VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi I have read allot of topics here in the forum about subtitles, and couldn't find a subjeckt that coverd what I was looking for.

After many trys and many prgrams I finnaly found a prog that successfully did encode my avi/Xvid movie into a VIDEO_TS folder with .ifo, .bup and vob files, but the prog I used that was a trail version of AVS Video Converter did not include adding external subtitles.

I have converted my .srt file to a .sub file, so my question is how to put my .sub file into the VIDEO_TS folder so I can burn it to a DVD, so I can wath it on a DVD player that only plays only normal DVD files?

Any Help would be very much appreciated..

Thx!
    DB
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi-

Here's one way:

Convert your subtititle file into SUP format. SubtitleCreator can do that for your SRT or IDX/SUB format subs. Demux the video, audio, chapters, from the DVD using PGCDemux. Reauthor using Muxman, adding in the M2V, the AC3 audio (if that's what it is), the Celltimes.txt (File->Import Chapter), and the SUP file. Give it a Destination folder and "Start". Fix the subtitle colors when finished using DVDSubEdit.

There are other ways.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thx for your VERY fast reply!! Eppreciat it!!

I should have made a note in my post saiyng that I'm a big n00b in this area, so maybe you could spell it out more?
    Guess that U can't just put the sup file into the VIDEO_TS folder and just burn the DVD?
    This conveting/adding subs is SO more complicated then I thought

Btw. Thought that .sub was the DVD subtitle format? But it's .sup?

Cheers DB.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Guess that U can't just put the sup file into the VIDEO_TS folder and just burn the DVD?

No, that would be too easy.

Btw. Thought that .sub was the DVD subtitle format? But it's .sup?

If by .sub you mean the IDX/SUB files (aka VobSubs), then yes, those are image files of the type that are used in DVDs. But there aren't many authoring apps that will take them. More common are the SUP files when authoring for DVD. You can convert from IDX/SUB to SUP in SubtitleCreator very easily. Go Tools->Manipulate SUP or VobSub->Open sub.->Save sub. (as SUP).

The rest of the earlier instructions, about demuxing using PGCDemux and authoring using Muxman are pretty simple. Try it. If you have trouble, come back.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, just looked complicated

I'll give it a go, again thx for helping me out!!

Cheers!
    DB
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, this is where I am now.

Downloaded SubtitleCreator and converted it from srt to sup, no proplem in this.
    Did split up the files with PGCDemux the way I should(i think atleast) got an out put file with a 167.675kb mpa fil and a 4.110.304kb m2v fil.

The celltime text is an empty txt file, but I guess that's because the converting prog I used did'nt made any chapthers, right?

Got hold of muxman aswell and it seemed that it exepted the mpa, m2v and sup file, so I got ahead and pressed start and it looked like a proccess line opend at the buttom with the words no chapters infront of it. And then it freezed.

Any idea why ?
    What to do now?

Cheers!
    DB
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi again!

I tried MuxMan again and it worked, got the folder with all the ifo, vob and bup files on my HDD now.

Now I just have to burn it, so I guess I can't say it works with 100% certancy, but it looks promissing

The DVDSubEdit your talking about is not nessesary isn't it ? Just for choosing colors ect. right ?

I'll get back to U when I have the finished result..

Many, Many thx for your help finnaly I succeded. (hopefully)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hi-

The celltime text is an empty txt file, but I guess that's because the converting prog I used did'nt made any chapthers, right?

That's right. The DVD must not have had any chapters to begin with. You could make some, if you like.

And then it freezed.

It only seems like it freezes. The green bar stops moving and it seems as if it died if you do anything at all with your computer while it's working. But if you'll look at your red hard drive light on your computer case, it's still working away. It may take 20 minutes or so for a full length movie, and when done it pops back up with a message.

The DVDSubEdit your talking about is not nessesary isn't it ? Just for choosing colors ect. right ?

If you like the sub colors the way they are (main color and outline), and their positioning, and if they're in-synch, then no, you don't need DVDSubEdit. If you do want to change the colors, here's a guide:

http://download.videohelp.com/DVDSubEdit/Guides/ChangingColors/Guide.htm

Many thx for your help finnaly I succeded.

You're welcome. Not so hard, eh?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    BIG PROPZ TO MANONO!!!!

hehe.. no not hard atall.
    Just watched myfirst home made DVD with subs working and everything Thank U so much !

Only downsite is the watermark that keep appering cuz I used a trail version of AVS Video Converter.

I have tried many other converting progs, but this was the only one that worked for me.

And it's a damn shame if I have to go buy that prog for 32 euro when it cant even add subs. This is most likely the wrong section, but what freeware can I use to do the same thing?

I have tried dvd-santa, diko, filmmachine and avi2dvd..

Cheers!
    DB
    Quote Quote  
  10. 32 Euros? What's that in US dollars? Around 50 or so? Sounds like a lot. I think around here people recommend the free version of ConvertXToDVD (which can also be found at that link), but if this is going to become a regular hobby of yours, then you'll need and want to learn to do it right. There's a very good and free MPEG-2 encoder called HCEnc. It requires an AviSynth script file, but that's not so hard to make. You get the script by opening the AVI in the free FitCD and telling it what you want. Here's the FulciLives guide:

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=1487285#1487285

Install AviSynth. Use that guide to create an .avs. Open it in HCEnc. Set it up for encoding, perhaps with the help of another guide:

http://www.doom9.org/mpg/hc.htm

Convert your audio (if necessary) to MPA or AC3 using another good and free software. Convert your subs to a format suitable for authoring, as you know now how to do. Mux using Muxman. There's your DVD, and it didn't cost you 32 Euros for a subless, crippled, DVD making program.

Or buy yourself a DVD/MPEG-4 player and play your AVIs without reencoding for DVD. Most can also play SRT subs.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have just made a long tekst replay for you, but when I pressed "quick" reply" it wanted me to log in again, and my text was gone, so I'm just gonna ask you this question for now.

When U say the free version of ConvertXToDVD do U mean the old free version DivXtoDVD?

I will absolutly look in to all the other edvices U gave me above.

Think I'm starting to get feelings for you manono ;P

Thx again!
    DB
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi again!

(this is not to bump up my topic!)

Hey m8 just used DivXtoDVD with another avi/Xvid video, and adding subs manually and it works perfekt..

A strange thing though is that the whole dvd only fills 4,something gb and this one is with ac3 audio(thought it filled more)

Any idea why?

Not that it matters, when the shit works well. Just courious.

Once again thx! Couldn't have made it with out your help.

That's all for me by now.

Cheers!
    DB
    Quote Quote  
  13. Hi-

When U say the free version of ConvertXToDVD do U mean the old free version DivXtoDVD?

I think so, but since I don't use either the commercial or the free version, I don't know for sure.

A strange thing though is that the whole dvd only fills 4,something gb and this one is with ac3 audio(thought it filled more)

How much did you want it to fill? A full DVD5 holds 4.37 GB, and if it filled 4 GB, it should be enough, shouldn't it? Your source is an AVI, isn't it? If so, 4 GB should be enough to give you very good quality.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    About the 4.something gb was me writing the reply while I was very tired, the VIDEO_TS folder was only 2.something gb.

Just used the same prog with a avi/Xvid file on 700mb and now it only fills 1.83 gb :S..

That was what wondered me..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes, convertxtodvd has some problems getting the final size right, use something like D2mp, FAVC,DvdFlick or AVI2DVD, all good tools, that will do what you need with or without menus, multi movie or not, they´re all free.

Like Manono said Dvdsubedit is a good tool to have nearby in case you dont like the deafault colour/position of the subs.
    I love it when a plan comes together!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ricardouk
    yes, convertxtodvd has some problems getting the final size right
    Ok, I havn't seen all of the DVD, but it looks like it's ok - good video and audio quality.
    I have browsed through the DVD from chapter to chapter and nothing seems to be out of order.

So if it's ok I don't really care if it fills that less.

Is there any propblem with it?

DB
    Quote Quote