VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hello folks i just get a dvd that was capture from a vcr is in 4.3 aspect radio but i want to coverte to letter box 19.3 how i can do that and what is need in orthen to doit
    i thank in advance for any help
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you want to letterbox it, or convert it to true 16:9 ?

For 16:9, crop 60 lines form the top and 60 from the bottom, then resize the results back to 480 lines. Encode as 16:9, and author as 16:9 and you have your disc.

For a letterbox 4:3 result, crop 60 lines from the top and 60 from the bottom, then replace them with black borders. Encode and author as 4:3.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. yes i want to conver it to real 16.9 what software is need to do that
    thank you for your help
    Quote Quote  
  4. if letter box how is done and what software is good for that
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you just want to letterbox, then virtualdubmpeg2 and the resize filter is the simplest. Add the Null Transform filter, then click on Cropping. Crop 60 lines from the top and 60 from the bottom. Add a Resize filter and resize to 720 x 360 in the top section (which is what you have after the crop anyway), then tick the box to activate the bottom section and enter 720 x 480. Frameserve the results to your mpeg2 encoder and encode as 4:3

You can do something similar in virtualdubmpeg2 for 16:9, however the results won't be as good as using avisynth. This is more complicated, but can be done.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Is there anyway to keep the entire picture without cropping off some of the film?I got a couple star wars movies and they are letterboxed with no loss of picture.I have been reading and testing for weeks with no luck to duplicate. One is 640x272 another is 448x192.The aspect ratio is 4.3. I either get a sqished look,loss of some picture, or a box look.I have tried captures with 720x480 mpeg and 640x480 avi and played with settings extensively.I am stumped and guess either they were high def encodes or captured as letterboxed. I am not a genius in this field and was hoping someone may have an answer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by karris56
    I got a couple star wars movies and they are letterboxed with no loss of picture.
    ...and Star Wars was originally shot in 4:3? I don't think so...
    No, you can't make a 4:3 video into a 16:9 video without either distorting the picture (stretching it sideways) or taking pieces out top and/or bottom.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Letterbox means it is 4:3, but has black bars top and bottom encoded into the image to preserve the aspect ratio. The image is not stretched, and when viewed on a widescreen TV will have borders all the way around unless zoomed in.

16:9 encodes the image horizontally squeezed (or vertically stretched, depending on how you look at it), with smaller black bars. On a widescreen TV this will present across the full width of the TV. On a correctly set up 4:3 TV, it will look the same as letterboxed.

640 x 272 is not 4:3. It is in fact 2.35 : 1, or very widescreen. You are better off encoding this one to 16:9. 448 x 192 is also widescreen, but has such a low resolution it probably isn't worth converting. The simplest solution for you is to use ConvertXtoDVD and let it work it out for you. Next simplest is FitCD and avisynth.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Consider also DVD Rebuilder

Regards
    Les
    Quote Quote  
  10. Use TMPG encoder and crop 60 off the top and 60 off the bottom. Re encode using a dvd template but make sure you change the aspect ration to 16:9. You will have to lose the top and bottom to make it true 16:9, no way around that. But it will fit fine on a widescreen tv.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I think I got what I want.I captured a divx file at 4000 bitrate at 640-240.I then resized to 640-320.It looks letterboxed on my divx player with no squished look. Since I will be getting a widesceen tv sometime in the future I want to know if this file would play right on WS.I can also capture at 720-240 and wonder if that would be better? Also is the 320 resize o.k. or should it be some other multiple and should I crop anything for a better picture? Like the black bars up and down to save bitrate?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So you have this

And you want this

You like your ladies wide?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Or do you want to vertical crop to this?

Or something else?

If so, TV overscan will cause it to display as this.

vs. the original

Quote Quote  
  14. Still stumped.O.k. my captures at 640-240 looked fine when resized to 640-320 but will look fat on other captures because it is still wrong. Let me explain more detailed because some may have misinterpeted.I downloaded 3 movies.On my computer they looked letterboxed and on the t.v. also.I put them in G-SPOT and they showed all were avi with a 4.3 aspect ratio.They differed in size.They were 448-192 640-272 464-208 etc.I can capture avi up to 640-480 or mpeg 720-640 and at 4.3 16.9 or 2.11.If I cant convert these to what this person was able to do how did he do it ?I guessed HD or some WS capture but no one has confirmed just told me I cant do it.Fine, can someone guess as to how it was done ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by karris56
    Still stumped.O.k. my captures at 640-240 looked fine when resized to 640-320 but will look fat on other captures because it is still wrong. Let me explain more detailed because some may have misinterpeted.I downloaded 3 movies.On my computer they looked letterboxed and on the t.v. also.I put them in G-SPOT and they showed all were avi with a 4.3 aspect ratio.They differed in size.They were 448-192 640-272 464-208 etc.I can capture avi up to 640-480 or mpeg 720-640 and at 4.3 16.9 or 2.11.If I cant convert these to what this person was able to do how did he do it ?I guessed HD or some WS capture but no one has confirmed just told me I cant do it.Fine, can someone guess as to how it was done ?
    Since you didn't do it you want us to play CSI and guess how someone else encoded your downloads? We can start with the origianls and then guess.

Let's start with the usual, suspects. These are typical aspect ratios found in film and video. Do any of these look like the perp?

When you "fit" film or HD 16:9 aspect ratios into a 4:3 frame you get letterbox. When you fit 4:3 into a 16:9 frame you get side "pillars".
    Quote Quote  
  16. I put them in G-SPOT and they showed all were avi with a 4.3 aspect ratio.They differed in size.They were 448-192 640-272 464-208 etc.

They're just standard 1:1 AVIs. I'm sure if you play them normally (double-click on them to open in your favorite player) they play fine and everything looks normal, right?

If converting to DVD, use FitCD to generate an AviSynth script for frameserving into your favorite encoder. Nothing unusual so far.

640x240 and 640x320, on the other hand, are messed up and won't play with decent aspect ratio. Even 640x320 is no good. The ratio is 2:1 and there aren't movies or TV shows created using that ratio. Can't you cap in something normal, like 720x480/576?

If I cant convert these to what this person was able to do how did he do it ?

Unlike you, he knew what he was doing.

Fine, can someone guess as to how it was done ?

Who wants to guess? We have no idea how you screwed up the cap or what the AR is supposed to be. If you were to upload a small piece of the source (and maybe tell us what movie or TV show it is), then maybe we can figure it out. And maybe not.
    Quote Quote