VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. I don't know when it's expected to street, but the philips website has their new DVP5982/37 which looks to improve on the DVP5960 by adding 1080p upconverting and USB 2.0 support.

Details here

User guide here.

Amazon has it for preorder for $69.99 here

Can't wait to see how this handles large files off an external HD that the USB 1.1 just couldn't pass well.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I didn't see any mention of USB 2.0, just USB.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Page 33 of the user manual:

Compatible USB mass storage device:
    – USB flash memory (USB 2.0 or USB 1.1)
    – USB flash players (USB 2.0 or USB 1.1)
    – memory cards (requires an additional card reader to work with this DVD player).

Supported formats:
    – USB or memory file format FAT16, FAT 32 (sector size: 2K bytes)
    Quote Quote  
  4. I don't think that means the port is USB 2.0. A USB 1.1 port can read USB 2.0 devices, it just reads them a 1.1 speeds. If the port was USB 2.0 I expect they would say so directly.
    Quote Quote  
  5. According to Philips technical support, the USB port is 2.0 compliant. Guess we'll have to wait and see. Sales/Customer support couldn't give me street date.
    Quote Quote  
  6. At $70 retail, it looks to be a giant killer. Hopefully Phillips improves their build quality/reliability/ compatibility over their older models, i.e. the 642
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yes & do something about that silly remote control.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by bobsolo
    According to Philips technical support, the USB port is 2.0 compliant.
    That still sounds like marketing-speak for "it's a USB 1.1 port but it's 2.0 compliant." I hope you're right about the USB port though.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Ha ! I was going to buy a 5960 but will wait now. I would think, this has to be usb2.0 as the 5960 already does all the rest, I mean why would a CE company release a model with no new features? 8)
    Sadly it will be $70 = £70 (or maybe even more) *grinds teeth*
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Nope, cant see any New features on there
    Quote Quote  
  11. is that the price?

is that all ? wheres the 1980p I was promised 3 years ago
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hope that it improves upon the 5960.

Xvid support?
    WMV support?
    USB 2.0 features, i.e., Can you use Windows Media Center to play videos from a Laptop?
    Divx Ultra, does it support the menu's from the Divx Authoring tool?
    What chipset does it utilize?

Please post more info as it becomes available
    Quote Quote  
  13. I have the 5960. I will upgrade to the 5982 only if it supports USB 2.0 and long filenames from the DVD and over USB.

Being able to eject the disc without turning on the player and waiting half a minute would be nice too.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Microsoft holds patents relating to long filenames in the FAT file system. I doubt any new player from Philips will implement long filenames for FAT devices.

http://news.com.com/Microsofts+file+system+patent+upheld/2100-1012_3-6025447.html
    Quote Quote  
  15. Someone wrote some home brew FW that supports long file names.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by handyguy
    Someone wrote some home brew FW that supports long file names.
    I've only seen long filename hacks for DVDs. Never for USB. FAT (via USB) uses a very different method to do long filenames.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you all noticed the MSRP of 5960 is $79 while 5982 is only $59.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Specifications:

Picture/Display
    D/A converter : 12 bit, 108 MHz
    Picture enhancement : Progressive Scan, Smart Picture, Video upsampling, Video upscaling, High Def (720p, 1080i, 1080p)

Sound
    D/A converter : 24 bit, 192 kHz
    Signal to noise ratio : 90
    Distortion and Noise (1kHz) : 80 dB
    Crosstalk (1kHz) : 80 dB
    Dynamic Range (1kHz) : 80 dB
    Sound System : Dolby Digital
    Frequency response : 30-20000 Hz

Video Playback
    Playback Media : CD, CD-R/CD-RW, Video CD/SVCD, DVD, DivX, DVD+R/+RW, DVD-R/-RW, DVD-Video
    Compression formats : MPEG1, MPEG2, DivX 3.11, DivX 4.x, DivX 5.x, DivX 6.0, DivX Ultra
    Video disc playback system : NTSC, PAL

Audio Playback

Playback Media : CD, MP3-CD, MP3-DVD, CD-R/RW, WMA-CD, Audio CD
    Compression format : Dolby Digital, MP3, PCM, WMA
    MP3 bit rates : 32 - 320 kbps

Still Picture Playback
    Playback Media : DVD+R/+RW, DVD-R/-RW, CD-R/RW, Picture CD, Kodak Picture CD
    Picture compression format : JPEG, TIFF
    Picture enhancement : Flip photos, Rotate, Zoom, Slideshow with MP3 playback, High Definition Resolution

Multimedia Applications
    Multimedia connections : USB memory class device
    Playback Formats : DivX, MP3, JPEG Still pictures

Connectivity
    Rear Connections : Analog audio Left/Right out, Composite video (CVBS) output, HDMI output, Digital coaxial out, ComponentVideo out Progressive

Convenience
    Child Protection : Parental Control, Child Lock
    On-Screen Display languages : English, Mexican Spanish, Canadian French

Accessories
    Included Accessories : 2 x AAA Batteries, Audio/Video cable, Quick start guide, Remote Control, User Manual, Product Registration Card, Warranty Leaflet

Dimensions
    Set Width : 435 mm
    Set Height : 38 mm
    Set Depth : 210 mm
    Packaging Depth : 296 mm
    Packaging Height : 82 mm
    Packaging Width : 490 mm

Power
    Power supply : 120V, 60Hz
    Power consumption : < 10 W
    Standby power consumption : < 0.8 W
    Quote Quote  
  19. Being able to eject the disc without turning on the player and waiting half a minute would be nice too.
    Wouldnt that require a springloaded mechanical disc tray?

AFAIK all(?) devices that play back divx will playback xvid(home theatre profile) If you start putting in multiple warp points (startrek videos) or GMC( car shows) or qpel(???) then no home theatre device will play them, but computers (and xboxen ) should have no problem.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by RabidDog
    Being able to eject the disc without turning on the player and waiting half a minute would be nice too.
    Wouldnt that require a springloaded mechanical disc tray?
    I think he means being able to turn on and eject the disc by pressing the eject button. Most players I've used will switch on and eject the disc in about three seconds when you do this. But the 5960 requires that you press power button first, then wait 7 seconds before you can press the eject button. And then you have to wait another second or two for the disc to eject. Annoying.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Hi folks,

I did not notice anyone to ask the Million $ Question ...

Will Philips DVP5982 Firmware FIX the ANNOYING problem of NOT being able to play AVI's with "Packed Bitstream" (PB)!?!?!?

Otherwise ... this unit will be as USELESS as their DVP5960/37.

G!
    Quote Quote  
  22. I'd hardly call the 5960 useless! It has played every avi and mpg file I've thrown at it, and I've had very few problems playing from my 250GB WD external HD (formatted out of the box).

FYI, I checked the Best Buy inventory system yesterday and they show an arrival date of May 6th for the 5982. My amazon order still shows April 19 - May 9. Can't wait to see if it is USB 2.0, though I'll be getting it regardless.
    Quote Quote  
  23. OK Bobsolo,

I am going to stop bad mouthing the 5960 ... but it does have annoying characteristics ... you have to admit it ... like it takes a while to eject the tray ... or load up.

As far as the 5982 ... I was reading on some other place and they said they could not find out from Philips own literature if the unti is "Truly" a USB 2.0!?!?! Or an advertising gimmick .. .since any USB 1.1 can read USB 2.0.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing from you when you get your 5982 and your vote on it.

Thanks,
    G!
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by gonwk
    I am going to stop bad mouthing the 5960 ... but it does have annoying characteristics ... you have to admit it ... like it takes a while to eject the tray ... or load up.
    Yes, it's not perfect. But I don't know anything in its price range that's better at playing MPEG4. I'm not sure the Oppo players, at two to three times the price, can do any better with Divx/Xvid.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wonder if this will have Svideo out unlike the 5960. I'm not ready for the HD features but I'd like something that's more universal as far as video codecs than my 642.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by robroth
    Wonder if this will have Svideo out unlike the 5960.
    According to the user's guide it doesn't have S-video. Looks like you'll have to settle for the composite video connection.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for checking, not what I was hoping for but at least now I know.
    Quote Quote  
  28. There is a topic on the FatWallet deal forum about this player now being available in BestBuy B&M stores (not online yet). Here is a link.

There is also already a firmware update on the Philips site. The readme states...
    This software version includes:
    • Fix on TV display 16:9 & HDMI video setup issue
    • Fix on Sleep timing accuracy
    • DVD Playback improved
    Quote Quote