VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just in case First off i would like to apologize if this has been posted before but i did briefly search for this but gave up with so much to look at.

I have a LITE-ON Dual DVD-R +R +RW -RW.

I have little experience for these types of DVD Recorders.

Anyway, one dvd player started messing up, got a dvd laser lens cleaner got it to work. Then the recorder started going wrong by not recognizing disks. If its a blank UNUSED DVDR then yeah it recognizes it, But if it was used and i put it in it asks for a dvd in it. Well i can only think of cleaning the laser lens in the dvd recorder, however like i said i have little experience in it so i have no idea of how to do it.

I Did try that dvd laser lens cleaner but the dvd recorder didnt recognize it so it wouldnt work.

Is there a "Special" brand of laser lens cleaner i need for a dvd recorder? If not then how do i clean the laser lens? do i have to open it up and clean it by hand? IF SO please, Please give me some instructions on how to do that.

PS. Thank You In Advance For All The Help. I Hope You All Can Help Cause I Am Desperate For Some.
    Quote Quote  
  2. What model is it.
    How old is it and does it have the original DVD drive
    Are you using + or - RW disks.

A Quote
    "got a dvd laser lens cleaner got it to work."

Did the cleaner, at first, fix the problem of not recognizing a used +RW disk

I assume that uou are speaking to a used +RW disk. Has the disk been erased in the unit and is it reading empty [If it reads it at all]
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First off Thank You And Sorry I Was in a hurry and wanted to jot down the message at the time so i forgot to include the specific details.

I meant to say i tried the dvd cleaner on it but it didnt recognize it though it did work on A dvd player i used it on which isnt really an issue right now, dont know why i mentioned the dvd player since its not relevant right now since it works i was just explaining why i have a dvd cleaner. I am not sure if i need a special dvd cleaner for a dvd recorder or what so thats why i talked about a dvd cleaner.

It does have the original Drive, Model is Lite-ON LVW 5005 DVD+/- Recorder, Its about 1 year old now probably less than that.

The Dvd Recorder is Dual so it records +R +RW -R -RW. What i have been using is + since it recognizes blank +R's but it has given me quite a bit of problems in the past on -R's (I think it doesnt recognize them anymore i am not sure) and that dvd cleaner i tried using didnt work cause it wouldnt recognize it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have to tell you that unless you have a very dusty or smoky environment or a lot of grease in the air from a nearby kitchen, you may not have a problem with the lens. They very rarely need cleaning in most environments.

But if it's not working, I would still try a cleaning as you have little to lose most times. If one of those cleaner discs doesn't work, the next method is to partially disassemble the DVR until you can get access to the lens.

I use a foam type 'Q-tip' dampened with 90% isopropyl alcohol if a DVD lens cleaner solution is not available. Cotton 'Q-tips' can leave fibers. Sometimes you can open the drives slide and be able to see and get access to the lens, but not often.

Here's what the lens assembly looks like:

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had similar issues with a 5005 after only 6 months, and the problem got progressively worse until it would read no disk of any kind. I replaced the burner in the 5005 with a LiteOn 165P6S to fix the problem. Check CDFreaks LiteOn recorder forum for threads on how to if interested. There are threads there also by some who returned 5005s to LiteOn for repair who had to wait weeks for unit's return only to have same problem recur in just a few months which influenced my decision to replace the burner. Burners are available from time to time at NewEgg for under $35, and I recently got a Sony DRU-120C which is a rebadged LiteOn 165P6S for $25 after rebate from CompUSA.
    Quote Quote  
  6. bevills1

Did the 165p drive function on Fast Foward
    I have 6 Liteon/ilo units all with replaced drives Ihad found that any liteon drive over 1693s would mot function [including the 165]
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Freeze on FastForward does occur with my 165 replacement, but that's not important to me as I use the drive strictly for recording and use DVD players for all DVD playing. Additionally most drive replacements past 1693 will not create VCD/SVCD but will do CD audio. There is one exception to the freeze on FastForward issue I found in CDFreaks thread which is the Sony DRU-120C with MYR5 firmware; the no VCD/SVCD issue persists with the Sony replacement. In another forum I also read where the Benq 1620 was a full functioning 5005 drive replacement, but that would likely be difficult or impossible to find unless you happen to already have one.
    Quote Quote  
  8. There are dry cleaners, they only do dust.

There are wet cleaners they do oil & dust.

Best to do it by hand with some denatured alcohol.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Bevills1

Thanks
    That would verify the FF problem with the 160 and over series. The FF isn’t a problem when used as yours and I have a few out that way.
    I and I'm sure others edit with the unit and not having a FF can be a problem [ I used to use a PC]
    A number of Sony drives were made be Liteon. so far, none would seem to work correctly. The reference to firmware MYR5 is noted
    The use of the Benq 1620 for all functions is well verified but as you say try and find one
    Some Samsung drives were said to be compatible with the Liteon/ilo units but I have no experience with them
    I put a 160p in a RHD04 almost a year ago and except for the FF it is working fine.
    Liteon used A DDW –4x or 8x as the orig. in their units and they were a problem. Why I do not know. [firmware – chipsets] I can’t see where the laser itself was the issue
    Many times a disk would play in the Liteon/ilo unit but a disk so burned would have problems in other units. Any such issue has disappeared with the replacement PC drives

I have not run into a dirty laser problem. While cleaning, might help for a very short period, Most often a problem is operator error or a bum drive and while at first I tried to correct for non operator problems I now just replace the drive

--------------------------------------------------------

EDIT
    To explain --- I do not use the 5005 to edit
    I have a 5045 and 2 RHD04 units with HDD that I edit with.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One of the units I have is 4 to 5 years old and has had no problems of any kind. I suspect dirty laser is not an issue for most unless the recorders are quite old or used in abnormally dusty environments.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One of the worst environments for a burner is around cooking. (For example, a living room next to the kitchen.) Cooking, especially frying releases micro droplets of oil into the air which, over time, settles and builds up on the laser lens. This is the worst kind of lens contamination because it is greasy gunk that won't come off with a dry cleaner. Just plain dust usually isn't a problem. It's tends to blow off when the burner is used but kitchen gunk is another matter.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I have a similar problem with my 5005 and have a thread here on the topic.

LiteOn dvd burners are hard to find in my neck of the woods as well as Sony. LGs hover are very popular. Would a LG work or any other make other then LiteOn or Sony?
    Quote Quote  
  13. I wonder does audio CD len cleaning products will do the same thing for DVD player/recorder ?

I have a pioneer dvd player that says it has twin lasers. One for CD, and one for DVD. Does it has one len or two that I am dealing with ?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    kenmo, on CDFreaks LiteOn recorder forum in some threads on drive replacement I read where NEC 3520, Pioneer 105 and an LG which I don't recall model were used successfully. However, one user tried a NEC 3550 which did not work which means non LiteOn and non Sony made by LiteOn is a gamble. You might try searching the CDFreaks LiteOn recorder forum though because I think the LG used successfully was a newer model which was 18x if memory serves.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just happened to find thread with post for LG replacement for the 5005 in post #10 at http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=197283. Note the BK part of the LG Electronics GSA-H42N-BK DVD model simply indicates color is black, and BG for beige or other color should work since the only difference is the color.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank You For All You're Help.

I Dont know if its the laser lens or the drive is failing, But i would like to try to clean it first just to be sure that i dont throw away a good burner.

I am not sure exactly how to proceed on opening the burner up so i might just make another topic asking how and if there is any danger since it did mention a warning on a label on the burner.

Edit: I Opened it up and cleaned it turns out i will have to just replace the burner after all
    But man oh man was that silver casing around the burner a pain in the ass, the screws under it were hard to get to but i was finally able to unscrew em and get it done.
    Quote Quote  
  17. They put that there so idiots won't open it when its connected to a PS.....

There is no instruction for all, just look to see how its put together & unscrew the top & hope it opens.

Frankly, if you don't know what you're doing, get a new one.
    Quote Quote