VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 18 of 18
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date: Mar 2007
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    I am frustrated. I have many disks that have VRO video files on them. I need to convert the files so I can work with them in Premiere Pro 2.0 and then make into a DVD with Encore. I have tried to save the file to my hard drive and I always get VR_Movie.VRO: Data Error (cyclic redundancy check). I have tried different disks. All the VRO file disks were made on a Sony DVD Recorder/VCR video recorder. The files are all home video that the person wants me to make into nice DVD's with menus and ........
    I have done lots of research on the internet and tried programs that were suggested but just can't get it to work.
    I don't mind spending a few dollars if the conversion utility will work. Any freeware out there that anyone has tried?
    Maybe I am not doing something right. I can watch the video with PowerDVD on my Dell PC.
    Any help I would appreciate, thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Join Date: Jun 2003
    Location: Washington DC
    Search Comp PM
    Usually the first step to converting a VRO files is to copy it from the DVD to your computer. If you are getting errors there you probably have a bad disc. If all your discs are that way your DVD drive probably doesn't like the media brand your are using. Can you play the disc?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member Seeker47's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2005
    Location: drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rsabean
    I am frustrated. I have many disks that have VRO video files on them. I need to convert the files so I can work with them in Premiere Pro 2.0 and then make into a DVD with Encore. I have tried to save the file to my hard drive and I always get VR_Movie.VRO: Data Error (cyclic redundancy check). I have tried different disks. All the VRO file disks were made on a Sony DVD Recorder/VCR video recorder. The files are all home video that the person wants me to make into nice DVD's with menus and ........
    I have done lots of research on the internet and tried programs that were suggested but just can't get it to work.
    I don't mind spending a few dollars if the conversion utility will work. Any freeware out there that anyone has tried?
    Maybe I am not doing something right. I can watch the video with PowerDVD on my Dell PC.
    Any help I would appreciate, thank you.
    I don't know much about this (on the tech level), but I'll relay what I've seen so far. I have copied VR mode recorded -RW DVDs over to regular video mode -Rs, using Nero 6 Ultra's "Copy Disk" function. Some of those may have been finalized on the -RWs, several were not. I can't recall exactly, and haven't had occasion to do this for awhile. The issue here may be that all VR mode material is not the same. That is to say, are the VR files you record on a Sony or a Lite-On DVR entirely compatible with those that I record on my Pioneer ? I'm not so sure. -RW vs. +RW discs is another variable.

    It is not a free program, but have you taken a look at Cyberlink Power Producer ? It claims to handle VR format material. If that can do the job, it is an inexpensive program. Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  4. VR mode MPEG2 files can be problematic sometimes, especially if they are not DVD-Video compliant.

    If you can, re-record the tapes with the Sony DVD Recorder... but this time, make sure you are recording in DVD-Video mode and finalize the discs.

    Stop recording stuff in VR mode. That will save you much aggravation.

    To extract video from the VR mode discs you already have, you may have to try something like ISO Buster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date: Jun 2003
    Location: Washington DC
    Search Comp PM
    My process is...

    It works on VROs from a Pioneer and a Sony DVD Recorder

    Copy the VRO file to my hard drive.

    Then edit the video with mpeg-vcr (www.womble.com). When I'm done I save the file as a MPEG program stream file (.mpg).

    From here I demux the into MPEG elementary streams (.m2v & .ac3).

    I then take these files into my authoring program and make fancy menus then make DVD files (VOBs, etc...)

    Burn and you are done.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Join Date: Mar 2007
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for all the wonderful info. All twenty disks were copied to Maxell DVD-RW disks. Only one has the VOB files on them and they work just fine. The disks were all finalized.
    I just happened to look at the manual for the Sony Recorder on the internet this morning it says you can unfinialize the disk, do you think this would make a difference in coping the file? I could have the person try one.
    I will look at Cyberlink Power Producer, MPEG-VCR and ISO Buster. Thank you for imput. I am almost willing to try anything to get this to work. I really don't want to say to them I can't do it.
    I will keep you posted if I get something to work!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Join Date: Mar 2006
    Location: United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    I am having the same problems with copying .vro files recorded on a Pioneer. I cannot even copy the files to the hard disk. I will have another try this later and let you know if I have any success. Keep posting if you get anywhere with this.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I also have a Sony recorder. Another choice is TDA, I've made a few very nice DVDs from VROs.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Join Date: Mar 2007
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pinetop
    I also have a Sony recorder. Another choice is TDA, I've made a few very nice DVDs from VROs.
    Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, I am playing the Hallelujah Chorus by Handel. I downloaded the trial version of TMPGEnc DVD Author 3 with DivX® Authoring. It takes the named video files from the playlist and converts them. I have spent so many hours and downloaded about 12 different programs and this one finally works! The trial will not allow me to save it but I assume once I purchase the program everything will work fine.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Join Date: Mar 2007
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    If I just purchase TMPGEnc DVD Source Creator 4 will it solve the problem. It says that it "allows you to effortlessly edit and enhance almost any video file and then encode it to standard DVD files that are ready to author with DVD authoring software". It is cheaper and I don't need a DVD authoring program. I have Adobe Encore.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member Seeker47's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2005
    Location: drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johnlm
    I am having the same problems with copying .vro files recorded on a Pioneer. I cannot even copy the files to the hard disk. I will have another try this later and let you know if I have any success. Keep posting if you get anywhere with this.
    Mine were all recorded on a Pioneer also. When I was doing this, I never tried to copy the files. I just let Nero 6 copy the whole disk. The blank was a -R disc, and the result was no longer .vro, just standard dvd format . . . so it must have gotten converted by that process. I may be forgetting some steps here. Probably had to use NeroVision Express to finalize the result into a standard dvd ? Like I said, it's been awhile. But I may have to do this again soon.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Join Date: Mar 2007
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47
    Originally Posted by johnlm
    I am having the same problems with copying .vro files recorded on a Pioneer. I cannot even copy the files to the hard disk. I will have another try this later and let you know if I have any success. Keep posting if you get anywhere with this.
    Mine were all recorded on a Pioneer also. When I was doing this, I never tried to copy the files. I just let Nero 6 copy the whole disk. The blank was a -R disc, and the result was no longer .vro, just standard dvd format . . . so it must have gotten converted by that process. I may be forgetting some steps here. Probably had to use NeroVision Express to finalize the result into a standard dvd ? Like I said, it's been awhile. But I may have to do this again soon.
    Nero Vision 4 – Video Editing and Authoring that is included with Nero 7 Premium Reloaded seems to have it all:

    Support for DVD-R Dual Layer media type*
    Support for DVD-Video, SVCD, VCD, DVD+VR, DVD-VR
    Support (import/editing) of DVD−VR on DVD−RW/DVD−RAM
    Support (import/editing) of DVD-VFR/video mode on DVD-RW/DVD-RAM
    Support (import/editing) of DVD+VR on DVD+R / DVD+RW

    I am looking at it on their site. It seems to have a lot to offer. Nero Recode 2 – The World’s Fastest Video Converter says it will Convert DVDs and video data into Nero Digital™ (MPEG-4).
    I am downloading the trial now!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Join Date: Mar 2007
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    I have been working with Nero 7 Trial for the last two days and have not come up with a working solution. I have tried Nero Recode and it tells me "This DVD is copy protected" it is not unless the Sony Recorder that it was recorded on puts something on it. I also tried the data tab and it won't let me go to next. I tried several of the other programs too none work.
    So far the only software that seems to work is TMPGEnc DVD Author 3 with DivX® Authoring. I have only the trial version so it will not allow me to save to the hd. I also tried the following program (it's free) to convert VRO files: http://flaskmpeg.sourceforge.net/ it works but not as slick as TMPGEnc DVD Author 3. I am also going to try VideoReDo. http://www.videoredo.com/index.html I will keep you posted.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Join Date: Mar 2007
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    I found this thread today while researching to help out a friend. It's my first time ever touching a VRO file. The thread gave me idea to wait and try VideoRedo when I got home from work. Thought I'd share my results.

    I own VideoRedo and have just used it successfully to convert a 2.15gb VRO file on a homemade DVD. This original VRO DVD was not playing on several poeple's DVD players. He asked if I could help.

    With VideoRedo I trimmed off a few minutes and split original VRO into two VOB files (1.05 and 1.02gb in size). I then used NeroVision Express 2 to transcode and burn two DVDs - one for each half of original video. Nero said it was too big for one disc and auto quality adjust wasn't enough so I didn't argue.

    Steps:
    1) copied VRO file from DVD to hd
    2) opened VRO with VideoRedo
    4) "marked in" at beginning of video
    5) "marked out" at a scene change about halfway through video
    6) clicked "add selection"
    7) clicked "save as..."
    8) chose VOB

    You may choose to "save as..."
    MPEG Transport Stream .mpg
    Elementary Streams .mpv
    DVD Stream .vob
    Transport Stream .ts

    I'm not familiar with Premiere Pro 2.0, but maybe one of these formats will work for you there.

    I also "saved as..." a 2.02gb mpg on another disc for him just in case. VideoRedo is slick and fast (only couple minutes to save). NeroVision Express 2 transcoding took maybe 50 minutes for each DVD-Video disc.


    Quote Quote  
  15. Member Seeker47's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2005
    Location: drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Quarky
    I found this thread today while researching to help out a friend. It's my first time ever touching a VRO file. The thread gave me idea to wait and try VideoRedo when I got home from work. Thought I'd share my results.

    I own VideoRedo and have just used it successfully to convert a 2.15gb VRO file on a homemade DVD. This original VRO DVD was not playing on several poeple's DVD players. He asked if I could help.

    With VideoRedo I trimmed off a few minutes and split original VRO into two VOB files (1.05 and 1.02gb in size). I then used NeroVision Express 2 to transcode and burn two DVDs - one for each half of original video. Nero said it was too big for one disc and auto quality adjust wasn't enough so I didn't argue.
    ]
    I was glad to hear your finding that VideoRedo can operate on VRO files, but I think the NVE transcoding may be a weak link. Isn't PQ lost, whenever one resorts to transcoding ? Or is that not the same thing as re-encoding ?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member classfour's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2002
    Location: The Heartland, United States
    Search Comp PM
    tmgenc dvd author
    mpeg2vcr
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  17. Try http://handbrake.fr/ It’s free, is recommended by Kim Komando and worked for me.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gardengirl View Post
    Try http://handbrake.fr/ It’s free, is recommended by Kim Komando and worked for me.
    Not really a good idea to dig up threads that have been answered satisfactorily and were dead and buried for 5 years just to add your 2 cents.

    Your answer is wrong, anyway, since the OP wanted to end up with a DVD. Handbrake is an H.264 converter, which makes it a poor choice for this job. The video in a VRO file from a DVD recorder is already DVD compliant MPEG-2, so converting it to H.264 at any point prior to authoring a DVD makes no sense.

    If someone looking at this thread in the future wants useful advice, Cyberlink Power Producer worked best for me out of all the programs mentioned in this thread for getting playable recordings from VRO files on DVD-RAM discs onto my hard drive. It worked when even ISOBuster failed. ...but Power Producer can't deal with CPRM protection. For that you need relCPRM.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads