VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Here's the Free Method of Editing Out Commercials. If you can afford the $50, VideoRedo is a much simpler and powerful way to do the same.

Note - This is for Mpeg2 Transport Streams, NOT AVC/h264.

Tools Used: Mpeg StreamClip and Mpg2Cut2

Edit: Couldn't find a screen capture program that cooperated with Mpg2cut2, so it looks like there isn't any video loaded when in fact there is.

- Click on Thumbnails for Detailed Captions -

Open Transport Stream With Mpeg StreamClip

Choose "Save as Mpeg" from Menu. We're saving the file as "Capture.mpg" for reference.

It Can Take a Few Minutes to Save the .MPG file

Load Capture.mpg Into Mpg2Cut2

Choose the Beginning of the Clip to Save

Choose the End of the Clip to Save

Click the + Button to Save that Segment to the "Saving Queue"

Forward Past Commercial, Choose Start of Next Segment

Once Again, Choose End of Next Segment to Save

And Remember to Click the + Button to Add that Section to the "Saving Queue"

Repeat for All Segments. When Done, Choose "Save All Clips"

Imagehost - PicTiger
    Quote Quote  
  2. Just buy the mpeg2 component for quicktime ($20) and then you can use MPEG Streamclip to do all the editing (download the January 2009 version of this component from your Apple Store account if you have an older version). Play the files using VLC -- MPEG Streamclip can play transport streams but sometimes has trouble playing the audio, even though it edits and transcodes correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Been using VideoRedo for a very long time and it is the program I have been most satisfied with. Well well worth the few $.

And, there's a beta in progress for h.264 too so you might expect that to come out soon.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by halsboss
    Been using VideoRedo for a very long time and it is the program I have been most satisfied with. Well well worth the few $.

And, there's a beta in progress for h.264 too so you might expect that to come out soon.
    Definitely. One of the few editing apps that has no freeware equal. Worth every cent.
    "Quality is cool, but don't forget... Content is King!"
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    PVAstrumento (free) also had a subset of VideoRedo (VRD) edit functionality and is used in almost the same way as VideoReDo; I used it for quite a while before I found the time-saving joys and reliability of VideoRedo.

In VRD, I have a batch process which (i) QuickStreamFix the captured stream into an .mpg file (ii) runs AdDetective over the .mpg producing a project file of proposed cut points, ready for me to open and edit stuff in and out. Ad detective is 80-90% reliable (the channels "play games" with programs and ads, sometimes )

You are so right, VRD was well worth every cent.
    Quote Quote