VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello. The TV I have is a samsung plasma HDTV. I have a venturer rts2628v dvd/vcr combo. I'm using S-Video/Stereo Audio Cable to watch dvd's. The sound & picture looks good, but the movies is shown in black and white. How do I make it so it shows in color? If anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gtsgts
    Hello. The TV I have is a samsung plasma HDTV. I have a venturer rts2628v dvd/vcr combo. I'm using S-Video/Stereo Audio Cable to watch dvd's. The sound & picture looks good, but the movies is shown in black and white. How do I make it so it shows in color? If anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it.
    These are commercial bought DVD? If not the Player doesn't understand your codec.

If it is an MPeg2 progressive movie DVD, you will get a much better picture with analog component or HDMI at 480p or 480i settings. Analog component is the easier path.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Here is what the Venturer website says about it in the FAQ section...

Q: Why are my DVDs playing without color? Why is the color fading in and out?
    A: If you are using S-Video, make sure to disconnect the yellow RCA cable. DO NOT CONNECT THROUGH A VCR (read note below). Make sure that the Audio and Video OUTPUT from the DVD player is going DIRECTLY to a TV and not through anything else. Also, make sure that it is connected on the back of the TV where it says INPUT (yellow, red and white -- not blue, green and red). Make sure that the DVD player OUTPUT (above) is not connected to the VCR. Also, check the following settings on the DVD. Video output -- CVBS (it’s in the set up menu for your DVD player) "To protect copyright, a DVD is designed to only play when directly connected to a TV. The poor picture quality suffered when trying to send the signal through a VCR to the TV is a deliberate engineering feature. This leads to the very common problem of customers hooking up their DVD players through their VCR and getting a substandard result on the TV. Accordingly, we recommend you never hook up your DVD player through a VCR"
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't get color on commercially bought DVDs, or ones that aren't commercially bought. This dvd/vcr combo doesn't have analog component, or HDMI. I would use composite video cable, but the picture doesn't stay stable. I would just connect it to the tv using coaxial cables, but the picture isn't good. With the s-video cable I get stable picture, but no color. Werder I have The dvd/vcr just connected with the s-video cable. I took out the audio cable, but I still get sound from the speakers. Am I not getting color, because the dvd player is combined with the vcr? I know I have to get with the times, and get a more advance dvd player to match my tv, but I just spent a lot of money on a new computer, and new HDTV. I want to use this one for the time being. If I can just figure out how to get color, I'd be sent for now.
    Quote Quote  
  5. ntsc plays back in b+w on some pal dvd players and on some pal TVs... it could be this. post a picture of your connections.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've had this happen on an S-video connection when the plug wasn't in all the way - a simple mistake, but worth looking into. And if both ends of the plug are seated properly, check to make sure there are no bent pins at either end.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Just for the heck of it, when I got my Samsung HD LCD TV late last year, I hooked up an S-video cable to it. The picture quality is not very good going through S-video. I then hooked up component from my DVD player and got a great picture, but I left the S-video cable connected just for the heck of it. When I change inputs on my TV, my S-video input is now black and white. This happened after I changed the DVD player to output a signal through the component connections. Maybe what is happening to you is that your DVD player needs to be configured in setup to send the output signal through S-video for you to get color.

You should get a better DVD player that at least supports component output. It really does make a big difference on your TV.
    Quote Quote  
  8. gtsgts - that is odd. That the picture doesn't stay stable with component and S-video no color points to that the system output is set to a different standard (NTSC/PAL) then the TV - as RabidDog pointed out. Go into the setup menues of both the DVD/VCR system and the TV and look what TV standards have been set. If the standards are not the same, then you need to change that - you live in the US so it should be NTSC on both.
    Also what DVD you are trying play NTSC or PAL?... on one of my players the default setting is auto, so the DVD player outputs the standard of the DVD - once I changed that from auto to NTSC it converts PAL DVD perfectly to NTSC output.
    If you need to get into the extended menu of your DVD/VCR combo - there is a code sequence for your device the hack section of this forum.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you need to get into the extended menu of your DVD/VCR combo - there is a code sequence for your device the hack section of this forum.
    Can you link me to the post with the code sequence? I did a search, but I didn't find it. Thanks a lot for all your help. I really appreciate this.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Call Tuner Brocasting to color it for you.

Note : Have to get this joke in, Sorry.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    have you tried another s-video cable?
    in s-video the luminance (B&W info) is carried on one of the internal wires, the chroma (colour info) is carried on another wire.....could possibly be a faulty cable
    Quote Quote  
  12. https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.php?select=Venturer+RTS2628

I haven't tried it myself - I don't have the device.

Composite not stable - that is what points me to the wrong TV standard, because synch isn't working properly. I think I had the same or similar problem with my Z500 using the composite and S-video, because the device boots in PAL but then switches over to the standard set in the setup (NTSC) and then worked fine. Now I'm only connected via the HDMI cable and I don't see the boot sequence anymore on the TV.

Bad S-video is another good suggestion... I had many bad S-video cables and the connector pins bend easily.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried with another s -video cable, and it's a no go. I'm just gonna buy a better player. I'm gonna buy a dvd recorder/ vcr combo. If anyone has any suggestion on some good ones let me know. Thanks for all the help you guys.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Your TV should have the input option of Component, AV, HDMI, or TV. I had the same problem and it was because I was using component, I tried using AV and it fixed the problem. Also make sure you cables match color by color. I think this is a better explanation than the other ones.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Pintapita - do NOT dig up old posts to add to them. gtsgts last logged in over 5 years ago. Just leave old threads alone.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Besides, that wasn't even the problem anyway. OP was likely playing NTSC in PAL player (or vice versa), and the player was not stopping output, but instead was showing only B/W. I've seen this PLENTY of times. It's even explained in the old APEX manuals.

sheesh, what a waste of peoples' time!

Scott
    Quote Quote