VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i'm using the phillip DVP5960 to output to a tube TV (analog with the white/yellow/red cable)... i think i'm doing it wrong, it looks fine on the computer. but on the TV it looks a bit crap.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    just a guess , id say encoding, the Pc has many codecs and much more powerful processor than the DVD player,

the dvd player will have the licensed ver of Divx in it's hardware while your avi will have been encoded by/with some other variation of mpeg4 / xvid so it's NOT an exact match for the DVD player
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Two main reasons

1. PC codecs such as Divx/Xvid etc are designed to exploit the way the PC displays video. This includes the different gamma curves that the average PC display has. if you calibrate your monitor to be closer to your TV you will see a lot more of the artifacts.

2. The software players and the decoder itself smooth and hide a lot of the issues on playback. Again, they are not perfect, but they do make a difference in most cases. Just try turning these features off in your player and see the difference.

Hardware players don't provide the same smoothing, and your TV exposes all the flaws. Add to this a composite connection from your player to your PC - the lowest quality connection available to you, and you get sub-optimal viewing. Finally, most avi files, unless you are encoding them yourself, are encoded with too low a bitrate and often with a single pass. The quality is average, at best, to begin with.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. so would HDMI connection help? cuzz my dvd player got that connection + i'll be getting an LCD soon.. i hope it does... and the file was an xvix... let me try dvix and see if it gets any better.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Honestly - very little. You have to accept that unless it is Divx Ultra certified, and the video is encoded at high resolution and high bitrates, it is going to look very average. A 90 minute + movie in 700MB, or even 1400MB, is not going to be even close to good DVD quality. Something has to be compromised, and it is either the image quality (lower bitrate) or the resolution. And that is without discussing the crappy quality of MP3 audio. If anything, putting it through HDMI to a good HD TV is only going to make it look a lot worse.

As the saying goes : you can't polish a turd.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Divx Ultra certified? that's what my dvd player said... um why does that makes a difference?
    Quote Quote