VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have dvds and the subtitles have grammer errors where its hard to understand what's going on. I want to edit them by any means nessesary, as long as I can save them on the same disc (I want to keep them because of the picture on the DVD). Is there a guide where i am able to either overrun the "read-only" thing or maybe after i extract the video, audio, and subtitles completely make the dvd blank and copy the movie back on?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi-

To get the subs back into the DVD after having edited them requires that all the assets (video, audio, chapters, and subs) be demuxed. To edit the subs requires that you have them in some sort of text format.

So, demux the video using PGCDemux. That will give you an M2V, the AC3 audio (if that's what it is), the celltimes.txt (chapters), and a subtitle file in SUP format.

There are several ways to handle the subs. I convert them to SSA format using SubRip to do the OCR. Then I do the editing in SubStation Alpha, convert back to SUP format, and reauthor using Muxman. Finally, I put the DVD with edited subs back into the original DVD, keeping the menus and anything else I want to keep, using the "Replace" button of VobBlanker.

If all that sounded like gibberish to you, you may not be ready for this project.

...as long as I can save them on the same disc

The exact same disc as the DVD is on now? You're joking, right?

...completely make the dvd blank and copy the movie back on?

Again with the jokes.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so its possible to watch the edited subs on the dvd i started out with or...no...?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ichigo15
    so its possible to watch the edited subs on the dvd i started out with or...no...?
    Unless the disc you started out with is already a rewriteable disc, then no.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How can you tell? Some of it's information says:

DVD
    K469(E
    Type: CD Drive
    File System: UDF
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ichigo15
    How can you tell?
    If you bought it prerecorded, it's not rewritable.

Rewritable discs will have "RW" prominently marked on them.

Anyway, they cost three times as much as a single-write disc, so mostly they're used for testing or temporary files (watch once and recycle).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Is the way above, the only way to edit the subs? Isn't there an easier/faster way to do it?
    I want to do the same thing, but after reading above it seems it's much easier to just ripp the dvd to xvid/divx and watch on the standalone dvdplayer with softsubs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Snowcrystal
    Is the way above, the only way to edit the subs? Isn't there an easier/faster way to do it?
    Yes, but we just like to deliberately confuse people.

Originally Posted by Snowcrystal
    I want to do the same thing, but after reading above it seems it's much easier to just ripp the dvd to xvid/divx and watch on the standalone dvdplayer with softsubs.
    The problem is getting the "soft subs". You may find some online, but quality, and synchronisation, are another series of problems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think however you can do minor corrections (like erasing some letters) with DVDSubEdit without having to demux and remux.

Cheers
    Manusse
    Quote Quote  
  10. Well AlanHK, you never know. There might be an alternative way.

and thanx manusse, I shall try it and see if it works.
    Quote Quote