VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just trying to combine to big avi files into one avi file and then put on a dvd
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Virtualdub will do this. It's freeware and it's easy to use. Just open the first part of the file, then "append" the next part to it. Simple. One caveat though... both parts must be encoded the same way (frame rate, bit rate, etc.) in order to append them. If you have Parts 1 and 2 of the same video this is probably already taken care of. Just thought I'd mention it.
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    Quote Quote  
  3. And don't forget to set Video for Direct Stream Copy. And if the audio is VBR MP3, better you use VDubMod for the job.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Avidemux2 will append two streams, again be sure that are the same bitrate frame rate ,audio etc.

then save the file with a different name,

again if this is 2 pts of the same movie example ( cd1 , cd2 )
    most likley the original avi was just split into

and it should be an easy thing

IF by change you want to take (2) avis from different sources, you are going to have too, check them with gspot, and if they don't match you will HAVE to change the specs of one to match the other that could mean re-encoding the whole file both streams audio & video in the avi

OR

use convertX it will take mulitpe avi files and convert to DVD with one click
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks wizard I have been looking for this info for 2 years or so. Here is a link from VSO http://forums.vso-software.fr/how-to-merge-video-files-and-join-video-files-together-t3080.html
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'd wondered about this for forever too, and found it on a Google so I wanted to post my thanks regardless of the age of the thread.

For some reason all of my merged movies are coming out at 85GB, so I will need to spend a little time understanding what I'm doing wrong though!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll set aside my unease at posting on this resurrected old thread to address 94dgrif's issue: it looks like you're encoding, not simply merging files. What are you using, VirtualDub? If so, you need to use Direct Stream Copy mode in both video and audio.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks for the help, that did it!

I used to feel the same way as you about resurrecting old threads, but no longer. People that Answer questions on forums use the forum and navigate to the newest threads (or at least the threads with the newest posts, as they appear at the top). Those that Ask the questions or those that learn from existing answers don't - they use Google. As frustrating as it is for answer-givers to see old threads reappear at the top of the list, they appear on the first page of a search engine's results for a reason. This is one of those examples of old advice being good advice!
    Quote Quote