcorder? Thanks for any insight towards this effort!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try our Enosoft DV Processor (it can burn the time/date etc onto the video during capture - if you want it to - or view it later). (You need Win XP or later + a CPU with SSE2). This software is free for personal use. There are other tools available, but our one is by far the fastest and simplest (just a single mouse click to add the time/date etc).

Our Enhanced DV Decoder can also display the time/date etc. Again, SSE2 required - but works with Windows 2000/XP/Vista.

RE old tapes: as long as the original camcorder had the time/date set, this information should be on the tape and will be transferred to the computer along with the video....
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I appreciate the offer, but I'm looking to capture the time/date stamp that is currently on the video.
    Quote Quote  
  4. When you play the tape in the camcorder and see the time/date, it is reading the time/date from the additional data recorded with the video. This information is also sent via FireWire when you transfer the video to the computer. Our software reads that same information and puts it on the video. It's exactly the same process that the camcorder is doing - the only difference is that the position/letter size will be different.

Here's an example:

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    http://dts8888.com/vDTS/vdts.htm

nothin better...you can choose font, etc.
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks.....however, still looking to find out if I purchase (or borrow) a newer miniDV camcorder, will the firewire transfer of previously taken video include the time/date stamp.....
    Quote Quote  
  7. The timecode is transferred via firewire, it does not matter what dv device is used to transfer it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I thought so too....however, that is not true with my camcorder....it even states it outright in the manual. And I did try it and, indeed, it did not transfer the time/date stamp.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Take it back ...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Logan69
    I thought so too....however, that is not true with my camcorder....it even states it outright in the manual. And I did try it and, indeed, it did not transfer the time/date stamp.
    If when you play the tape in the camcorder you can see the time/date on the camcorder then the data are recorded on the tape - but not on the video itself. The information will be transferred via FireWire.

If you need to confirm this, please try the trial version of our DV decoder. Once installed, with XP, all you need to do is connect the camcorder to your FireWire port, wait for the "bid-dip", open the new folder created in My Computer (e.g., JVC DV Camcorder) and you will see the time and date on the video.

Unless you have the right software on your computer, you won't see the time/date - but the information *is* in the file.

Alternatively, if you can post a very short clip captured directly from your camcorder to somewhere suitable, I can take a look at it here and see if the time/date info are present (but, please, no more than one second - I have a s-l-o-w connection).

BTW - if you aren't too fussed by the font choice, our software will make the time/date visible without any additional processing after capture and it will preserve the maximum quality possible since the compressed DV video never gets fully decompressed and recompressed - other software does and not only does this affect the quality but it takes longer. We have a number of clients world-wide who use our software explicity to achieve what you are trying to do (mainly local TV newsrooms and documentary makers).
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll give it a shot this evening and let you know how it works....thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    BTW - if you aren't too fussed by the font choice, our software will make the time/date visible without any additional processing after capture and it will preserve the maximum quality possible since the compressed DV video never gets fully decompressed and recompressed - other software does and not only does this affect the quality but it takes longer.
    it hardly takes any time.....only the frames where you add the time/etc gets altered and you really don't notice a thing, plus you can choose where to put it without the black background mess...looks bad in my opinion.
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  13. It depends whether you are wanting to add a time/date that will be a creative part of the video or if you just need to see the information - e.g., for dailies, security etc.

The OP has options....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use it for home movies....so I like the creative aspect. I think you could get your program to do it...could you? If so I would buy it....but as I said just stamping it anywhere, IMHO, just does not look good.
    Quote Quote  
  15. The original intent behind our software was to enable real-time performance on modest systems. For timecode support - which changes every frame - using traditional Windows font techniques is too costly in terms of CPU time etc.

However, we intend to add a custom text field to the overlay features - this would include support for different fonts etc as well as. For current generation desktops, I expect real-time performance will still be achievable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    that is good news....but you are not changing every frame....you put it on for a bit, then off; so windows fonts are fine. for this you get faster than real-time anyway
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    O.K....so, I downloaded the Enosoft DV Processor and I captured the video (I think)....when I am capturing the video I do see the time/date stamp in the "output" preview screen, however, when I go to play the video, irrespective of what player/application I use, it states that my system is out of memory and cannot play the video. I tried both the Type 1 and 2 DV AVI file format. I can see the video file in exlporer listed as an AVI, however, I cannot get anything to open it. It is a completely proprietary format or am I doing something wrong? I feel as though I'm so close to getting the vid the way I want it, based off of the output preview screen, and yet I can't view/use it......help!!!

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can anyone help me out.

Current setup is Sony DSR1500a with SDTI cards, no composite output except for the Super Output. I need to make a window dub with visible timecode. I currently am achieving this by patching the output of the of the Super into the dvd recorder that I am using. I want to accomplish this using the firewire output of the Sony DSR-1500a and the Firewire input of the Sony RDR-HX900.

Anyone have any experience with this.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone?.....
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Logan69,

I've recently downloaded and used Enosoft on several captures. The resultant files play fine on my PC using Windows Media Player 10 and I can import them into Pinnacle Studio 10.7 with no problems - So, I don't believe that they are "completely proprietary".

I've also tried Type 1 and Type 2 - I did have some minor issues with one type (can't remember now) of AVI, but playability was not one of them.

If you have WMP 11, then maybe that's the problem? Have you tried VLC Player?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well.......I worked it out and the Enosoft application is actually working quite well. It's capturing well and incorporating the date and time stamp (don't know why none of my applications would play the AVIs initially - could have been a memory issue with my system). However, it only seems to be able to capture 5 mins of video at a time. Is this a feature restriction of the shareware version or is there a configuration setting that I can manipulate to all me to capture a complete MiniDV cassette?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  22. There are cameras that burn the time and date into the picture, not just riding it along in the digital data, but actually put it into the picture. Some of them are:
    Sony HVR-V1U
    Sony PD-170
    Sony DSR-250
    Panasonic AG-DVC30
    Panasonic AG-DVC60

If anyone knows any other cameras that do this, I'd really like to know about them. I use the DSR-250 to record depositions and I use this all the time, the date and time go out through the firewire, composite and s-video signals all the time (thus putting it on my backup recordings).
    Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by Logan69 View Post
    Well.......I worked it out and the Enosoft application is actually working quite well. It's capturing well and incorporating the date and time stamp (don't know why none of my applications would play the AVIs initially - could have been a memory issue with my system). However, it only seems to be able to capture 5 mins of video at a time. Is this a feature restriction of the shareware version or is there a configuration setting that I can manipulate to all me to capture a complete MiniDV cassette?

Thanks!
    There's no restriction. Either a capture limit has been set or the capture disk's file system is limiting the size of the file (5 minutes would mean about 1GB) - or a screen saver is kicking in.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does Enosoft DV Processor work with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit??
    Quote Quote  
  25. Free utility to view the date/time of a DV file. It's called "Play DV" and can be obtained from http://video2dv.com/index.php?lang=en&page=playdv, along with some other free video utilities.
    Quote Quote