VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I am creating presentation video for deaf people. I want to add closed caption on Avi video.
    I have software, camtasia, DVD lab-pro and subtitle workshop, but I don't know which one is the best to put caption. I am deaf, so I have to preview vieo to read lip. This is very important business video, so I am waiting for any advice. Thank you!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i use ConvertXtoDvd to put the DVD together. it's a very simple program. i figured it out quick with no manual. you can add the subtitles in just by dragging the subtitle file onto where the video is in the ConvertXtoDvd menu. very simple. just drag and drop.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hijacking yet another thread. Is there any way I can "stretch" the overall running time of a subtitle file (.srt) so as to fit a slightly longer video file exactly? At present I'm using the 30fps option in DVD-lab with a 29.97fps file. It works surprisingly well but is not very scientific!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ntscuser
    Hijacking yet another thread. Is there any way I can "stretch" the overall running time of a subtitle file (.srt) so as to fit a slightly longer video file exactly? At present I'm using the 30fps option in DVD-lab with a 29.97fps file. It works surprisingly well but is not very scientific!
    start a new thread please ...

use subtitle workshop
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  6. I don't think Subtitle workshop does closed captions.

Choose between subs & captions.

Im deaf too & I know that not all video projectors do captions, but they should do subs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you can do the subs in subtitle workshop , then convert the data to CC (Or line 21) ---

though i go the other way myself -- CC to converted to srt , mod'd in subtitle workshop -- then burned in on film
    Quote Quote  
  8. BJ_M, are you saying SW converts to CCs & encodes them?

"Here is a link to a free utility program called mpg2srt (http://www.htpctools.com/mpg2srt/). I can't take credit for writing this utility program. It was written by another deafie by the name of Ian Coggins. He wrote it because he was frustrated with his DVR software not showing closed captions when playing back the recorded video. He discovered that the closed captions were embedded the whole time in the MPEG2 video stream, but the DVR software did not display it (not without a hack, anyway). So, he wrote a program to extract the line 21 closed caption data to an SRT file. As it so happens, the SRT formatted file is compatible with Subtitle Workshop!"
    http://jarednevans.typepad.com/blog/2006/07/extracting_clos.html
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have not had much success with the MPG2srt.exe program. Although it is an easy to use command line program it always seems to slip the captions by about 1.6 seconds for every 30 minutes of video. For a two hour movie the delay becomes almost 8 seconds at the end of the movie and is very irritating. You can easilly check this by running MPG2srt.exe and then checking with Subtitle Workshop. Subtitle workshop will show both the closed captions and the subtitles at the same time. As the video progresses the two will slip further and further apart! I use the McPoodle programs (General Parser, Raw2scc, and CCASDI) to strip the closed captions and convert to subtitle SRT format. They procedure is not that difficult and after a few uses you'll get the hang of it. The timelines for the Subtitles it produces is always very accurate. I use DVD flick to author the DVD's and it also retains the original Closed Caption information so that both exist on the finished DVD. Hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sounds like one is using drop frame and the other is not
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think it is dropframes. The output times for files from Raw2scc and Mpg2srt both have a colon before the last two time digits indicating that they are both non drop frame format (ie 30 fps). The output from Mpg2srt loses about 1.6 seconds every thirty minutes compared to the output from Raw2scc (the scc format is comverted to srt format with Ccasdi). Thanks for the comment. Th Mcpoodle documentation has an excellent discussion on this topic
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I heard there was a live audio to text subtitle program that run with live streams. It apparently works with sites like JTV. Could some please give my some software names so I can research and utilize them?
    Ulf
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by UncleUlf View Post
    I heard there was a live audio to text subtitle program that run with live streams. It apparently works with sites like JTV. Could some please give my some software names so I can research and utilize them?
    Ulf

Upload to Youtube & when you play it back there is this CC option.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Handyguy, I'm talking about videos that I do not own, but are streamed live thru places like JTV that do not have that option, it's an independent program that is suppose to work with such venues.
    Quote Quote