VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Does anyone know what brand DVD's have a silver colored recordable side, like commercial CD's and DVD's? I can't seem to find this info anywhere. Thanks, Wendy
    Quote Quote  
  2. You won't. Commercial DVDs are pressed in a machine and not burned with a laser like in a DVD drive.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi, someone sent me one, so I am sure they exist. Wish I could remember where the disk went so I could ask the person!

Wendy
    Quote Quote  
  4. All recordable DVDs use a purple dye on the recordable side, although there may be some variation in the depth of color. There are burnable CDs with a silver burn side. Are you sure you weren't sent a VideoCD?
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  5. No, it wasn't a VCD. Hm
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MANY dvdr rewritables have a silver recording side
    I have 50 of them so I know these exist
    problem is not all settop players like rw's

kiki
    Quote Quote  
  7. DVD RWs have a very dark (yet somewhat silvery) recording side, but not purple like once writable DVDs and not light silver like commercial DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Read by a laser, it gets burned by a laser!!! You're all mistaken when it comes to commercial DVD movies that you buy. I have spoken with allot of people and I have enjoyed fooling them with some error but today I am going to tell the 100 percent truth.

On all commercial DVD's and CD's, there is a silver dye that gets BURNED, yes by a laser the very same method we burn our purple dye CD's and DVD's. The LABELS ( the art work) is pressed onto the actual CD and DVD for that professional look. Some are even painted with state of the art printers. The type of paint they used is waterproof Acrylic, which is some people have ruined older DVD's from the 90's with cleaning solution that were alcohol based. If you had one like say the movie... "Hackers" when first released on DVD -- the label is a waterproof acrylic paint and is not rubbing alcohol friendly...do you dare to compare...It's a good thing they re-released Hackers because not only was the label crap so was the actual plastic DVD was crap. I still have the first release of hackers and the center hole is split and the label came off when I used a professional disc cleaning system that used an alcohol based cream solution.

You should all investigate this for yourselves. Get a free dvd sent in the mail from tomorrows world -- get their 2012 dvd and take it apart by tapping a screw driver on the edge until the sandwich layer splits -- pull it apart and rub your finger on it....wow look at that silver on your finger!!
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Incorrect,commercial dvds get pressed from a glass master,maybe cheap commercial dvds are burned.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Duplication is usually by burning, but rarely used with commercial discs unless the quantity is very low.
    Replication is by pressing from a glass master, usually in large quantities: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BHNyTTx9W8&feature=related
    (This link is informational, not intended as advertising for the company.)
    Last edited by redwudz; 29th Aug 2010 at 15:33.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by dvdsham View Post
    ...You're all mistaken when it comes to commercial DVD movies that you buy. I have spoken with allot of people and I have enjoyed fooling them with some error but today I am going to tell the 100 percent truth... You should all investigate this for yourselves... pull it apart and rub your finger on it....wow look at that silver on your finger!!
    I don't have to investigate this at all as I live it 5 days a week. I work in a facility that both duplicates (or burns) DVD-R screeners (that require a specific type of copy protection that is not compliant to the DVD standard) and replicates (or presses) DVD screeners and commercial discs from glass masters (that have the standard types of copy protection). That's not a silver dye in the DVD you pulled apart. It's the added reflective layer required to bounce the laser back into the player so it can read the information that is on the injected CLEAR layer.
    Last edited by RowMan; 29th Aug 2010 at 16:47.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dvdsham View Post
    Read by a laser, it gets burned by a laser!!! You're all mistaken when it comes to commercial DVD movies that you buy. I have spoken with allot of people and I have enjoyed fooling them with some error but today I am going to tell the 100 percent truth.
    Ummm... yeah.....

On all commercial DVD's and CD's, there is a silver dye that gets BURNED, yes by a laser the very same method we burn our purple dye CD's and DVD's.
    Ummm..... yeah....

You should all investigate this for yourselves.
    I think you are the one that needs to do some "investigating".

It's always amusing to see the truly clueless stating incorrect information as certain fact, like they actually have a clue
    Especially digging up a 3 year old thread to state incorrect information.....

P.S.
    You forgot about the extra large burners they used to put Laserdisc's into to "burn" them!
    The only reason they never released home laserdisc burners was because home PC's were not large enough to house them.

And don't forget about Video Disc burners.......

Quote Quote  
  13. Wow, I couldn't believe what I was reading, so I read it twice.

Sheer nonsense.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone know what brand DVD's have a silver colored recordable side, like commercial CD's and DVD's? I can't seem to find this info anywhere. Thanks, Wendy
    Back on topic. Put the disk in a DVD writer and run ImgBurn, DVD Identifier or any other DVD identifying program. Then look up the MID code for that disk.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    olyteddy - Original thread is over 3 years old! btlover never logged in again after posting to this thread. Maybe your post is helpful to others who might see this thread, but there's not really any realistic hope that btlover is still checking it.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Read by a laser, it gets burned by a laser!!! You're all mistaken when it comes to commercial DVD movies that you buy.
    This video easily shows how wrong you are:

NOTE: When the video uses the word "die" understand that it refers to a diecasting mold process, as used to create the master. It's not a "dye". Listen carefully, don't skim with your ears.

On all commercial DVD's and CD's, there is a silver dye that gets BURNED, yes by a laser the very same method we burn our purple dye CD's and DVD's.
    No, that's a piece of metal. It can't be burned.

The LABELS ( the art work) is pressed onto the actual CD and DVD for that professional look.
    No. Artwork is applied on top of the upper polycarbonate for DVD, and the lacquer surface for CD.

Some are even painted with state of the art printers. The type of paint they used is waterproof Acrylic
    Yes, but it's not "paint". It's screened or offset.

, which is some people have ruined older DVD's from the 90's with cleaning solution that were alcohol based.
    It's easy to mess up CD because the upper surface is not protected very well. It can be harmed by pressure, scratches, chemical abrasives, etc.

when I used a professional disc cleaning system that used an alcohol based cream solution.
    Professional? Was it a DiskChek machine? http://www.discchek.com/

pull it apart and rub your finger on it....wow look at that silver on your finger!!
    The foil is so ultra thin that it will flake off. Actual dye is indelible and will stain your fingers for a while. It's also quite toxic.

Your observations are sadly inaccurate on all counts.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Read by a laser, it gets burned by a laser!!! You're all mistaken when it comes to commercial DVD movies that you buy.

NOTE: When the video uses the word "die" understand that it refers to a diecasting mold process, as used to create the master. It's not a "dye". Listen carefully, don't skim with your ears.
    First of all go back to school. When you use the word 'die' it means death, secondly 'dye' is a chemical compound. For sure you are not smarter than a second grader.

have you ever taken apart a CD or DVD, of course not!

The LABELS ( the art work) is pressed onto the actual CD and DVD for that professional look.
    No. Artwork is applied on top of the upper polycarbonate for DVD, and the lacquer surface for CD.
    You are for sure the most dumbest person I have ever come across.

Some are even painted with state of the art printers. The type of paint they used is waterproof Acrylic
    You being stupid has been proven. Go back and read what I wrote! I said the DVDs in the early 90's.

, which is some people have ruined older DVD's from the 90's with cleaning solution that were alcohol based.
    It's easy to mess up CD because the upper surface is not protected very well. It can be harmed by pressure, scratches, chemical abrasives, etc.
    Man you sure are stupid! I am talking about a DVD not a CD you dummy!

when I used a professional disc cleaning system that used an alcohol based cream solution.

pull it apart and rub your finger on it....wow look at that silver on your finger!!
    The foil is so ultra thin that it will flake off. Actual dye is indelible and will stain your fingers for a while. It's also quite toxic.

The foil that flakes off is the reflector. The actual silver that rubs off is the dye. If you take apart a purple DVD, you will find silver foil (reflector) and the dye.
    When comes to a recordable CD that is silver on the burn side, the plastic is tinted green, take it apart and you will find the silver dye and the silver foil reflector.

Don't be arguing with someone who has taken apart commercial and non commercial DVD's and CD's

You really need to investigate you brained washed tool!
    BTW, the dye does not stain your fingers, it will wash off with water and soap!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    BTW, the dye does not stain your fingers, it will wash off with water and soap!!
    Brilliant comeback. Really got him on that one didn't you?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post

First of all go back to school. When you use the word 'die' it means death, secondly 'dye' is a chemical compound. For sure you are not smarter than a second grader.

have you ever taken apart a CD or DVD, of course not!

You are for sure the most dumbest person I have ever come across.

You being stupid has been proven. Go back and read what I wrote! I said the DVDs in the early 90's.

Man you sure are stupid! I am talking about a DVD not a CD you dummy!

The foil that flakes off is the reflector. The actual silver that rubs off is the dye. If you take apart a purple DVD, you will find silver foil (reflector) and the dye.
    When comes to a recordable CD that is silver on the burn side, the plastic is tinted green, take it apart and you will find the silver dye and the silver foil reflector.

Don't be arguing with someone who has taken apart commercial and non commercial DVD's and CD's

Just goes to show you that even Videohelp.com does not discriminate against the educationally impaired...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    He can't use the quote function properly either.
    Most of what has been quoted as my text is his own ridiculous ramblings.

"Don't be arguing"? Is this VH ebonics week?
    Let me respond with something he may understand: "You talkin' shit, don't be trippin' fool."
    There, how's that?
    Quote Quote  
  22. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldn't respond to dvdsham anymore,what he is doing is called trolling to cause flame wars and arguments,anymore such type comments and i'll close this thread.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So, are there non-purple recording layer DVD blanks??
    More than 10 years ago, I remember CD-Rs in a variety of recording layer colors (and presumably the recording dye or material itself). There were dark blue, green, light green, etc. Now it's nearly colorless. Why didn't recordable DVDs evolve in the same way? Or is there just strictly one chemical formulation for them that so happens to be purple??
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So, are there non-purple recording layer DVD blanks??
    All dye-based media use shades of purple, due to the limited chemical compounds that must be used. But DVD-RW, DVD+RW and DVD-RAM don't use dyes and therefore are not purple. Phase changing crystalline alloys are used, not dyes, and are gun-metal black for RW discs. I forget the what colors the RAM materials off-hand, but it's not much different than RW media. Again, no dyes.

I remember CD-Rs in a variety of recording layer colors
    There were only two: green and blue. And each one represented the materials in use. The darkness/lightness (shade/saturation) was often influenced by the density of the compounds (including any stabilizers).

More often, however, the colors were caused by the foil and plastics used, to give the illusion of various colors. Playstation games are a great example of this. The black bottom blocked most visible light, but allowed the laser spectrum to pass. Crack open a disc, and you'll find a standard metal foil (no dye, of course) and black plastic. Memorex "Cool Colors" CD-R came in black too, leading to a myth for a while there that Playstation used Memorex CD-R, and that's all you need to copy games (no modchips, etc).

Modern "silver" CD-R are simply very pale green or blue, and use a whiter/lighter foil. It's all optical illusion.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 31st Aug 2010 at 17:44.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    I wouldn't respond to dvdsham anymore,what he is doing is called trolling to cause flame wars and arguments,anymore such type comments and i'll close this thread.
    Why close the thread, just ban the ignoramus (simpleton, fool, dunce, know-nothing) troll

Although it has been answered several times before in other threads...
    Last edited by Noahtuck; 31st Aug 2010 at 20:46.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's just not correct. It does stain for a while, like a Sharpie would do.

Last edited by lordsmurf; 2nd Sep 2010 at 18:37.
    Quote Quote