VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've recently bought a Panasonic NV-GS300 and a 4pin-6pin firewire cable.
    For an unknown reason the camera is not recognized by winXP when capturing (Tape Playback Mode) when using Pinnacle Studio or Windows Movie Maker.
    I already installed 2 MS Hotfixes: KB904412-v2 and KB885222-v2
    In Device Manager nor in Windows Explorer (Scanners & Cameras) I don't see any camcorder.
    I see 2 devices with a yellow question mark: 802.11g WLAN and Multimediacontroller
    My firewire drivers (also from Device Manager) are: 1394bus.sys, arp1394.sys, enum1394.sys, nic1394.sys, ohci1394.sys.
    There's also a "1394-network card" with location "op VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller" among the Network adapters
    My network connections contain a 1394 connection which is connected but doesn"t receive nor send any packages.
    Before capturing I exited my Firewall (MS) and AntiVirus (AVG).
    I read that you have to shut down your pc and cam before connecting the firewire cable, but this didn't help neither.
    Do I need a Panasonic DV driver and where can I find it?

Thank you very much in advance for your help!!
    Nicolas
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    download winDV and see if it can find your cam. download it/install it/reboot. turn on your cam, put it into play/edit mode, connect with the firewire cable, wait a moment to see if the cam shows up in "my computer", start winDV and check if it's in the "video source" drop down box.

added - might be a defective firewire cable?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tested the firewire cable on an external hdd and it wasn't recognized either by winXP !
    Do I understand it right:
    - I connect the Firewire cable
    - I start my external hdd
    - There should be a new hdd in 'My Computer'

How can I exclude that my Firewire port or my 1394-connection are not defective?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    get another cable or take the one you have to a friends house who has a known good computer-cable-cam firewire connection to check it.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by MrSplinter
    I tested the firewire cable on an external hdd and it wasn't recognized either by winXP !
    Do I understand it right:
    - I connect the Firewire cable
    - I start my external hdd
    - There should be a new hdd in 'My Computer'
    Not sure about the drive but that would be true of the cam. You should be able to plug it in, turn the cam on and here the fmailair "dunk" sound that a device has been connected. At this point Windows usually opens the device wizard asking you what you want to do, it should be viewable in My Computer.

As suggested above try it on another computer. Might simply be a bad cable, your cam etc.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok thanks for your replies!
    I'm now looking for somebody nót in the USA
    I'll keep you posted
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This looks like a defective cable.I had a same problem.I thought it was the cam,then computer hardware,then the OS but it turns out it was the firewire cable,cheapest brand thou.When I bought a cable 3 times more expensive everything worked just fine.
    Life is just a moment that rushes only once.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I sent the cable back to the seller within 7 workdays, so if they test it and it's defect indeed, I'll get a new one
    We'll see
    Quote Quote  
  9. You have checked if your Firewire connector is plugged to your motherboard (especially if it's a front connector) ???
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MrSplinter
    I sent the cable back to the seller within 7 workdays, so if they test it and it's defect indeed, I'll get a new one
    We'll see
    So why the diss for help from the USA?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by edDV
    So why the diss for help from the USA?
    I suspect he's refering to the bit about going to a friend's house to try a different cable.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm new to the forum but having the same problem with computer not recognizing the camera. using JVC GY-GD100U and just upgraded from Pinnacle 9 to 10.6. Pinnacle says it doesn't support 64 bit and I have it installed on a gateway with AMD Turion 64 so maybe this is why for me but I'm thinking the computer should still give me the add new hardware signal regardless of which program I use to capture. is this correct? Thank you Lisa
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by studiocpictures
    I'm new to the forum but having the same problem with computer not recognizing the camera. using JVC GY-GD100U and just upgraded from Pinnacle 9 to 10.6. Pinnacle says it doesn't support 64 bit and I have it installed on a gateway with AMD Turion 64 so maybe this is why for me but I'm thinking the computer should still give me the add new hardware signal regardless of which program I use to capture. is this correct? Thank you Lisa
    Is your JVC GY-GD100U operating in DV mode? HDV requires specialized programs for capture. Even Win XP 32bit bit won't see an HDV source.

If you are in DV mode, XP should detect the camcorder.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    Originally Posted by studiocpictures
    Is your JVC GY-GD100U operating in DV mode? HDV requires specialized programs for capture. Even Win XP 32bit bit won't see an HDV source.

If you are in DV mode, XP should detect the camcorder.
    The tape was recorded in hdv 60/30 on the hd100u. I set the switch to hdv. I did try to set it to dv just to see what would happen but since tape was hdv 60/30 then it didn't recognize. I think I'll tape a few minutes in a different setting and then try the dv switch and see if it will make a difference. the new pinnacle upgrade I added is compatible with hdv that's why I did the upgrade until I move ahead to Liquid.
    Lisa
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For HDV, it will be the editing program that detects the camera using the program's drivers. XP DirectShow is unaware of HDV.

Some HDV camcorders will convert 1080i/720p HDV to 720x480i DV in the camera and those can be detected as normal SD DV format.

You should be able to find a forum for that camera where you can ask about performance with Pinnacle products. You will find much more support for Avid, Adobe Premiere Pro, Apple Final Cut Pro or Sony Vegas.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am having the same issue. I'm a technician for a school district. We have two labs that we installed FireWire cards on. One lab has HP DC5100 SFF Machines (qty. 30) and the other lab has HP DC5750 machines (qty. 12). They all have the same FireWire card. When plugging in a camera sometimes it won't install or detect it. If we restart that machine it'll detect it just fine. We logged into the entire lab and went to each, plugging in the cameras as we went along and about 1/4 of the lab did not detect the camera. If we tried it the next day if may be a smaller or bigger number. They all have WinXP Pro SP2. We installed all the recent FireWire hotfixes from Microsoft and that didn't help. I doubt it could be the cable since it is intermittent. We tried logging into Administrator, disabling VirusScan, doing all Windows Updates, trying different images.........there is no difference. Any ideas as to what to try next? They're sending us a batch of replacement FireWire cards (same model) but I doubt that will make a difference. I may try a different model of card soon and see what they might do. I just don't know if it could be a software issue.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by acjuelich
    I am having the same issue. I'm a technician for a school district. We have two labs that we installed FireWire cards on. One lab has HP DC5100 SFF Machines (qty. 30) and the other lab has HP DC5750 machines (qty. 12). They all have the same FireWire card. When plugging in a camera sometimes it won't install or detect it. If we restart that machine it'll detect it just fine. We logged into the entire lab and went to each, plugging in the cameras as we went along and about 1/4 of the lab did not detect the camera. If we tried it the next day if may be a smaller or bigger number. They all have WinXP Pro SP2. We installed all the recent FireWire hotfixes from Microsoft and that didn't help. I doubt it could be the cable since it is intermittent. We tried logging into Administrator, disabling VirusScan, doing all Windows Updates, trying different images.........there is no difference. Any ideas as to what to try next? They're sending us a batch of replacement FireWire cards (same model) but I doubt that will make a difference. I may try a different model of card soon and see what they might do. I just don't know if it could be a software issue.
    Are you dealing with HP on this? If you get the IEEE-1394 card from them, they own the problem. If you buy the card from brandX you will have brandX and HP pointing at each other and both pointing at the camcorder. Regardless, HP owns the Windows support issues.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I have the same problem, please help!!

I have a JVC-HD100U and when I plug it in to my PC (XP SP2) it does not recognize it if the switch on the camera is set to HDV, but when the switch is set to DV it recognizes it.

Can anyone be kind enough to explain why and what's the fix?

I shot some HDV 720p footage and tried capturing with Premiere Pro 2.0 and now CS3 but no luck...please advice.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aragoneldragon
    Hi,

I have the same problem, please help!!

I have a JVC-HD100U and when I plug it in to my PC (XP SP2) it does not recognize it if the switch on the camera is set to HDV, but when the switch is set to DV it recognizes it.

Can anyone be kind enough to explain why and what's the fix?

I shot some HDV 720p footage and tried capturing with Premiere Pro 2.0 and now CS3 but no luck...please advice.

Thanks!
    The PC OS (XP SP2) has no support for HDV. Follow the instructions in your JVC manual. Vista Home Premium and Ultimate have limited HDV support for Movie Maker.

Adobe Premiere Pro (v2 and CS3) have support for HDV. Contact Abobe support.
    Quote Quote