VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Can anyone advise the best (any) software to play VOB files on my Win XP Pro PC.

The latest Windows Media Player v11 does not do it; I just tried The GOM Player, recommended here, and it demands an unattainable (on the web) codec.

I also Have the Roxio Cineplayer but it wants to just play the media DVD drive, not VOB files on my PC.
    Bob Jones
    Ottawa, Canada
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can use VLC or MPC.....Good Luck
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    MPC and VLC has builtin mpeg2 codecs for DVD,VOB playback. If you have a complete DVD (ifo,bup,vobs) on your hdd then select to open the folder or the video_ts.ifo and you will get full DVD playback(menus and such).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks to you both for the recommendations.

MPC did not work - asked for codecs which weren't there on its web site, but VLC does it!

VLC seems like a good piece of software which opens the big VOB files to play the correct video right away. However the small VOB file which is the menu and video_ts_ifo file to call the menu do not work.

Probably is a setting in preferences somewhere. When I open the small VOB file the menu flashes across the screen but does not stay.

I am pretty new to all this and this forum has been helping me greatly in recovering and replacing some archived DVDs lost because of sticky labels and inkjet printing. I see also VLC has its own huge forum.
    Bob Jones
    Ottawa, Canada
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just installed VLC player. Read that it would play PC DVD files. Thought Media Player Classic was supposed to also. I get neither of them to play entire DVD , nor display active menus.
    Tried opening 2 different .ifo files with VLC , and neither produced anything at all.
    Help , please.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I haven't tried the Roxio program, I use Power DVD. It can play DVD of the disc or the Hard Drive and it has a third option to open media files, then it'll play any files you have a CODEC for and VOBs, of course. I like it 'cause I get all the video playback control I want and the picture is great full screen. Just try double clicking a VOB from Explorer, see if anything is associated with it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    To play a DVD with VLC Media Player, just right click on the VIDEO_TS folder and select 'Play with VLC media player' from the drop down menu. Or you can start VLC and select 'Open Directory' and point it to the VIDEO_TS folder. Or you can just right click on a individual VOB file and it will play with VLC.

VLC will also play ISO video files.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have no problem playing MPEG2 in MPC on my PC but I have plenty of software that has an MPEG2 decoder. PowerDVD, ATI DVD, not sure if Nero 6.6 has one or not.

ffdshow may have a libacodec to play MPEG2 with Media Player Classic if you don't want to purchace one and I believe there is a free decoder on this site called Stinky's MPEG2 decoder.
    Quote Quote