VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recently recorded a movie (about 38 mins long) using my webcam. The file size in the end is 5.2 GIGS! I need a way to shrink this down so I can burn a data CD with it, so I need to shrink this file down to about 670Mbs without serious quality degredation. Can anyone help? I've tried DVD Shrink, but it only workds with DVD files, and this isn't a DVD file it's .MOV. Also tried Ashampoo, but not working. Any help?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Baldrick, but I'm already having trouble with this. I was mistaken, many apologies: the file I have is .mpg not .mov like I thought. It IS a Movie File, but of the .MPEG kind. Oddly enough, the program says it's an unsupported format. I tried u/l'ing it anyways, but it wouldn't support either the audio nor the video. Any ideas about this?

Or, any other help from anyone else? Shrinking the file size of a 5.2Gb .MPG file to somewhere around 750-780Mbs.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    < bump >

I don't meant to break any rules about bumping (if you have any), just wanna keep this towards the top 'til I get some more help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    install a mjpeg codec

use super to convert
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, we do have rules about bumping, one or two days.

If you have a MPEG and you can't open it or unsupported, do you have a MPEG-2 codec on your computer?

But I would first drop the video into Gspot and see what it really is and if you have the proper codecs. Windows does not come with a MPEG-2 codec. If you just need a MPEG-2 codec, there are some in 'Tools' to the left.

If it really is a MPEG, then you can re-encode it with a MPEG encoder or try a program like ReJig that works similar to DVD Shrink to reduce the size.

But I think you may have other problems with that file.

EDIT: BJ_M may have hit on the problem. That sounds more likely than a MPEG. Gspot should still give you some info.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok after using GSpot, it says the file type is a "OpenDML AVI". I'm using Super now to encode a copy of the movie to MP4. It's definately gonna take awhile, but we'll see. Is this conversion going to reduce the size to what I need?

EDIT/UPDATE: Great news. Super worked, and compressed it down to 250Mbs! Thanks alot for the help guys, greatly appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OpenDML AVI is the container -- not the codec ... maybe it was raw avi file -- though how you get that from MOV first - then mpg second and then avi third beats me .....

maybe we shall never learn what it was
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote