VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hello folks,
    I am trying to convert some AVCHD (*.MTS) files to standard MPEG-2 format. What is the best software for this conversion? I've done some searches and looks like the most recognized option is Nero 7. I've heard of possibly Ulead DMF 6 and Elecard.

Any tips would be very appreciated. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you don't mind a scripted method, look towards the bottom of this page. Make sure you rename your file to Input.ts You'll also need to install Avisynth and have the .NET 2.0 runtimes installed.

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=323601&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

This should be the file to download

http://www.bestsharing.com/files/EhLsL239733/enc2mpeg2_NEW_R2.zip.html
    Quote Quote  
  3. I will give this a try! Thanks!!!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi Sooprafresh,

I get a bunch of errors with my stream during the mpeg2repair portion:

Error: Packet at file offset 3010229901 has no TS Sync Byte
    Error: Packet at file offset 3027361532 has no TS Sync Byte
    Error: Can't find next TS Sync Byte. Terminating operation.
    Info: End of H.264 sequence

Any ideas on the cause? My input files are *.mts files from a Panasonic HDC-SD1

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just might. Give me a few minutes to take a look. What I could really use from you is a chunk of the file so I can figure out where it needs to be modified for your type of .MTS files.

Cut a piece and post it on one of the many free file posting sites.

EDIT - Actually, I might not need the file chunk. Are these samples the same as yours?

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=132542&page=1

EDIT 2 - Wow, those are non standard AVC files. You're right, same errors on the samples as the one you mentioned. There must be a way to make them play nice. Lemme look into it...

EDIT 3
    - Okay, it isn't that non standard. Looks like an easy modification. I'll post the updated ZIP file for you in a bit.

EDIT 4 - Well, they seem to use PAFF , which can't be decoded unless you're using an AVC decoder that supports it. The best is CoreAVC ($9 but worth it) and you also need to install Haali Media Splitter (which is called MatroskaSplitter). It works fine via the modifications I made. Replace the files in your folder with these.

update.rar

And here's proof it works

output_hq.mpg
    Quote Quote  
  6. Soopafresh,
    Thanks for the fast and very informative responses! It is very very appreicated!

I tried the new drop and ran into a different error. When running HCenc, I get:

"ERROR: can't process AVS file, wait for AviSynth error message" followed by a series of can't crop error (probably caused because of the first failure). I see test.avs get generated however.

I have AviSynth and Haali installed. I don't have CoreAVC (can't purchase it off their site for now) so I installed ffdshow shich I believe has an AVC decoder. Do I explicitly need CoreAVC for you script?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can you play your MTS files in Media Player ? How are you currently playing them ?

I don't think FFdshow's AVC decoder can decode your file, although I could be wrong. I believe there won't be a free solution until late summer.

Lemme know. The options are limited, unfortunately, but not completely hopeless. If you have LOTS and LOTS of disk space, there's another way but it is slow.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Soopafresh
    Can you play your MTS files in Media Player ? How are you currently playing them ?

I don't think FFdshow's AVC decoder can decode your file, although I could be wrong. I believe there won't be a free solution until late summer.

Lemme know. The options are limited, unfortunately, but not completely hopeless. If you have LOTS and LOTS of disk space, there's another way but it is slow.
    I can play the MTS files in Media Player somewhat but it is choppy because my PC doesn't have the processing power to handle H264 decode (P4 2.8 GHz). Hence why I want to convert to standard MPEG-2. I've installed so much stuff that I don't know what I have that is doing the decode.

I also have Nero 7 Ultra installed. It could be that I'm using that codec. Nero Vison4 (which comes with Nero 7) can actually do AVCHD->MPEG-2 converstion. I've converted some smaller files. But it is barfing on one file that I really want to convert so I am looking at other methods to try and convert it.

I do have a decent amount of disk space (~100 GB) available...

Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, lemme test Plan B and I'll post the files shortly.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Soopafresh
    Okay, lemme test Plan B and I'll post the files shortly.
    Thanks.

btw - I've stuck a small clip of one of the MTS files I am working with.

http://www.yousendit.com/download/QlVqZGVSbEFVVGswTVE9PQ

This one I was able to convert using Nero but should give you an idea of file type. (Trying to convert this with the script failed with that error I mentioned).

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here are the updated files. Like I said, it is friggin slow... The process of converting from AVC to uncompressed YUV is like watching paint dry.

update2.rar

My input.ts avchd file was 26MB, look at the size of the temporary YUV file....

You'll need 43x the amount of free disk space for the YUV file, so a 600MB TS file will need space for a 26GB YUV file. You can delete the YUV after the batch file encodes the MPEG.

And here's an example of the output

output_fast.mpg

Edit: Here's Your Example AVC file. Is that cake or mashies on the table ?

output_hq.mpg

Quote Quote  
  12. Thanks! Definately appreciate all your help with this.

Wow, you weren't kidding about the space requirements. The file I need to convert is a 3 GB MTS file so I'll need over 120 GB for the temp file! I'll need to clear out some space and give this a try...

Again thanks for all the timely help.

And yup, that is a cake on the table. It is footage from a costume/birthday party!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can drop your file in graphedit to see what is decoding.
    You can change merit priority of filters, or unregister even, to change things so the filter you want is used.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Finally had a chance to try this after just purchasing a new HD for extra storage

The latest drop worked a lot better! I was able to convert my smaller clips with no problem. Did hit a issue with the H264->raw YUV decode. At about 4/5 of the way through I hit some fseek error and it aborted. I ended up with a 99 GB temp file instead of the ~125 GB expected. Anyway HCenc ran and converted the raw file to mpeg2 video. However the file is PAL. How do I tweak so that it is NTSC? Also when I try to mux the video and audio together, it is out of sync - the video is slower than the audio. I'm wondering if has anything to do with the video in PAL (less fps - sorry, a newbie thought).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ah yes, my fault. Lemme post some NTSC compatible scripts. Should be a quick modification. You can try this on your 25fps encode, but I wouldn't be too optimistic about the results.

This version includes muxing to .MPG (just for a quick look. It still keeps the .M2V and AC3 so you can mux with your DVD creator.)

updatentscv2.rar
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Im a beginner in this conversion. I hav just transfered all the stream files with .mts extension from my HDR-SR1 HD AVCHD digital cam into my pc. I hav no idea how to play the video in my pc. I hav tried use powerdvd 7 , media player classic bt failed. Finally i found this post thread in this forum which seems very helpful.

For your information, i hv K-Lite standard package installed, Avisynth 2.5, Haali Media Splitter installed. I downloaded the enc2mpeg2_NEW_R2 and update2 zip files and pasted the files inside update2 into enc2mpeg2_NEW_R2. I dont hav output.h264 file as this is required by the DGAVCIndex.exe, am i right?

I tried to run the _encode_Fast.bat, and generated a .yuv file which is very very large, a .mpa file, a .mpv file and .ac3 file. This is how it looks like after running the _encode_Fast.bat.

I was stucked after those files were created. Now i still unable to play the file.
    Can somebody plz help me?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have Avisynth installed ? It is required. Download and install it.

Also, CoreAVC pro can play mts files, but it is commercial software. Only $20, but worth it.

For the script above, download this update and copy the files into the same folder.

Malaysia uses the PAL standard, so use the appropriate batch file.

updatepal.rar
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have installed Avisynth 2.5 and Haali Media Splitter. But i dont have CoreAVC. Any other way?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Open test.avs in VirtualDub. Any Error messages ?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    THanks Soopafresh for ur updated batch files. I can finally see some moving motion pictures. After converting into the output.yuv, bits0001.mpa and .mpv files, it use the HCenc_020.exe to convert into output.m2v and output.ac3.

But when it try to mux these two files into the .mpg format, it failed. I can only view the output.m2v file.

BTW, there isnt any error message when i use VirtualDub to play the test.avs file. I can see the video clips.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's progress, at least So the muxing isn't working ? Try this gui based muxer.

mplex.zip
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks Soopafresh, although it doesnt mux the ac3 file with the m2v file, bt it can mux the mpa and the m2v file into the mpg file. So finally i can watch the video clips.

But it will gonna take quite some time cos i hav bout few GB mts files to convert and also alot of space in my hardisk.

once again thanks Soopafresh.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by ls01c
    thanks Soopafresh, although it doesnt mux the ac3 file with the m2v file,
    He, he, it can, but in a weird way. Either rename the ac3>mpa or type the file name (with the extension) by hand in the window of file selection.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The conversion to YUV is the terribly slow part. If you get the CoreAVC codec, you can bypass that process and start encoding straight from the .mpv file.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for ur help, Soopafresh.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No problem. I'll probably post an updated script in the next day or so that makes the audio track more stable.
    Quote Quote  
  27. la01c - I used ImagnoMPECG-Muxer:
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=ImagoMPEG-Muxer

worked perfectly for muxing the m2v and ac3 files generated from soopafresh's script
    Quote Quote  
  28. Soopafresh - you are the MAN!!! Thanks so much for all your help!

You're latest drop worked great. My video is in NTSC and was able to mux with video and audio in sync.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Great! Nice to hear about results with the script.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, a new version of the script, this time up to 3X faster, thanks to the new celtic druid build of the YUV decoder. Contains all of the fixes from above, all you need is this file (and Avisynth installed)

http://www.wikiupload.com/download_page.php?id=131874

Same requirements- input file must be named input.ts

I'm gonna leave the choice of muxer up to you. The imago one referred to a few posts above is quite fine.
    Quote Quote