VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    my father is not able to access the internet at the moment and asked me to post this issue. i tried researching it, but i can't make heads or tails of any of this stuff. any help would be appreciated.

The problem I am having is the cam corder I bought in Gibraltar records
    & plays with the PAL system. On my lap top computer I am using Adobe Premier
    Pro to capture the video from the cam corder. I am using Nero Express to
    convert it from PAL to NTSC & burn it to a DVD. I have tried capturing the
    video in PAL & NTSC modes with Adobe Premier Pro. No matter how I try it the end
    product is jerky (they call it stuttering in the book). It looks surrealistic.
    I did not have this problem when I captured & recorded video from my old cam corder
    which uses the NTSC system for recording & play back.
    They talk about a trick called " 3:2 pulldown " to correct this , but the process
    is not explained.
    I know the PAL system records & plays at 25 fps & NTSC ( USA ) system records
    & plays at 29.97 (30)fps.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi-

Open one of the vobs in a player that can both play vobs and pause and advance a frame at a time. I use Media Player Classic. Or you can use VDubMod. Scroll to a place with movement. Pause it and begin advancing a frame at a time. In MPC, I hit the right arrow of the keyboard. When doing that, do you see a whole lot of duplicate frames, on average one in every 6 frames being a dupe frame? If so, then that's the reason for the jerky/stuttering playback.

What to do? Well, for starters, don't use Nero Express. Make sure you capture as PAL 25fps. The best way then is to use an AviSynth script file to feed an MPEG-2 encoder (HCEnc is free and good). You resize for 720x480 and encode for 25fps. When done you run it through DGPulldown set for 25->29.97fps. Then it's ready to author with the audio, for NTSC DVD.

Or you can buy a DVD player that can play PAL DVDs.

Here's the FulciLives guide covering some of my points:

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=300144
    Quote Quote  
  3. Using PPro to convert PAL to NTSC will always result in choppy results.

It's because PPro uses a crude method to take 25 fps and map them into (approx) 30 fps. Inevitably, 1 out of 6 frames get junked.

To obtain quality conversion, you have to perform either frame blending or full-blown frame interpolation with motion compensation.
    Quote Quote