VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I recorded a TV show with Eye TV, which has two separate sound tracks on the left and right channel. I would like to burn a DVD where I can select the correct sound channel through the sound track language selection. How do I do this, preferably without having to reencode the video?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You won't need to re-encode the video, but you will need to seperate right from left channels and at the least, you could use Audacity to do that if its PCM audio

i THINK YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO USE dvd studio pro OR THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE, AS iDVD DOESN'T DO LANGUAGE TRACKS.

Or if you seperate theaudio sucessfully, you could author one dvd in each language in iDVD
    Quote Quote  
  3. I do not want to use iDVD, since I would have to reencode the video, at least afaik.

Does ffmpegX do this? How?

Johannes
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have not used EyeTV, but I believe what dcsos is suggesting is this:

1) Demux your program stream into separate audio and video streams. You will not be touching the video stream, so there will be no generational loss there from another conversion.

2) Use Audacity or some similar audio editing tool to delete the unwanted audio channel.

3) Copy the audio from the wanted channel over to the (now empty) unwanted channel. This will restore glorious dual-channel mono sound to your stream.

4) You will probably have to export the result as a .wav (but perhaps not).

5) If in .wav, convert into a suitable DVD-compatible stream (MP2 is just fine, unless you are fussy; 48kHz sampling rate at 224kHz is what I generally use).

6) Remux, author, and burn.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You mean this can be done in iDVD? Or is there an easier way? Is there a way to keep both language tracks as separate audio tracks in the final DVD?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have not used iDVD, but once you have the video stream, and both audio streams (just repeat the audio procedure I outlined, to produce the other language track), then you have all of the elements needed by a suitably capable DVD authoring tool to produce the result you describe. But I've not done this myself, so I don't know if iDVD has this ability. I'm sure that some other person with the necessary knowledge will jump in here shortly with the answer.

Of course, in the worst case, you may have to keep the languages as they are: one on each channel. My DVD player has a remote-control option to play either the left or channel track on both speakers for just this case. Perhaps your player also has this feature.
    Quote Quote  
  7. The player does, but Apple DVD player does not as far as I can see.

Which application can put two audio tracks on the DVD and does not reencode the video (iDVD does to my knowledge)?

I have Toast, MpegStreamclip, FFMPEGX.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I believe ffmpegX can do this. Demux the source file to a video stream and an audio stream. Open the audio file in a sound editor to create two files, one from each channel. Files should be in a DVD compliant format: m2v (video), mp2 or ac3 (audio).
    Next, use the Mux tool (in the Tools tab), which allows a secundary audio stream. Check the Author checkbox. Your output should be an MPEG file with two audio tracks and a VIDEO_TS folder.
    Use MyDVDEdit if you want to specify the audio (e.g. a language name).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thank you.

One problem: I am trying to output an mpeg file (so I can then combine several on a DVD instead of directly mastering the DVD in the Mux tool), but FFmpegX stops with an error: too many dropped frames. Any help with this?
    Quote Quote