VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been using Nero Recode for a while converting my DVD files to MP4. But wasnt sure if am using the correct file size for each standard dvd. I have been trying around 700 Mb for standard movie and around 350Mb for TV series episode. i think the quality is quite good but as am totally novice so was just looking for some opinions from u guys. i also heard tht these MP4 files are also compatiable with Apple Tv as well. So guys what do u think Avi is better or MP4 or can u guys help me with the best setting for MP4. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Actually a MP4 could be called a AVI. A Xvid is also a MP4. MP4 and AVI are just container names and don't really describe the format/codec used. Name the codec used, along with the audio format, and we would be able to answer your questions better.

But, generally with formats like Xvid, or maybe what you are using, Nero digital, 700MB is probably the lower end of quality for a 1 1/2 to 2 hour video. Bump it up to about 1500MB and your files should be about as good as they can be in those types of highly compressed formats. But if you are satisfied with the quality as is, then it's all good.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    mp4 is not a subset of avi. Avi and mp4 are completely different containers. mp4 is newer, supports chapers, menus, etc. avi doesn't. So technically mp4 is the better container. However although it can store basically anything using private streams, unless you are storing stuff defined in the specs (MPEG-4 Part 2, 10, etc.) or al least something in common usage like Nero's chapters or VOBSub's, then you would be better off using say mkv.

Xvid is just an MPEG-4 Part 2 video codec. mp4 is the offical MPEG-4 container and is actually Part 14. So Xvid != mp4 either.

Typically avi is used for Xvid video and mp3 audio, however it is more of a general purpose container and could contain basically anything. For Xvid/VBR mp3, mp4 should offer lower overhead than avi, allowing for slightly higher bitrates. The avi will probably offer better compatibility though.

So to sum up, overall mp4 is the better container. Doesn't make it better for all purposes though.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply celtic_druid and redwudz. But i am more concerned about the file size. I usually see 700 mb size of standard Dvd and 350 Mb for tv episode in Avi format on various torrent websites. So i thohght maybe its gonna be around same file size for the MP4 file. Well Who knows.......Any help with that? i am using Nero Recode. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    File size will be whatever bitrate you chose * the length of your source + the container overhead. In other words, the size is whatever you make it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by celtic_druid
    File size will be whatever bitrate you chose * the length of your source + the container overhead. In other words, the size is whatever you make it.
    so that means higher the bit rate, better the output? what do u say about 2.00Mpbs?(Nero Recode).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi fookju, (that doesn't sound very polite)
    I use Recode all the time for iPod and Media Centre movies, In general 1.25Mbps makes a DVD source movie look quite good on a 42"HDTV, and of course really good on a regular CRT TV. If you uncheck "fit to disc" then you can drag the bitrate slider to whatever you want, Anything more than 1.5Mbps is excessive though. Don't be afraid to up the audio quality either, Nero's default of 80kbps is a little skimpy, 112kbps is a decent compromise between filesize and quality.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    80kbps should be fine for 2 channel he aac audio. Just that iPod's don't support he-aac.

The higher the bitrate, then better the output upto a point. There will be a point where you can't tell the difference and another point where the encoder reaches saturation and it can't throw any more bits at the video.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Guys....Really Appreciate tht...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What should I use to get the highest (internet) video quality yet keeping the smallest possible file size? I don't want my videos Tiny or pixelated yet companies like Photobucket only allow 10mb of video file size. What's the best way to get around that or does anyone know of a company that will allow larger file size uploads?
    Quote Quote  
  11. It appears that MP4 video files will play on most Android devices... whereas AVI video files will not. Is that correct? That, plus the superiority of the MP4 container efficiency, sounds like a good reason to standardize on MP4 rather than AVI. Would you agree?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @brucewagner - its not the file type its the codec. Its usually h264 for mp4 videos. If its a relatively new android device it should handle h264 just fine. Just make sure to note whether or not its high def or standard def. It will need to be a pretty powerful unit to do high def h264. But just about any that do video over the last few years SHOULD do h264 standard def. Again read the specs to be sure.

Mp4 is far newer than avi. Avi is ancient in terms of containers. Mp4 is much more flexible and evolving.

But again don't focus just on containers its the codec thats more important.

But some devices may not see a codec if its in an alien container. It might not read h264 if its in a mkv file for example. It might have to be in an mp4 or mov container. Read the specs carefully. Also note if its a 4:3 or 16:9 display and what the source video is. Some letterboxing may be required to keep the aspect ratio correct.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Great info, and very helpful. Thanks, yoda313 !
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by brucewagner View Post
    Great info, and very helpful. Thanks, yoda313 !
    Sure thing. Also you can have divx or xvid in an mp4 container. Its just that h264 is more common these days
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote