VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Sony DVD RW DRU-810A and I'm using Adobe Encore to make my dvd's. I have a problem with the write speed of my writer that usually just gives me 2x,4x,6x and 8x. When I burn it at 2x my dvd's jump or skip. Is there a way I can force the writer to burn my dvd's at 1x? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Sony says the slowest rated speed for that model on DVD is 2.4x - so unfortunately the answer is no. Can you be more specific about the problem? What media have you tried and on what playback devices are you seeing this problem?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use TDK dvd disc. My clients brought the disc to the US and the video was not playing as it should. When they brought it home to Manila and tried it on their Philips player it also did the same thing. Should I change my media? Or should I change softwares? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. Does the video skip when played on a PC?
    If so then it could be an encoding problem,if not then it's probably a compatibility issue.
    Use Nero CD-DVD Speed to check the DVD for errors.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    See www.nomorecoasters.com and get better media.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No the DVDs can be played on a PC smoothly. I will try the Nero CD-DVD speed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mommyc
    I use TDK dvd disc. My clients brought the disc to the US and the video was not playing as it should. When they brought it home to Manila and tried it on their Philips player it also did the same thing. Should I change my media? Or should I change softwares? Thanks
    They should clean their player.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by [_chef_
    ]

It's highly unlikely that all of the players need cleaning when mommyc said it plays fine on his/her PC,it's probably the disc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I have a Sony DVD RW DRU-810A and I'm using Adobe Encore to make my dvd's. I have a problem with the write speed of my writer that usually just gives me 2x,4x,6x and 8x. When I burn it at 2x my dvd's jump or skip. Is there a way I can force the writer to burn my dvd's at 1x? Thanks
    If Adobe Encore has a built in burner....stop using it. Export the finished product to your hard drive then burn with a more reliable burning tool like ImgBurn (free) or Prassi Ones (30 day trial and very inexpensive)....and get better discs. TDK stuff was garbage way back when they made audio cassettes too....nothing has changed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK
    Originally Posted by [_chef_
    ]

It's highly unlikely that all of the players need cleaning when mommyc said it plays fine on his/her PC,it's probably the disc.
    Was just a suggestion...you never know.

But probably its really best not to use the burn engine in Adobe.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Are you encoding your videos to NTSC for your US clients ???

PC don't care about pal/ntsc for playing
    Quote Quote  
  12. cd090580 got the golden ring.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by cd090580
    Are you encoding your videos to NTSC for your US clients ???

PC don't care about pal/ntsc for playing
    Philippines uses NTSC also,if you play a PAL DVD on a NTSC tv you will see horizontal lines and the picture will be B&W.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you are able to change to 1X, it is likely to make your problem even worse. Most DVD media doesn't like to be recorded at 1X. I don't mean to be offensive but your burner was marginal when new and now that it has some miles on it, it is probably on its decline. These days you can get a good drive for less that $40 if you shop around a bit. One good choice is the Pioneer 111 or 112. I also encourage you to take Lord Smurf's advice and use good media.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SCDVD
    If you are able to change to 1X, it is likely to make your problem even worse. Most DVD media doesn't like to be recorded at 1X.
    As those of us who own DVD recorders know well, most DVD media will tolerate burning at 1X just fine. Unfortunately many DVDwriters do a crappy job at 1x.

Manufacturer's recommended media lists for recorders show a broad spectrum of media from many countries and factories. And all are recording in realtime.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the replies. Yes I am encode at NTSC for US clients. I also have a laptop which I use to burn my dvd's at 1x. It's a matshita. I still use adobe encore and burn at 1x with the same media and it plays just fine. I concluded at I should always burn at 1x. I was already thinking of buying another dvd writer. Thanks for the advice. How fast do you guys burn your dvd's and what media to you use? I have another DVD writer that's a hi-val by benq, i think. is that an okay burner?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    BenQ drives are notoriously +R Media friendly....and my favorite media(along with millions of others) is Taiyo Yuden -R media:
    http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=R&Product_Code=1736-1...ode=TAIYOYUDEN

I've never tried Taiyo Yuden +R media. I'd imagine it is the same outstanding quality as their -R stuff.....but I'd venture to guess that their -R stuff outsells their +R stuff by at least two to one?

High speed burning is NOT important...but it's also well known fact that burning slower than the rated speed of the disc can also cause problems....especially with today's discs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As heck54 mentioned use IMGBURN to burn your dvd discs which you can set it to burn at 1x spd. I have never burned at 1x spd. BTW your SONY 810 drive is a rebadged BENQ 1640 drive. You could crossflash your drive to the official BENQ 1640 firmware if you wanted to. The Hival drive you have could also be a rebadged BENQ 1640 or 1650.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by mommyc
    How fast do you guys burn your dvd's and what media to you use?
    I always burn at 4x or 2x on cheap noname dvd. All my disks are perfectly readable without any problems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MatSHITas are crap burners. You can only record the DVDs at 1x because these burners support that less discs and MIDs.

Crossflash the Sony to BENQ or get a decent burner and decent media.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How do i cross flash my sony dvdwriter with a benq driver?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You should be able to find the firmware info on the LiteOn/SONY forum at CD freaks

http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44

Looking here will be faster than waiting for someone who knows the exact details.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  24. My new Burner LG-H22N will burn automatically at 16x if the media allows.
    I have found however that many dvd players will not play media burnt at 16x, is there a way of setting the dvd burner to max at 8x, or does it have to be done every time I burn a disc.
    I also use LG 4163B and 4160.

Many thanks
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by victoriabears
    My new Burner LG-H22N will burn automatically at 16x if the media allows.
    I have found however that many dvd players will not play media burnt at 16x, is there a way of setting the dvd burner to max at 8x, or does it have to be done every time I burn a disc.
    I also use LG 4163B and 4160.

Many thanks
    Nope, YOU decide and tell the software how fast it should burn via the burning app.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Setting the burnspeed to 1x (or any available speed) in imgburn or in any burning software for that matter is useless if your dvdburner doesn't support it. You can check it by burning at 1x or 2x on a burner that doesn't support burning at those speeds for dvd-r (1x and 2x is only supported in dvd-rws in my burner anyway). Imgburn will display the speed you set it but in the actual write speed it defaults to the minimun the burner could burn in my case 4x.

I guess you could download firmware that let's you "downgrade" your burner. In Liteon you could try changing the burning profile of your dvd disk to something similar to a dvdrw to so that your burner would allow burning at 1x or 2x. At least in theory. I forgot the software but it is in clubcdphreaks and it is what they suggest when your burner has problems with burning new incompatible dvdmedia.

Originally Posted by budz
    As heck54 mentioned use IMGBURN to burn your dvd discs which you can set it to burn at 1x spd. I have never burned at 1x spd. BTW your SONY 810 drive is a rebadged BENQ 1640 drive. You could crossflash your drive to the official BENQ 1640 firmware if you wanted to. The Hival drive you have could also be a rebadged BENQ 1640 or 1650.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Todays burners cannot burn DVD-R at 1x and it would not make a sense either..........
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Counterfiet DVD discs are common in the Philippines. Did you get your TDK discs at a reliable place, like SM or a Mall of Asia store? Even if the TDKs are genuine, you might want to try something different, as was suggested in previous posts.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Lmao! this thread is so old and someone post to it when the OP had never replied to any of the responses!

[b]filmboss80[/]b IMHO TDK is crap media period regardless if it's geniune or not.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz
    IMHO TDK is crap media period regardless if it's geniune or not.
    I agree.
    Quote Quote